International News Immigration

No deterrent, thanks to the liberal legal teams.
‘Right, ready to go people - 33 of us in that rubber dinghy
But what about Priti Patel sending us to Rwanda?
No, it’s OK, there are liberal go gooders who will save us.
Right so, off we go’.

Like many across the political divide, I’d like to see immigration controlled and regulated and end to the flotilla of small boats but don’t lazily blame ‘liberal lawyers’. These migrants often feel they have nothing to lose and they don’t care about the threats of a right wing politician - they are willing to take their chances and roll the dice.

I don’t know the answers - you probably do, as you seem to be an expert in everything but it’s way more complicated and nuanced than blaming a group of human rights activists.

‘Right, ready to go people - 33 of us in that rubber dinghy
But what about Priti Patel sending us to Rwanda?
No, it’s OK, there are liberal go gooders who will save us.
Right so, off we go’.

Like many across the political divide, I’d like to see immigration controlled and regulated and end to the flotilla of small boats but don’t lazily blame ‘liberal lawyers’. These migrants often feel they have nothing to lose and they don’t care about the threats of a right wing politician - they are willing to take their chances and roll the dice.

I don’t know the answers - you probably do, as you seem to be an expert in everything but it’s way more complicated and nuanced than blaming a group of human rights activists.

There is a multi-faceted approach going on that is well reported, but you can`t remove the stick if the carrot hasn`t worked.

Seriously? You couldn’t Google anything better than that?

There are links earlier in this thread about multi-agency work on the supply lines - you can disrupt that as much as you like but there is money to be made so someone else comes along, doesn`t mean you stop doing it.

The first point would be stopping them from entering Europe, and then stop/dissuade them from trundling across borders unchecked before they get on the boats.

You still need a UK endpoint to deal with undocumented, illegal arrivals that have had the opportunity to claim asylum elsewhere.

Lawyers only work within the parameters of laws passed by the Government.
If the law isn’t robust enough, it’s not the fault of the lawyers.
According to the BBC............

"The flight was stopped after a late intervention from the European Court of Human Rights (ECtHR) led to fresh challenges in the UK courts."

The UNHCR issued a report in 2021 that under 4% of arrivals in Italy were genuine refugees. A further 36% of arrivals were entitled to protective status by way of family etc.
Based on those figures some 60% are economic migrants taking illegal and dangerous routes.
Not only is there the risk to life but there is the "what happens" to them when they are exploited in the black economy - which is why the overwhelming need is for people to arrive through a properly documented, safe route.

"The flight was stopped after a late intervention from the European Court of Human Rights (ECtHR) led to fresh challenges in the UK courts."

The UNHCR issued a report in 2021 that under 4% of arrivals in Italy were genuine refugees. A further 36% of arrivals were entitled to protective status by way of family etc.
Based on those figures some 60% are economic migrants taking illegal and dangerous routes.
Not only is there the risk to life but there is the "what happens" to them when they are exploited in the black economy - which is why the overwhelming need is for people to arrive through a properly documented, safe route.

Why are you using figures from Italy for those coming here?

Oh and further on the 'economic migrants', this is the process involved at the moment:

Why are you using figures from Italy for those coming here?

Oh and further on the 'economic migrants', this is the process involved at the moment:

Lies, damned lies & statistics. 🤷‍♂️

I would rather an individual was able to claim safety in a neighbouring/nearby country and then make a safe, legitimate journey to their destination of choice with the required support & documentation.
It would probably work out cheaper for society and the individual as well.

Lies, damned lies & statistics. 🤷‍♂️

I would rather an individual was able to claim safety in a neighbouring/nearby country and then make a safe, legitimate journey to their destination of choice with the required support & documentation.
It would probably work out cheaper for society and the individual as well.
You do know the proportion of refugees and migrants that do end up in a neighbouring country, don't you.

I mean, the figure that end up coming here is tiny by comparison, so maybe we should concentrate on ensuring viable safe legitimate routes to the UK are not almost impossible to access, as they are now.

We're already using the stick in that respect and it is forcing desperate people to take ever more desperate measures to get here.

But then, I guess if you are partial to a bit of Farage-esque rhetoric when it comes to immigrants and their impact on the UK (leaving aside the beneficial economic impact of legitimate migrants for now), I can see why this might not appeal 🤷‍♂️

I think it might've been Mark Twain who said "It's Easier to Fool People Than It Is to Convince Them That They Have Been Fooled"

• React
Reactions: QR
You do know the proportion of refugees and migrants that do end up in a neighbouring country, don't you.

I mean, the figure that end up coming here is tiny by comparison, so maybe we should concentrate on ensuring viable safe legitimate routes to the UK are not almost impossible to access, as they are now.

We're already using the stick in that respect and it is forcing desperate people to take ever more desperate measures to get here.

But then, I guess if you are partial to a bit of Farage-esque rhetoric when it comes to immigrants and their impact on the UK (leaving aside the beneficial economic impact of legitimate migrants for now), I can see why this might not appeal 🤷‍♂️

I think it might've been Mark Twain who said "It's Easier to Fool People Than It Is to Convince Them That They Have Been Fooled"

I would rather have more, legitimate, beneficial migrants than some people who were "born n bred" here thanks. :)

If we opened a centre in this country, brought these people over and actually processed them, the dangerous crossings would stop and everyone with a right to remain would have proper documentation. So wouldn’t have to rely on the black economy for work!
Simple really.

so no-one can actually quantify how many "illegal migrants" there have been...
Of course they can't. It's the bogeyman that our favorite right-leaning media publications use to stoke fear and paranoia, whilst conveniently deflecting away from just how s**t this government have been in dealing with "it"....and with most other stuff for all but the most well-off in what's left of society.

To actually quantify and contextualise it would somewhat lessen it's potent dog-whistle effect, no?

Back
Top Bottom