Ex-Staff Liam Manning

Some are understandably upset and frustrated that Liam has decided to leave after only a few months. I get it.

What has to remain in ones mind though, is that OUFC retained the option to relieve Manning of his duties, had we been relegated in May. He could argue that the club perhaps didn't offer him the security and loyalty that some are now demanding of Manning himself.

It's horses for courses and Manning will have accepted those terms on the basis of having a release clause in the event he was ever poached by a team higher up the pyramid. That is what has come to pass.

Our football club will move on and we are an extremely attractive proposition to a prospective new Head Coach.

Based on those that are realistically attainable, i quite like the idea of continuing the City Group link by appointing Buckingham (on the proviso has has some experienced backroom team alongside him). Alternatively, i'd be interested in Michael Beale or John Eustace, albeit Eustace plays in more of a low block and plays more pragmatic football than what we have watched under LM.

Final thought would be that OUFC must protect our assets in the LM transaction. We absolutely must insist that BC cannot approach the club for any of our players until the summer at the very least.

It also begs the question of what happens to our loan players in January? Conceivably, could Brighton recall Beadle only for him to rock up at Bristol City for the second half of the season? Also, the sceptic in me would question whether or not Stevens may too get a loan to the championship come January, hence his omission on Saturday...

Yes true, the salary is probably the reason, but they are only a mid table championship side with not a huge budget and we could be in the same division next season. If LM thought he was onto something good and was happy here, it must be the salary!
And what's wrong with that on the face of it? It'll sting if he goes so quickly for sure but it could be a move that changes him from very well off to set for life, I doubt many on here would turn it down, especially leaving a club you've no attachment to apart from working there for 8 months.

Sigh. He's gone. Going to be hard to find a manager that compliments this squad and the football we've been playing.

It's an attractive job, we have Edwards and Browne to come back from injury which will go along with Mills, Rodrigues Bodin in those attacking midfield positions.

We're light up top but this squad in second position should allow us to attract bigger names than we did at the end of last season.

From the little I know, Des Buckingham fits the progressive young coach continuity remit, but what’s his current knowledge of English League One football?

From the realistic names being bandied about, Gary Rowett would be my choice.

Could the club put some sort of clause into the compensation deal to the effect that Manning couldn’t sign any OUFC players in January? Wasn’t there a similar agreement when Mous went to Pompey?

I don't think the board will let him go. We're in a good fight for promotion and the prize money would be worth giving LM a new contract to get him to stay.
He's got a modest release clause which means if it's met he can go, nothing we can do about it. Also means he can take players from us.
He loves Billy Bodin BTW!!

If Manning goes now and, like so many BCFC managers before him, achieves nothing before an inevitable dismissal, he'll have had three clubs and no tangible success. In my opinion, he is, at that point, clinging on to a career as a Manager/Head Coach in professional football. He needs a success to join the perpetual merry-go-round, so the questions are: where is that more likely, here or there and what balance of self-belief and risk mitigation is he comfortable with?

I think he'll stay and play a longer game, though if truth be told, I don't know if my heart is ruling my head in that conclusion.
His CV also won’t be worth anything.

Some are understandably upset and frustrated that Liam has decided to leave after only a few months. I get it.

What has to remain in ones mind though, is that OUFC retained the option to relieve Manning of his duties, had we been relegated in May. He could argue that the club perhaps didn't offer him the security and loyalty that some are now demanding of Manning himself.

It's horses for courses and Manning will have accepted those terms on the basis of having a release clause in the event he was ever poached by a team higher up the pyramid. That is what has come to pass.

Our football club will move on and we are an extremely attractive proposition to a prospective new Head Coach.

Based on those that are realistically attainable, i quite like the idea of continuing the City Group link by appointing Buckingham (on the proviso has has some experienced backroom team alongside him). Alternatively, i'd be interested in Michael Beale or John Eustace, albeit Eustace plays in more of a low block and plays more pragmatic football than what we have watched under LM.

Final thought would be that OUFC must protect our assets in the LM transaction. We absolutely must insist that BC cannot approach the club for any of our players until the summer at the very least.

It also begs the question of what happens to our loan players in January? Conceivably, could Brighton recall Beadle only for him to rock up at Bristol City for the second half of the season? Also, the sceptic in me would question whether or not Stevens may too get a loan to the championship come January, hence his omission on Saturday...
Agree with all of this, especially us being an attractive option. If we had interest when Robinson was sacked there'll be even more now with a chance to piggyback on Manning's work and get a promotion. If he does go then we should have a good choice of replacements to pick from.

We should be less bitter and wish him well. Whilst disappointed, we have to accept that Bristol City are a bigger club and at the moment not far from the play off places. Salary will obviously be key to leaving. Lampard was never going to Bristol City. He’d prefer somewhere near to London or premiership club.
My only concern is that we get calls from City asking about Brannagan and McGuane. I can’t see Beadle moving there as he’s loaned to us.
If we get Rowett, that’d be a good result for us, as I think he’d carry on our very good run. He has the right credentials.
Not sure Luke Williams would come to Oxford, then of course I think there is the Swindon connection

At least we are recruiting from a position of strength this time, 2nd in league 1 and with the capability in the squad - we will be attractive to a fair few managers (though clearly not the current one 🥲)

With regard to Steven’s, the club are probably wrapping him in cottonwool because he’s the only recognised right back the club has until the January window.

Back
Top Bottom