International News Immigration

So, we've been told by those who think they know best that we need the Rwanda deterrent to 'stop the boats'. The deterrent is now in place so I'm expecting the boats to now stop. If this doesn't happen it will be interesting to see who the Tories blame for the failure and the monumental waste of money.

How are the migrants going to know about this plan before parting with their money to get on a boat? I'm sure the people smugglers will be telling them that they have ways around it.

So, we've been told by those who think they know best that we need the Rwanda deterrent to 'stop the boats'. The deterrent is now in place so I'm expecting the boats to now stop. If this doesn't happen it will be interesting to see who the Tories blame for the failure and the monumental waste of money.
Ah, but it won't act as a deterrent UNTIL there are regular flights leaving that are able to remove more than arrive. IF that ever happens and whether the government will ever admit to just how eye-wateringly expensive that will be, is anybody's guess.

The government are just too pig-headed to admit they got it wrong and they should've put way more time and effort into collaborating with other authorities to effectively tackle the criminal gangs who profit from other peoples misery. They are too far down the rabbit hole now to pull themselves back.

Expect a record numbers of people arriving by boat this year as the government flounders around to try and get things in place, creating an even bigger problem than we started with.

A complete an utter White Elephant, which will be this governments epitaph.

And it's STILL only roughly 5% of the total number of people who come here legally every year . . .

I suppose when Labour get in and scrap the scheme it will give the Tories something to shout about from the other side of the house in an attempt to play up to their core.

FWIW I think this plan is doomed to fail but if they do get to the point where they are regularly running thousands of people back out of the country on flights to Rwanda, it will be a major victory and very popular policy.

As I say, I don't think it will happen but if it actually works it'll be great.

FWIW I think this plan is doomed to fail but if they do get to the point where they are regularly running thousands of people back out of the country on flights to Rwanda, it will be a major victory and very popular policy.

As I say, I don't think it will happen but if it actually works it'll be great.
Popular among the 'core', ie ageing provincial nazis, yes.

I am by no means a fan of this government, quite the opposite! But I must admit I'm not sure what they're expected to do about illegal immigration.

They send people back, they're accused of being heartless, xenophobic, wasting money etc
They allow people to come and stay, they're accused of not caring about illegal immigration, not caring about the safety of those already here, giving away tax payers funds etc

What are they meant to do?

I am by no means a fan of this government, quite the opposite! But I must admit I'm not sure what they're expected to do about illegal immigration.

They send people back, they're accused of being heartless, xenophobic, wasting money etc
They allow people to come and stay, they're accused of not caring about illegal immigration, not caring about the safety of those already here, giving away tax payers funds etc

Work with other governments to put the gangs behind bars. Ask yourself why do you never heard this from the government as an approach?

Last edited:

It is (of course) a very difficult problem - and one that is shared by many countries worldwide. There *isn't* really a simple answer to it - but getting to the people smugglers behind it might be a start, although that would mean co-operating with other governments, and this little Englander administration seems to feel that isn't something they want to do.

However, one thing that is definitely *not* an answer to it is this Rwanda scheme. They have had to legislate that Rwanda is safe (how that works is anyone's guess!), spent a fortune and wasted hours and hours of judicial and parliamentary time - all on a scheme that isn't a real deterrent and could only be used for a small proportion of the migrants, even if airlines agreed to take part and the courts don't stop it or the Tories are voted out before it actually happens anyway.

Back
Top Bottom