Ex Player Jack Stevens

How about some amazing speculation.
Eastwood was due to move last Summer, hence Stevens being given the No 1 Jersey. This didn't happen, so Steven went out on loan.
Eastwood move now back on for the January transfer window. Eastwood gets mysterious injury just before the transfer window opens.
Stevens to be recalled from Port Vale.

How about some amazing speculation.
Eastwood was due to move last Summer, hence Stevens being given the No 1 Jersey. This didn't happen, so Steven went out on loan.
Eastwood move now back on for the January transfer window. Eastwood gets mysterious injury just before the transfer window opens.
Stevens to be recalled from Port Vale.
But we’ve still got McGinty!

Again complete B*****s ! You know nothing about situation just bullshitting

It's funny. (Sort of)

I'm generally about as un-ITK as it's possible to be. I get my info from here and word of mouth mostly.

A few years back though there was an incident involving the club which I knew all about very well indeed.

Some of the bullshit spouted about it by those supposedly ITK was absolutely hilarious!

There are a few on here whose insights and opinions I greatly value. I also have a mountain of salt which comes in handy.

Surprised by the comments on here stating how well Stevens has done at Vale. Had a look through their forum and to be honest I can’t see that much praise. A fair few comments saying that cannot save simple long shots and kicking ordinary. He isn’t the answer for us

The stats say he's doing alright.
In his 18 League One games played for Vale this season, he's conceded 17 goals. In the four games that Vale have played in League One without him (only one of which was against a top half team), they've conceded 12!

Certainly not saying that Jack Stevens is our long term goalkeeping solution, who's going to lead us to, and be playing for us in the Championship. The two weaknesses you mention (distribution and long range efforts) are exactly right and cap his upside.

But I can't help but think that he is the best of the three keepers that we currently own.

Unless we have identified a top class keeper to bring in in January (seems doubtful), wouldn't it be better to have him in our net for the rest of this season?

The stats say he's doing alright.
In his 18 League One games played for Vale this season, he's conceded 17 goals. In the four games that Vale have played in League One without him (only one of which was against a top half team), they've conceded 12!

Certainly not saying that Jack Stevens is our long term goalkeeping solution, who's going to lead us to, and be playing for us in the Championship. The two weaknesses you mention (distribution and long range efforts) are exactly right and cap his upside.

But I can't help but think that he is the best of the three keepers that we currently own.

Unless we have identified a top class keeper to bring in in January (seems doubtful), wouldn't it be better to have him in our net for the rest of this season?
So they average 3 goals conceded in league games he doesn't play in. Bit like us then when Eastwood doesn't play!

Wider stats wise - really not much in it.

Eastwood
21 matches
25 goals conceded
Save Ratio of 68.7% (46 saves from 67 shots on target faced)
13th of 26 keepers who have played at least 8 games (17th of 42 keepers with an appearance)

Stevens
18 matches
17 goals conceded
Save Ratio of 65.3% (32 saves from 49 shots on target faced)
21st of 26 keepers who have played at least 8 games (28th of 42 keepers with an appearance)

I don't think Stevens significantly improves anything on Eastwood.
Both have weaknesses and strengths but ultimately both their weaknesses lead to a similar amount of goals conceded.
We've attempted to turn Eastwood into a more modern, ball at feet, style keeper and it looks incredibly awkward at times. That being said, whilst Stevens is more of a natural towards it, I don't think he excels.

Always surprised that Luke Southwood of Reading (on loan at Cheltenham) has never ended up here.

It's funny. (Sort of)

I'm generally about as un-ITK as it's possible to be. I get my info from here and word of mouth mostly.

A few years back though there was an incident involving the club which I knew all about very well indeed.

Some of the bullshit spouted about it by those supposedly ITK was absolutely hilarious!

There are a few on here whose insights and opinions I greatly value. I also have a mountain of salt which comes in handy.
Football is usually a bit like Chinese whispers. Sometimes stuff gets leaked on purpose to either find out who is leaking it or a player or manager want the wider audience to know. Something that will usually be quite small will end up getting twisted and made in a full scale scandal.

Due to the size of the club and most players being local, if one of them is unhappy then it is very easy for them to drip feed stuff to the right people to start getting tongues wagging.

Keeping this debate simple.
If Eastwood is fit then fine as he's done well.
If Eastwood is not fit, then is EM better than Stevens?
NO.
Therefore we have weekened our squad by loaning him out. Bad decision. Simple.

So they average 3 goals conceded in league games he doesn't play in. Bit like us then when Eastwood doesn't play!

Wider stats wise - really not much in it.

Eastwood
21 matches
25 goals conceded
Save Ratio of 68.7% (46 saves from 67 shots on target faced)
13th of 26 keepers who have played at least 8 games (17th of 42 keepers with an appearance)

Stevens
18 matches
17 goals conceded
Save Ratio of 65.3% (32 saves from 49 shots on target faced)
21st of 26 keepers who have played at least 8 games (28th of 42 keepers with an appearance)

I don't think Stevens significantly improves anything on Eastwood.
Both have weaknesses and strengths but ultimately both their weaknesses lead to a similar amount of goals conceded.
We've attempted to turn Eastwood into a more modern, ball at feet, style keeper and it looks incredibly awkward at times. That being said, whilst Stevens is more of a natural towards it, I don't think he excels.

Always surprised that Luke Southwood of Reading (on loan at Cheltenham) has never ended up here.

Defo no better than Stevens or Eastwood and Oxford fans would go into meltdown when they saw how small he is, saying that a very good keeper

Surprised by the comments on here stating how well Stevens has done at Vale. Had a look through their forum and to be honest I can’t see that much praise. A fair few comments saying that cannot save simple long shots and kicking ordinary. He isn’t the answer for us
Just to offer balance, some positive quotes on Stevens from their forum:

“Ideally Stevens is still here after January. He’s worked up an understanding with the defence now.”

“Feel the Stevens criticism is harsh. He kept us in the game earlier in a one on one”

“Thank god for Stevens”

“a superb display by goalkeeper Jack Stevens”

“Stevens has been excellent and shows the difference between a good keeper and the ones we had in league 2.”

There are also plenty of negative comments but they’re certainly not all negative by any means.

It's funny. (Sort of)

Sounds like I’m as about ITK as yourself.

However I was once a guest in one of the boxes of a well known supporter at the club, Kelvin Thomas the then Chairman came in and was clearly very excited and delighted to tell us all that Jack Midson was signing. I wasn’t asked to keep it to myself but I did. It amazed me that the info didn’t get leaked onto TIU? as it was then.

• React
Reactions: m
Back
Top Bottom