Ex Player Jack Stevens

Which shows how petty you are. Here are the highlights from last night. Please feel free to point out anything I got wrong in my summary of Jack's performance.

Two questions:
a) can we recall Jack at any time
2) is he cup tied? (I believe he was benched against Exter in the first round)

Bonus question:
d) would he be insane enough to come back here?

Once I see McGinty was playing today you just knew we weren't getting a win maybe a lucky draw but not a win this kid has potential but he isn't and I repeat isn't league one quality why they f**k Stevens is playing for port vale and we've got McGinty is rediculous PLEASE Stevens come home

Two questions:
a) can we recall Jack at any time
2) is he cup tied? (I believe he was benched against Exter in the first round)

Bonus question:
d) would he be insane enough to come back here?

a) only during the window and there may be a cut-off (see our removal of Herbie Kane recall clause last season)
b) Not FA Cup tied as Vale went out in the first round

Some Vale fans been questioning him in recent weeks, it wouldn't be recalling a keeper playing out of his skin.
Think he may come back and McGinty goes on loan, then if Easty's injury is longer term, then Stevens takes the shirt, otherwise he'll benchwarm.

Clean sheet today but Morecambe had one shot on target.

McGinty can’t be as poor as he looks, needs a loan.

If Stevens was a random L1 keeper there is no chance we’d be interested in him based on his performances over the past 18 months, including this season.

If we want to do better than SE, we have to go out and recruit again.

If Stevens was a random L1 keeper there is no chance we’d be interested in him based on his performances over the past 18 months, including this season.

Yep.

Stevens may be a short term option til the end of the season as I rate him higher than EM & SE but we need to start planning now to get a long term number one for this summer on.

Someone like Nathan Bishop would be my pick.

Wouldn’t be against Savin from Accrington either!

Last edited:
We could have had in-his-prime Lev Yashin in goal today and wouldn’t have got a win.

Its the man leading them and the haphazard, unbalanced squad that’s the problem.

We could have been playing without a goal for Ipswich to score in and we wouldn't have got a win in fairness.

I didn't see anyone put in a disgraceful performance and I didn't see inyone put in a performance above ropey. (Among the starters at least)

So yeah, we come back to your last line.

We need him back until at least the end of the season. I live in the potteries and have alot of vale fans who rate him highly. None of us are sure about Mcginty yet he looks smaller than most goalies but Roy Burton can remember him what a goalie he was. But Eithet way mcginty needs to go out on loan.

Absolutely correct. We would not all be saying 'let's sign Stevens from Port Vale' if he were not our player out on loan. He's not a standout L1 keeper. I don't think any of the three are the answer. McGinty wasn't as bad yesterday as made out imo, but he certainly isn't ready- and possibly won't ever be. As this is a Jack Stevens thread, I will say that there is no way he will ever be a keeper in a L1 promotion team. He's a shot stopper, and as an all-round keeper he's not good enough. Teams that go up have excellent L1 keepers, who run the back four, and boss the area. I'm afraid none of the three on our books are good enough. I'd sell Stevens, put McGinty on loan, make Eastwood back-up and get an excellent L1 keeper on board asap- preferably with a new manager. Agree that Savin of Accrington always looks very good. He'd be (?) £300K or so. Good managers make decisive calls on things like this- so of course, it will never happen!

Absolutely correct. We would not all be saying 'let's sign Stevens from Port Vale' if he were not our player out on loan. He's not a standout L1 keeper. I don't think any of the three are the answer. McGinty wasn't as bad yesterday as made out imo, but he certainly isn't ready- and possibly won't ever be. As this is a Jack Stevens thread, I will say that there is no way he will ever be a keeper in a L1 promotion team. He's a shot stopper, and as an all-round keeper he's not good enough. Teams that go up have excellent L1 keepers, who run the back four, and boss the area. I'm afraid none of the three on our books are good enough. I'd sell Stevens, put McGinty on loan, make Eastwood back-up and get an excellent L1 keeper on board asap- preferably with a new manager. Agree that Savin of Accrington always looks very good. He'd be (?) £300K or so. Good managers make decisive calls on things like this- so of course, it will never happen!

Savin is who I posted earlier on about in this thread. 21 years old. Big fee but he could be our number one for the next 5+ years easily.

Savin is who I posted earlier on about in this thread. 21 years old. Big fee but he could be our number one for the next 5+ years easily.
Goalies don't tend to cost that much compared to other positions which is surprising given the relative importance of their role.

Assuming that Eastwood isn't out for long then i don't see a need to panic, he'll come back and continue his good season. Bringing Stevens back to sit on our bench wouldn't be a great move although it would allow McGinty to get valuable game time somewhere. As others have said we wouldn't be talking about Stevens if he wasn't ours, Eastwood is the best currently.

Assuming that Eastwood isn't out for long then i don't see a need to panic, he'll come back and continue his good season. Bringing Stevens back to sit on our bench wouldn't be a great move although it would allow McGinty to get valuable game time somewhere. As others have said we wouldn't be talking about Stevens if he wasn't ours, Eastwood is the best currently.
Where do you think McGinty could go on loan, wont be league football and pretty sure lad didn’t leave Sligo to play conference football

why if given the chance would stevens want to come back other than a contract obligation, 18 games with 7 cleans sheets averaging less than a goal a game conceded, 9th in league and 3 points of play offs for a team that was favourites to be relegated.

that said I know for a fact he maintains a clear good will for the club and especially the fan base that he feels have always been good too him with their support even when coming back from being unwell and knowing his performances where being effected by his recovery.

Last edited:
Surprised by the comments on here stating how well Stevens has done at Vale. Had a look through their forum and to be honest I can’t see that much praise. A fair few comments saying that cannot save simple long shots and kicking ordinary. He isn’t the answer for us

Last edited:
why if given the chance would stevens want to come back other than a contract obligation, 18 games with 7 cleans sheets averaging less than a goal a game conceded, 9th in league and 3 points of play offs for a team that was favourites to be relegated.

Hopefully to try and prove himself at the club he is contracted to in order to nail down the shirt long term. He wouldn’t get much of a say if we exercise our right to recall anyway. I’d leave him there and hope someone bids for him in the summer. Just a shame we turned down some decent money when it was offered, although it seemed the right call at the time.

Back
Top Bottom