International News Immigration

so no-one can actually quantify how many "illegal migrants" there have been...

Since the police became a service rather than a force their willingness to enforce the law appears to have become optional. :)

The technical issue arises when the people are rescued at sea or contact authorities before making landfall, as they are deemed to be arrivals rather than illegal entrants and must submit to questioning/examination of their status.

Expand capacity and ability to hold and process and be pro-active on returning anyone who "fails".

Except 1 is wrong since the NBA Act 2022.

As previously, by all means allow people in, but process them properly so they don`t end up in a worse position than they left.

Except 1 is wrong since the NBA Act 2022.

As previously, by all means allow people in, but process them properly so they don`t end up in a worse position than they left.

So...what has NBA actually achieved, other than criminalising some very desperate people?

And all laws are only as good as the ability to enforce them. Good luck on that front...the border force hasn't got a hope in hell of taking anything but a tiny fraction of those through the courts.

And the fact that we're even talking about "protecting" asylum seekers from falling into an even worse fate in one of the richest countries in the world in the 21st century is a truly damning indictment of just how screwed we are as a supposedly civilised society.

Truly Dickensian.

And still, it's a vanishingly small number of people....and yet some still get SO frothy about it....(including our own Home Secretary, which is unfortunate at best).

Last edited:
So...what has NBA actually achieved, other than criminalising some very desperate people?

And all laws are only as good as the ability to enforce them. Good luck on that front...the border force hasn't got a hope in hell of taking anything but a tiny fraction of those through the courts.

And the fact that we're even talking about "protecting" asylum seekers from falling into an even worse fate in one of the richest countries in the world in the 21st century is a truly damning indictment of just how screwed we are as a supposedly civilised society.

Truly Dickensian.

And still, it's a vanishingly small number of people....and yet some still get SO frothy about it....(including our own Home Secretary, which is unfortunate at best).

I know in your idyllic world there are no bad people but, reality check, there are plenty in this country who will exploit those less fortunate than themselves.

Some (many) of those doing the exploiting are from the same countries as those being exploited.

Still as long as you get your car washed for £10 or your better half gets her nails done for £20 why would you care? :unsure:

I know in your idyllic world there are no bad people but, reality check, there are plenty in this country who will exploit those less fortunate than themselves.

Some (many) of those doing the exploiting are from the same countries as those being exploited.

Still as long as you get your car washed for £10 or your better half gets her nails done for £20 why would you care? :unsure:

And most of those bad people are British, born and breed.

But that just saying because they are 'bad' people in the world nobody should try and do good. With that attitude we don't need global warning to eradicate the human race.

So, you can't point to a single benefit of NBA then?

Glad we've cleared that up [emoji106]

Unless of course you think criminalising the vulnerable is a plus of course.

And I've never had my car hand washed by anyone but me. Never will[emoji846]

So, you can't point to a single benefit of NBA then?

Glad we've cleared that up [emoji106]

Unless of course you think criminalising the vulnerable is a plus of course.

And I've never had my car hand washed by anyone but me. Never will[emoji846]

Plenty of benefits if you could be bothered to read it..............

I could go on but things to do.... 🤷‍♂️

And yet people keep voting them into government.

Apply to any government at any time in any country.

For a small rock in the North Atlantic we don`t do bad.

Plenty of benefits if you could be bothered to read it..............

I could go on but things to do.... [emoji2369]
And yet you still think criminalising the vulnerable is OK[emoji2369]

And you shrug at criminal behaviour that exploits said vulnerable people, while at the same time tarring every government there's ever been in every country everywhere with the same brush.

I'm sure others can see a pattern, even if you're blind to it.

And yet you still think criminalising the vulnerable is OK[emoji2369]

And you shrug at criminal behaviour that exploits said vulnerable people, while at the same time tarring every government there's ever been in every country everywhere with the same brush.

I'm sure others can see a pattern, even if you're blind to it.

Read the NBA and its section on those who exploit people.

There is a very fine line between genuinely vulnerable and deserving of support and the "others" in the mix.

So, yet again, detain, process and admit where appropriate.

If it is not appropriate or the person is unwilling to be processed then do not pass go, do not collect £200.

Meanwhile our continental friends in Italy

Italy are playing to the right wing of politics following the recent election, but that shouldn't mean turning a boat containing many children back to sea.

And from the Reuters report...................

"Local Var region prefect Evence Richard said the migrants would be sent to a holding site where they would be given medical care and their asylum requests processed. Those not deemed eligible to stay would be returned to their home countries."

It is incredibly simple.

Question I’d like to see discussed is what’s happening to the 40000 plus that are currently in hotels for processing.
What an absolute mess that should not have been allowed to happen, or are other countries as lax as us?

Question I’d like to see discussed is what’s happening to the 40000 plus that are currently in hotels for processing.
What an absolute mess that should not have been allowed to happen, or are other countries as lax as us?
There are massive delays in processing, the average wait is 550 days. During that time when they could be helping towards the massive worker shortage in some sectors, they can do nothing but sit in government paid for accommodation. Hell, they could even employ some as case workers processing claims, there is a 200 shortage of those... Given that approx. 80% are granted asylum it seems a pointless waste of much time to drag it out for political ends (I see Sunak is trying to inflame it again today, saying without evidence, that migrants are the most important thing for the electorate - casually ignoring the cost of living crisis and the government funding black hole)
Most other countries process efficiently.

And from the Reuters report...................

"Local Var region prefect Evence Richard said the migrants would be sent to a holding site where they would be given medical care and their asylum requests processed. Those not deemed eligible to stay would be returned to their home countries."

It is incredibly simple.

They need to get rid of VAR. :)

As there’s no legal route for these people to use they will continue to come across. Only once they arrive in the uk can they claim asylum. The majority ( only just) are granted asylum. If we worked with our friends in France couldn’t we have a place that welcomes these people assesses their eligibility to come here. The flaw in that is what happens to the ones that don’t qualify.

Back
Top Bottom