National News King Charles III

With scousers I don’t think the accent helps them, it’s horrible, which I realise is not a nice thing to say as they can’t help. I am normally a fan of regional accents, no other one I don’t like but they have got the worst one on the planet.

• React
Reactions: m
"Have you got any books about Tortoise?"

"Hardback?"

"Yeah, with little wrinkly faces!!"
Man walks into Blockbusters, says to the man behind the counter:

‘I’m looking for a film recommendation for tonight, something with Val Kilmer and Jim Carey’

‘Do you want to watch Batman Forever?’

‘Nah just for a couple of hours mate’

With scousers I don’t think the accent helps them, it’s horrible, which I realise is not a nice thing to say as they can’t help. I am normally a fan of regional accents, no other one I don’t like but they have got the worst one on the planet.
When did the accent go from the rounded Beatles/Cilla vowels to the back of the throat Karl-spit-Robinson rasp?

When did the accent go from the rounded Beatles/Cilla vowels to the back of the throat Karl-spit-Robinson rasp?

The Beatles were middle class were they not? Not certain about Cilla Black but is there a class distinction between scouse accents? The idea of posh scousers does seem strange though, you just assume they all live like the family off of Bread.

The proverbial straw..
I apologise for the language, not the sentiment. Some people need to realise when to rein it in and not keep pushing someone. Mrs ES will thank you as well.

You should have had them arrested prior to their actions.

The Beatles were middle class were they not? Not certain about Cilla Black but is there a class distinction between scouse accents? The idea of posh scousers does seem strange though, you just assume they all live like the family off of Bread.
I think the Beatles were sort of lower middle class, maybe their accent was a bit milder. Or maybe the accent has changed over time, the cockney accent certainly has.

I think the Beatles were sort of lower middle class, maybe their accent was a bit milder. Or maybe the accent has changed over time, the cockney accent certainly has.

True, perhaps it was seen as cooler to have a stronger accent, more authentic or people stopped dampening it down when they got famous?

Still never going to be an accent I take to, at best it will a marmite one as it’s so distinctive.

I was going to say that I don't judge people on their accents - and then I remembered that phase some youngsters went through a while ago where it became fashionable to adopt a 'gangsta' voice and patois and how daft I thought they were!

I was going to say that I don't judge people on their accents - and then I remembered that phase some youngsters went through a while ago where it became fashionable to adopt a 'gangsta' voice and patois and how daft I thought they were!
When I hear a posh voice talk about Orrstralia my hackles rise.

I most definitely had an "Oxford" accent.
And not the student one.
Pleased to say that I now have a Dutch accent when I speak English.
And when I speak Dutch to Dutch people who don't know me they think I'm American.
And that really pisses me off!

Oxford born, Berkshire bred. Town not gown accent

Been in Thailand for the thick end of 15 years. And the locals think I speak Thai with an American accent. But they blame my Thai wife for teaching me how to swear. As a devout Buddhist she never, ever swears so I must have picked up the odd word or twelve on the golf course!

Back
Top Bottom