International News Immigration

So...10,000 refugees/migrants have already crossed the channel in inflatable boats this year. So we can probably double/triple that number by year end.

The Rwanda policy aims to remove hundreds at most each year, probably at a cost of several hundred thousand £ a pop (we've already paid £120m to Rwanda, plus the cost of flights, ongoing admin, legal challenges etc etc).

Does anyone really see this as an effective deterrent?

The hardening of attitudes to anyone wishing to come to this country and claim asylum and the effective criminalisation of the true victims in all of this is disturbing at best.

If we didn't try to constantly pick fights with our nearest neighbours, then we might get better results and a more collaborative approach to find a workable solution to something that is a global issue (and will only get worse as climate change really starts to bite). And still we are taking significantly less numbers of refugees than other nations across the world.

As a nation we have got to stop sulking, feeling sorry for ourselves and being so myopic about the wider issue.

Point of order (aimed at those interviewees I'm currently listening to on the radio, rather than the relative intelligentsia reading this forum); the ECHR is not the same as the EU. Any ruling by the ECHR is not the EU attempting to bully Blighty into submission. A point worth making, I feel, but one that's escaping some.

If we didn't try to constantly pick fights with our nearest neighbours, then we might get better results and a more collaborative approach to find a workable solution
Oh you mean like the Dublin convention/regulation that allowed EU counties to return migrants to the first EU country they entered. You know, back when we didn't have control of our boarders. 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Point of order (aimed at those interviewees I'm currently listening to on the radio, rather than the relative intelligentsia reading this forum); the ECHR is not the same as the EU. Any ruling by the ECHR is not the EU attempting to bully Blighty into submission. A point worth making, I feel, but one that's escaping some.

Yeah but Boris got Brexit done.

you mean it wasn’t oven ready???
Even if it was oven ready, trying to actually cook it with nothing more hot air, bullshit and bluster, rather than a functioning oven, will only end one way.

The result is a half-baked dangerous end product, not fit for human consumption....and most certainly with a soggy bottom.

The solicitor on BBC News this morning said her client was a victim of modern slavery and coercive control.
That is because they arrived illegally, without documentation, fell off the state radar and into the hands of criminals.
That is what must be stopped.

We have at least two processing centres in France run by the French government and the UK Border Force.
If people choose to avoid that route and cross on a dinghy then there needs to be both carrot and stick as to what happens next.

There is nothing wrong with wanting to migrate to the UK but do it properly and legally.

And for a laugh.............. in Downing Street today...

444 crossing today. How many will be despatched to Rwanda? I reckon 4.
Ah well at least if you have shares in building companies should be a good long term bet

The solicitor on BBC News this morning said her client was a victim of modern slavery and coercive control.
That is because they arrived illegally, without documentation, fell off the state radar and into the hands of criminals.

We have at least two processing centres in France run by the French government and the UK Border Force.
If people choose to avoid that route and cross on a dinghy then there needs to be both carrot and stick as to what happens next.

There is nothing wrong with wanting to migrate to the UK but do it properly and legally.

And those processing centres are really really close to where the people that need them are are I presume?

I mean we wouldn’t just put them somewhere miles away from where they are needed just so we can say we’re in France would we?

You keep saying that, and there is nothing anyone could possibly disagree with in that sentiment.

But as always the devil is in the detail and the reality is that the system has been made so difficult to access and even worse to navigate that is is part of the cause of the problems we see in the channel.

And contrary to what Liz Truss might have you believe, it is not the job of lawyers, or the clergy, or even the future king to come up with immigration solutions- that is the job of the governemtn of the day and they have been found sorely lacking, especically when their MO is to pick a fight with all and sundry, rather than collaborate on workable solutions.

I am reminded of a story Bernard Donoughue tells of his time working for Harold Wilson in the 1970's. Wilson used to complain
frequently about a policy matter relating to what was then the EEC. Donoughue, thinking he was being helpful, went off and worked out a solution. He recalls:

"I took our brief to the study. Wilson read it, looked at me compassionately, handed the brief back, and said sadly: ‘Bernard, don’t you understand, I don’t want the solution, I want the Grievance’."

https://www.parliament.uk/globalass...ation-office/2018/Lord-Donoughues-Lecture.pdf

I very much think that Bojo and the Tories want the grievance, becasue it makes good election fodder for all those convinced that we don't have self determination or any international obligations that should override their domestic agenda.

Is it really news to you that most illegal immigrants will become victims of modern slavery… really?

But that the solution is to let them come across by boat, but deter them from doing so and then when they land pick them up and if their claim is illegitimate ship them off 4000 miles away. Bearing in mind that we will miss some of them coming through too.

Would it not be simpler to set up some sort of processing and holding centre in Calais ( not using the closest processing centre nearly 300 miles away) and then decide how we proportionally respond to each case.

I know that not every case is legitimate and that there are people we should absolutely not let in but we are currently giving desperate people little choice and this government are handing their fate to traffickers.

Most illegal immigrants in the Uk are thought to be overstayers rather than migrants in boats, and if you have an issue with migrants write to your MP and ask what they are doing in this regard. I’ll be surprised if you get more than a flatulence “we’re doing everything possible” response.

It’s not as terrifying to think of these “slaves” that are already here and far less of a scary photo opportunity for the government. Don’t doubt for 1 second that they love a good picture of a dingy full to the brim with desperate people coming across the channel. If they didnt they would stop it reasonably at source.

Would it not be simpler to set up some sort of processing and holding centre in Calais ( not using the closest processing centre nearly 300 miles away) and then decide how we proportionally respond to each case.

That would be nice, sensible and above all cheap. But unfortunately the UK and France have leaders who seem to think of themselves as King Henry V and Napoleon!

That would be nice, sensible and above all cheap. But unfortunately the UK and France have leaders who seem to think of themselves as King Henry V and Napoleon!
Coupled with the fact the Pernicious Patel's relationship with her French counterpart has completely broken down. Little hope of sorting that until she is removed from office....

Three easy steps...........
1. Detention/processing centre and UK Application office in Calais.
2. Detention/processing centre and UK Application office in Kent.
3. Anyone without paperwork/undesirable then send them to Rwanda.

Sorted. :)

Three easy steps...........
1. Detention/processing centre and UK Application office in Calais.
2. Detention/processing centre and UK Application office in Kent.
3. Anyone without paperwork/undesirable then send them to Rwanda.

Sorted. :)

Nearly… anyone without paperwork? Any idea what the first thing a trafficker is going to remove from their cargo is??????? People will have been trafficked from god knows where to Calais first.

Point 1 although I’m not so keen on the language. yep you are basically right.

Point 2 irrelevant if point 1 is implemented

Point 3 irrelevant if point 1 is implemented.

It’s about government will to stop the boats and because they make too much political capital at the expense of these peoples lives they don’t want it to stop just yet……..

Back
Top Bottom