iFollow for 2021/22Season

So, (if you were abroad let’s say…) do you have to buy an overall pass and then on top of that pay for each game?

So, (if you were abroad let’s say…) do you have to buy an overall pass and then on top of that pay for each game?
I just bought a match pass and it appears to be working although I have a frozen screen at the moment. US based friend also just bought by the game last season.

Cant seem to get the whole match replay,just still images and a match report. Is that it?

Cant seem to get the whole match replay,just still images and a match report. Is that it?
It shouldn't be if you're an iFollow subscriber. You should get brief highlights, extended highlights, a full match replay and interviews.

Reminder that Carabao Cup games are not available on iFollow video, god knows why, there seems to be only 4 matches being shown on overseas TV channels out of how many fixtures?!

Reminder that Carabao Cup games are not available on iFollow video, god knows why, there seems to be only 4 matches being shown on overseas TV channels out of how many fixtures?!
It is quite staggering to realise that in this day and age of digital communications, instant video replay, countless TV channels etc, etc. the EFL cannot get it's two brain cells to collide and come up with the ability to broadcast to fans, individual games on a pay per view platform, without making a complete pigs ear out of the whole thing.
If they simply cannot comprehend that their income will increase, not decrease, by doing so, then what are they doing? The clubs must start to raise their game if they wish to survive.

The EFL couldn’t vote to bring back the streams even if it wanted to. Sky are solely in charge of that decision as the rights holder - they call the shots on what anybody else is allowed to broadcast. Last season Sky agreed to waive the restrictions as clubs needed the cash due to no attendances, but now that is gone and the blackout is back. They don’t want anybody not at a game watching a club stream, they want you watching Soccer Saturday as they go ‘around the grounds’. They have sponsors and advertisers and that is their priority, and what funds the hundreds of millions that the EFL (primarily the Championship) is paid for the exclusivity. There is nothing the EFL can do within the existing deal. Clubs can vote all they want, but Sky have a contract. You can’t vote that away.

The real kicker will be when the EFL and Premier League both sign fresh deals under the same draconian terms, because they would rather have a guaranteed cheque paid in full than take the ‘risk’. That’s the biggest problem that football faces - Sky offer jumbo jets filled with cash to an industry that gave up the idea of sustainability years ago, as well as a built-in infrastructure. They pay the money and handle everything logistically, while the EFL / PL just sit back and let them get on with it. The fat cats in suits who just want free meals and a seat in the directors’ box at whatever game they choose that weekend won’t know the first thing about how to set up a platform, nor do they have the desire to learn. They’re here for the steak and the bottle of red, just as they always will be, and there will still be enough punters happy with that. The fact that there are a good handful of people on this forum (based on their own comments on the season tickets thread over the summer) who seem to believe that a little camera pointing at the pitch will destroy the game and lead to empty stadiums is pretty incredible. I can only assume that those same people still use teletext to check the scores and watch Big Break every weekend.

Either way, it’s nothing to do with the EFL as to whether the streams are available this season or not. It’ll only become something that can change when it’s time for a new deal, which I think isn’t for another couple of years. Only Sky can decide to loosen their grip before that, and I don’t know what incentive they have to do so.

VPN.

The EFL couldn’t vote to bring back the streams even if it wanted to. Sky are solely in charge of that decision as the rights holder - they call the shots on what anybody else is allowed to broadcast. Last season Sky agreed to waive the restrictions as clubs needed the cash due to no attendances, but now that is gone and the blackout is back. They don’t want anybody not at a game watching a club stream, they want you watching Soccer Saturday as they go ‘around the grounds’. They have sponsors and advertisers and that is their priority, and what funds the hundreds of millions that the EFL (primarily the Championship) is paid for the exclusivity. There is nothing the EFL can do within the existing deal. Clubs can vote all they want, but Sky have a contract. You can’t vote that away.

The real kicker will be when the EFL and Premier League both sign fresh deals under the same draconian terms, because they would rather have a guaranteed cheque paid in full than take the ‘risk’. That’s the biggest problem that football faces - Sky offer jumbo jets filled with cash to an industry that gave up the idea of sustainability years ago, as well as a built-in infrastructure. They pay the money and handle everything logistically, while the EFL / PL just sit back and let them get on with it. The fat cats in suits who just want free meals and a seat in the directors’ box at whatever game they choose that weekend won’t know the first thing about how to set up a platform, nor do they have the desire to learn. They’re here for the steak and the bottle of red, just as they always will be, and there will still be enough punters happy with that. The fact that there are a good handful of people on this forum (based on their own comments on the season tickets thread over the summer) who seem to believe that a little camera pointing at the pitch will destroy the game and lead to empty stadiums is pretty incredible. I can only assume that those same people still use teletext to check the scores and watch Big Break every weekend.

Either way, it’s nothing to do with the EFL as to whether the streams are available this season or not. It’ll only become something that can change when it’s time for a new deal, which I think isn’t for another couple of years. Only Sky can decide to loosen their grip before that, and I don’t know what incentive they have to do so.

VPN.
I don't come to this forum to read well informed and considered posts. Stop it. I want iFollow and I want it now.

The fault lay with the consumer, Yes that's You and I that continued to feed them with Monthly Subscriptions gave them even more for PPV events of various sports and sat idly by as they added their Annual increase because everyone was afraid they were missing something.
Then along came BT Sport into the mix who got a % of those games and all the European games that don't forget was part of the Sky Package so the consumer then had to pay even more and did so. Next into the fold came Amazon and so the rinsing of people continued as they had a few games Exclusive to them.

They even approach the reason for blackout ass about face, somehow laughingly believing that a few would stop attending rather than thinking of the thousands of pounds income generated from those who are unable to attend for various reasons and would gladly pay to watch their team.
it's such a blinkered view in this day and age where there is so much more for people to do and spend their money on.

Ask yourself why many people sought other means of viewing Football and other sports, the clue is it wasn't just the cost.

The question that surely needs asking is who sanctioned Ifollow if it wasn't for Genuine fans to have access to their clubs matches.

VPN.

Reminds me of the era where you couldn't legally buy MP3s in this country but could elsewhere.

The amount of money the BMI must have lost as people resorted to P2P and torrents to get what they wanted, and others could legally have.

Reminds me of the era where you couldn't legally buy MP3s in this country but could elsewhere.

The amount of money the BMI must have lost as people resorted to P2P and torrents to get what they wanted, and others could legally have.
Hmmm...I see the point you are making but I don't remember that being the case as regards music. The problem was a global issue rather than just the UK - the music companies (particularly the likes of Universal, Sony and Warner) were incredibly slow to embrace the digital revolution and hardcore music fans were quick to adopt P2P and torrents. There weren't a mass of legal services outside of the UK that weren't available here, at least not ones with any real client base,

As someone who works in the business, I can say that everything that happened was slow and reactive and it was Apple (love 'em or loath 'em) who changed the market by introducing a customer friendly platform (iTunes) and an easily usable player (the iPod).

You're right about the loss of income though - it lead to rapidly declining sales, revenue loss and thousands of jobs disappearing. It's only in recent years that streaming has finally reversed that decline. Oh, your other big music difference is that there are no exclusive rights deals - all of the big digital stores (Spotify, Apple, Amazon) have the same offer - it's just the platform, pricing and presentation that differs.

Ask yourself why many people sought other means of viewing Football and other sports, the clue is it wasn't just the cost.
This is a very important point that you raise, and one which is often missed in discussion regarding the purpose of any sort of digital content and gateways. I had this argument a million times when I used to work for and with record labels. People pay for Spotify / Apple etc for the convenience. They don’t actually place the value on the content they’re accessing, they’re primarily paying it so that they don’t have to go around pirating stuff from multiple sources, and can have that access in one place. They can get the music they want one way or the other - millions were using torrenting software over 20 years ago when it was all dial-up modems and downloading an entire album took five hours. What they’re paying for is ease of use, and that’s a really powerful tool.

Do I watch Premier League matches? Yep. Do I pay for them? No comment. Would I pay for them if it was available in one single location, such as a Premier League app that worked similar to Netflix, where I could pay a set amount of money to watch any games that I liked? Almost certainly, and I’m a casual viewer as I don’t have a dog in the fight, so to speak. Would the people in the stadiums who support those clubs passionately suddenly not attend, and discard the experience resulting in empty stadiums? Never in a million years. If it worked that way then nobody would ever go to a US sports game again, and WWE (who have a superb direct subscription service, by the way) wouldn’t be going into arenas several times a week, and stadiums every time Wrestlemania rolls around. Football (much like many other industries before it, and a few others still burying their heads in various ways today) has no idea what it is or how it works, or what the people who consume it actually value. It’s got no clue.

I met Daniel Ek maybe 13 or 14 years ago. The people he was in my office to meet with literally laughed him out of the building. One of my favourite stories to bust out at cocktail parties and gala balls, which I obviously attend regularly.

As someone who works in the business, I can say that everything that happened was slow and reactive and it was Apple (love 'em or loath 'em) who changed the market by introducing a customer friendly platform (iTunes) and an easily usable player (the iPod).
One third of every music sale in return for providing server space and a search bar. Unbelievable that the music business allowed a computer company to come along and take an enormous chunk of their pie for what more or less amounted to making an online library with a payment gate. All because they were too busy hocking CDs to HMV for £6 a unit and thinking it would never end. I remember starting out at record labels as a 16/17 year old right as it was all happening, and even as a literal child I couldn’t believe what I was seeing. Halcyon days…

EDIT: Just remembered that the £6 a unit on the CD was the cost price if you were an employee at the wholesaler. The labels and distributors were selling them to HMV and Virgin for a couple of quid more than that. What a racket it was.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom