Manager/Coach Life After Manning - New Manager Search

Who do you want as the next OUFC manager?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably already mentioned somewhere but Lee Bowyer (not my choice) was present in the directors box last night.

Easy in hindsight but I was never enamoured by Tin Tin for some reason. Could be I'm ol' and I've seen most of it all before.

There is light at the end of tunnel....bang!

COYY'S

Probably already mentioned somewhere but Lee Bowyer (not my choice) was present in the directors box last night.

Easy in hindsight but I was never enamoured by Tin Tin for some reason. Could be I'm ol' and I've seen most of it all before.

COYY'S
He's Monsterrat national team manager, he was watching a player eligible to play for them last night.

COYY'S

Perhaps he's looking for players to play for Montserrat?

Just spoke to a colleague who is a Birmingham fan. She said she was gutted when Eustace got the sack. He did a good job and is a calm and collected type fella.

Just spoke to a colleague who is a Birmingham fan. She said she was gutted when Eustace got the sack. He did a good job and is a calm and collected type fella.
Pretty sure Eustace was in the mix when we appointed KR. He was at Kidderminster at the time. My only concern with him would be the style of play, although i am not sure if he was more defensive due to the resources at hand with Birmingham.

I agree, but think that we could still offer him a greater opportunity.

He's in a great position to achieve back to back promotions with Notts County but could still find himself in league one for 2 or 3 years. That could mean that he's suddenly late 40's by the time he has a taste of Championship football. Oxford should be looking to sell the possibility of achieving this in 6 months.

All what, ifs and maybes, and absolutely no guarantees either way, but I would hope that we could sell the clubs ambitions at least as well as Notts County can.

Incidentally, Notts County and Barnsley are the two coldest places I've ever watched football, so even if we can't compete with money or ambition, we should be able to win him over with the positively tropical Kassam in comparison!
If we’re playing the Kasstad as our trump card then we’re well and truly fecked! 😂

Interesting insight as I can’t profess to knowing much about him as a coach or his playing style. Wonder how many calling for him would say the same?

I think there are three interesting choices: Williams, Buckingham and Mason.

Monk hasn’t coached in three years and leaves behind a fallout with every club he’s been at, and Rowett is a middle-of-the road candidate who does a decent job but nothing spectacular. No experience of promotion despite him being touted as the ‘experienced’ and ‘reliable’ candidate.
Re: Eustace I don't know masses about him but from what I've seen he was fairly defensive and direct at Birmingham which on the face of it wouldn't suit us, but at Kidderminster he played really good stuff so maybe that was all he could get out of the Birmingham squad. Pragmatism isn't a flaw either, I'd rather have someone who can adapt to what they have rather than try and fail to impose their style on players who can't deal with it and there are a fair few managers who don't have that adaptability.

This article seems to hint at the latter, I've not read the whole thing yet but saw these quotes.

“It was football that hadn’t been seen by a Kidderminster side in years,” says Wilkinson. “It was front-foot, free-flowing, ambitious, attacking.

“Some of the football was absolutely unbelievable, to the point where opposition fans and players were calling us ‘the non-league Barcelona’.

“People say it now about Liverpool, if you were a neutral you’d go and watch a Liverpool game. If you were going to watch a game in the non-league, you were going to watch a John Eustace Kidderminster Harriers side.
“Not too long into that, most managers were calling us ‘the non-league Barcelona’ because of the level of football we played, which was kind of unheard of at tier six where we were at.

“And that was bravery. The one thing about John you’ve got to know is that he has no fear. He’s never going to be intimidated by a home or away crowd. And that’s why people trust and want to go with him.

Admittedly these were quotes from the Kiddy match summariser but there were some from opposition managers too. Our squad is suited to good football so I'm sure he could come in quite quickly and get us playing. No idea whether he would be interested, I think oddly his stock will have risen a fair bit after being sacked due to the circumstances around it and the fact it drew people's attention to his good work but it would be a hell of a show of ambition on the face of it.

Oh great another boring type like Manning. 🤣

Des Buckingham or Luke Williams for me.
While I like the idea of Buckingham, it’s ten years since he really worked the EFL. At this stage with us being in such a promising promotion position, maybe we need someone who is working in the league now or very recently. Eustace would be my choice.

Re: Eustace I don't know masses about him but from what I've seen he was fairly defensive and direct at Birmingham which on the face of it wouldn't suit us, but at Kidderminster he played really good stuff so maybe that was all he could get out of the Birmingham squad. Pragmatism isn't a flaw either, I'd rather have someone who can adapt to what they have rather than try and fail to impose their style on players who can't deal with it and there are a fair few managers who don't have that adaptability.

This article seems to hint at the latter, I've not read the whole thing yet but saw these quotes.

“It was football that hadn’t been seen by a Kidderminster side in years,” says Wilkinson. “It was front-foot, free-flowing, ambitious, attacking.

“Some of the football was absolutely unbelievable, to the point where opposition fans and players were calling us ‘the non-league Barcelona’.

“People say it now about Liverpool, if you were a neutral you’d go and watch a Liverpool game. If you were going to watch a game in the non-league, you were going to watch a John Eustace Kidderminster Harriers side.
“Not too long into that, most managers were calling us ‘the non-league Barcelona’ because of the level of football we played, which was kind of unheard of at tier six where we were at.

“And that was bravery. The one thing about John you’ve got to know is that he has no fear. He’s never going to be intimidated by a home or away crowd. And that’s why people trust and want to go with him.

Admittedly these were quotes from the Kiddy match summariser but there were some from opposition managers too. Our squad is suited to good football so I'm sure he could come in quite quickly and get us playing. No idea whether he would be interested, I think oddly his stock will have risen a fair bit after being sacked due to the circumstances around it and the fact it drew people's attention to his good work but it would be a hell of a show of ambition on the face of it.
Interesting. I had him down as a more defence-minded coach but perhaps that's an injustice and something to his credit that he recognised what he had and what he was up against. It would be a different ball game here as we're superior to most on paper and he could be a little more assertive in games. I'd dismissed him up to now, perhaps wrongly.

It quite appeals to me that he was one thing in his playing days and something completely contrasting to that in what he promotes as a coach. That seems to me like a very nice combination of commitment & aggression while also keeping some swagger to what we do on the ball. He's an interesting one.

New poster on the forums here. Just left my thoughts on Manning on the other thread.

I'd be happy with Eustace or Buckingham as our next manager.

Eustace has a point to prove, and surely won't want to be out of management for too long, so can see him being the more realistic target.

Buckingham obvs has the Oxford connections, and appears to be a coach in a similar mould to Manning.

Only risk with either of these, is that they might use us a stepping stone to bigger roles. As Manning has just proven loyalty is a fickle thing in football!

While I like the idea of Buckingham, it’s ten years since he really worked the EFL. At this stage with us being in such a promising promotion position, maybe we need someone who is working in the league now or very recently. Eustace would be my choice.
I think I agree with this not being the right time for Buckingham.

Eustace has to be offered an interview. Plus the bonus with him is that his Championship experience will come in handy next season 👍

If Buckingham didn’t have the Oxford connection I don’t think many would be giving him a second look. Given those that will be making the decision here also have no connection to the club from that time, I’d be surprised if he was appointed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom