Ex Player Mark Sykes

Regardless of which division we are in next season, Sykes needs to be offered a contract which means he signs. He is our most natural successor to James Henry, his versatility as well is a bonus. He seems to go under the radar but he has matured this season and his decision making is much better.

Agree, maybe Sykes and the club are seeing what division we will be in next season before discussions over a new contract will be had.

Regardless of which division we are in next season, Sykes needs to be offered a contract which means he signs. He is our most natural successor to James Henry, his versatility as well is a bonus. He seems to go under the radar but he has matured this season and his decision making is much better.

Unfortunately, unless we get promoted, we could make Sykes one of highest earners and he could still double his money at a Championship club.
Of course, if we do get promoted, I would hope Sykes and Brannagan are offered contracts they can't turn down.

It sounds like he has been offered a new contract a number of times.
I think that the only way he will sign is if we are promoted. In reality the only way that we will keep Brannagan also will be if we are promoted.

Always think it’s strange that Sykes always seems to do the post match walk around the ground on his own away from team mates. He’s normally first down the tunnel, he does applaud the fans so nothing wrong with that, just seems odd he’s not with his teammates for most of the walk. Probably just a time for him to reflect on the game and what he did so not reading too much into it.

Weren’t Charlton interested in Sykes last summer. I bet he’s glad he didn’t go there

Always think it’s strange that Sykes always seems to do the post match walk around the ground on his own away from team mates. He’s normally first down the tunnel, he does applaud the fans so nothing wrong with that, just seems odd he’s not with his teammates for most of the walk. Probably just a time for him to reflect on the game and what he did so not reading too much into it.
Agreed always found it strange there’s been plenty of times before where he wouldn’t even walk round the pitch he’d just stand near the dugout

Agree that he is lightyears better this season than the previous two.
He's always been hard-working and skillful, but this year he has finally added some end product to his game (rather than looking like a deer in headlights every time he got near the penalty area), and he's now a really solid player.

Good enough for a Championship team to pick him up though? Harder to say. Would be a bit of a risk as to whether he could make that step up in quality. Although I guess the price-tag (or lack of one) will make it a more attractive risk for someone to take.

I can see why Sykes and his agent might be willing to make a bet on themselves though, given the wages on offer. He certainly seems to be an ambitious lad.

Agree that he is lightyears better this season than the previous two.
He's always been hard-working and skillful, but this year he has finally added some end product to his game (rather than looking like a deer in headlights every time he got near the penalty area), and he's now a really solid player.

Good enough for a Championship team to pick him up though? Harder to say. Would be a bit of a risk as to whether he could make that step up in quality. Although I guess the price-tag (or lack of one) will make it a more attractive risk for someone to take.

I can see why Sykes and his agent might be willing to make a bet on themselves though, given the wages on offer. He certainly seems to be an ambitious lad.
If you look at any teams that go up in this division you have to improve massively just to stay up,which means getting better players in.
Branagan is one player who is good enough but you look at the rest and defensively we need a new back four.
Browne is good enough but Taylor has struggled in the Championship before
Sykes could do well but other than that we will need new blood

We'll have to do our business early if we get promoted with an entire squad needed other than Cam, Browne and maybe an out of contract Sykes!!!

If you look at any teams that go up in this division you have to improve massively just to stay up,which means getting better players in.
Branagan is one player who is good enough but you look at the rest and defensively we need a new back four.
Blackpool have done very well despite losing one of their best players.
I disagree that you need massive change.
You need very good management and 4 to 5 quality additions.
Didn't Taylor just play for Bristol City in the Championship? He played 67 games in 3 seasons. I wouldn't bet against him scoring g in the Championship in the right team.

Have Blackpool signed a whole new team? We’d certainly need a few more in but I don’t think it would be an Ipswich-style revolution

I have thought exactly the same and as you say nothing wrong with it.

The bloke is pure class and to think some people on here would of been pleased if we'd let him go to say Ipswich for 250k.

Holding onto the likes of Sykes and Cam in the Jan window was huge and the club was rightly applauded for it

Didn't Taylor just play for Bristol City in the Championship? He played 67 games in 3 seasons. I wouldn't bet against him scoring g in the Championship in the right team.

It's a little hard to predict though, isn't it.

I mean Peterborough & Blackpool both appear to have used the same strategy. As you said, 4-5 new additions to complement the core of the squad that got them promoted.

But although Posh were a much better side than Blackpool last year, they've really struggled and look set for an ignominious relegation.
The players that got them up (Pym, Kent, Beevers, Szmodics, Clarke-Harris etc.) have really mostly failed to make the step up to the next level.

Same the year before - Coventry did great; Wycombe struggled.
And the year before that - Luton did great; Charlton struggled

(I'm ignoring the perennial Barnsley/Rotherham yo-yoing because those two clubs basically permanently seem to play in the 2.5th tier)

Which I guess means it all comes down to the highlighted part of your post - can the management hack it, and understand how to set the team up for success in a better league against higher quality opponents?

Yes, I’ve noticed this often too.

Sykes alone at the front, Agyei was often alone at the back.

Yes they have and they were the best team last season in my opinion look how much stronger they were than us

We need a new keeper but keep Stevens as back up

The amount of goals we concede is shocking for this level let alone the next level, would keep Mc Nally, Long and Moore but as back up

Branagan , Browne and Skyes are the three definitely worth keeping in a starting eleven

Taylor may have played 67 times but scored only 7 goals again I would keep him as a back up

If we can sign Baldock and Kane great plus Thornilley we have a nucleus of a team

Also keep Williams as he is so versatile

Have Blackpool signed a whole new team? We’d certainly need a few more in but I don’t think it would be an Ipswich-style revolution
Our current team would still be hard pressed to beat the Blackpool of last season they were strong and powerful all over the pitch

Back
Top Bottom