International News Immigration

This is not a surprise.

I think it was yesterday that I heard someone from the UN saying that this scheme was shameful in every way, and today we've had so many legal challenges.

The language Boris was using today also changed from "we do what we want" to "I know it's not perfect but...".

This may be the first test of his leadership since the confidence vote and we may see a bit of backtracking, especially as its clearly not the deterrent they hoped for with ever increasing numbers still looking to cross the channel.

Seriously “open door policy” please point out where anyone asked for that???

A process that isn’t weighted so much to screw these people over. They have a right to seek asylum in any country not the first that they get to. And maybe they speak English, maybe they have family or a network here….. lord knows but it’s their internationally recognised right.

If they were processed at Calais then they wouldn’t need to make a unbelievably dangerous journey. But this government decided on placing the offices much further away to make it really challenging, not for the traffickers but for their cargo.

You also know full well that these traffickers will have taken their futures as payment as well as everything that they own. And suggesting that they could pay like the rich to get in is obscene and offensive.

And these points are why I say you don’t listen.

It’s a fact that they have a right to come here and be processed here. But you and Preti seem to find it ok to ignore it.
That’s fair enough but when do we stop? When the infrastructure can’t cope no more?
They were on about putting them up in former military barracks but do folders said that was inhumane, but it was alright for the troops.
And when the infrastructure can’t cope no more? Get people to open their houses for them? Wonder how many will say yes?

I think it was the point about not being able to accommodate all asylum seekers. If they are seeking asylum and not economic migrants then we have a duty of care. We take in a lot less than most countries in Europe even before the Russian invasion of Ukraine.
But that was just stating a simple fact that it is impossible for us to take on all asylum seekers and wasn’t meant to come across as a nasty comment.

The part QR deleted from my comment was the bit stating that they are human beings and deserve fair treatment.

Nobody have said we should. Even the Lib Dems have said the numbers should be capped at 10,000 (Layla Morgan on QT).

They do. Germany took in 1 million in 2015 alone.

Guys, please post coherent arguments not bullshit. Ta.
Yes they did, then they stopped after a lot of problems on New Year’s Eve a few years ago

Of course it's impossible to accommodate anyone and everyone who wanted to come to the UK, but the idea that we're full is not realistic.

We've just released figures that shows 1.3m job vacancies in the UK. This has gone up by around 1/2 million since the pandemic begun and many industries are struggling to return to productivity levels of the past due to these shortfalls.

School places, GP appointments, hospital operations, housing etc are a problem, bit this has nothing to do with migrants coming to the UK and everything to do with these sectors being massively under invested in. In fact, this has all become worse since we lost many of those working at the lower end of these sectors when we stop the migrant workforce through Brexit.

It's also patronising to think that anyone trying to get into the UK is after a few ride. Some of those making the crossing are highly educated and skilled and would make a valuable contribution to the UK if allowed to stay.

This country is very much weaker, in so many areas, without the migrations that we've seen in the last 50 odd years.

It's also patronising to think that anyone trying to get into the UK is after a few ride. Some of those making the crossing are highly educated and skilled and would make a valuable contribution to the UK if allowed to stay.

So what are you saying about those that are less educated and can’t speak a word or English?

More of the shenanigans yesterday and the Tories get 2024 election on a plate. Blue wall just got stronger.
Why?
Because we don't recognise internationally recognised laws and principles, that we helped put in place?

Have we really sunk so low that our attitude is "we're Britain and nobody tells us what to do*"?

*unless of course there's money in it for the chumocracy

The European Court of Human Rights has nothing to do with the EU and was founded after WW2 with us as founder members to prevent any nation riding roughshod over an individual's rights. It is internationally recognised and respected throughout the world as setting the standard to aspire to when protecting the individual.

Look around the world at other sovereign nations who have that approach and you will see it's a pretty short list and also puts us in the same league as Russia and other dictatorships.

Jeez...what is it with Tories and being told they're wrong? it's like there's some kind of blind spot that kicks in and prevents rational thought. Why is there such a propensity for cutting off our nose to spite our face?

Simply stamping our feet and shouting "not fair" every time something doesn't go our way(and it is a small number that constitutes the "our" in the first place) is a pretty embarrassing way for a nation to behave.

Looks like we're about to do the same with NIP too...and I would guess it will not end well for us.

The country isn't full. We just need 20 more garden cities, and housing estates of thousands of homes to be built over thousands of square miles of land. Forget about the environmental impact. Forget about food security. Forget about the rural communities we have left.

But don't worry, they'll live up in Luton or Bradford or Oldham. I plan to move there myself soon, beautiful places to live. Meanwhile I'll just continue to live in my white enclave somewhere leafy away from them, or at a push I'll live in a metropolitan city where I just interact with the "good ones".

We just need to spend more than the £200bn we already spend annually on healthcare services. More roads, more cars, more schools, hospitals, more waste management facilities. it's easy, trust me. Look at how well we manage infrastructure projects like HS2 and Crossrail in this country. It's a breeze.

We have 1.3m jobs. Forget that most of the people arriving on boats have limited or no English language abilities, or relevant qualifications. Just get them in and ask questions later. How many are highly qualified or skilled? All of them. Source? Just trust me.

And what of their religion? Does it matter that UK muslims already have significant problems with attitudes towards homosexuality and women? And that the arrivals are overwhelmingly male? No. I'm sure this doesn't pose a threat to our open and tolerant culture. Just let them in. We can deal with that later.

Boris was talking about exiting the EUropean Court of Human Rights. I bet that will be fraught with problems.
How many more boat people can we accept of mostly males? I assume that when they when they are finally assimilated into the U.K. and given free English lessons, accommodation and white goods, they’d also like to bring the rest of their families.
I get that we have labour shortages but I don’t think this is the answer.

Nobody have said we should. Even the Lib Dems have said the numbers should be capped at 10,000 (Layla Morgan on QT).

They do. Germany took in 1 million in 2015 alone.

Guys, please post coherent arguments not bullshit. Ta.

Eh? Are you saying the migrants in boats are a figment of our imagination?

Back
Top Bottom