Current Player #9 Mark Harris

@dickwalton1964 you had your big serving of humble pie yet? 😁

Haha🤣🤣 …. You have though since missed a post (maybe more than one actually) of mine - back in February I think it was - where I’ve already back tracked and admitted I might have got my initial assessment wrong. He’s been brilliant and is certainly one of our very best players. I still maintain he’s not a natural poacher in the mould of say a John Aldridge at Oxford type, but if you’re getting 20 goals, allied with that work rate and all round game, then that’s one hell of a player. Can’t fault him👏👏👏 👏👏👏👏

Have to confess, I had really lost patience with him after the Orient game in November. It was lost a little in the win and the post match celebrations, but we came very close to throwing away a three goal lead in that game, not least because Sparky kept missing gilt-edged chances.

How wrong I was. The guy has absolutely flourished under Des. He’s got so many strings to his bow - tidy one touch finishes (Charlton (A)), poacher’s instinct (Blackpool (A)), and pretty spectacular solo efforts (Cov, Derby and yesterday all spring to mind). His engine is also absolutely unbelievable and he’s such a key part of the way we play.

A really excellent piece of summer business. I know Matty has a fond place in all our hearts but Sparky has been a big upgrade in the striker department this year for me. I wouldn’t go so far as to say POTS - I think Moore and Brannagan hve rightly been recognised in that respect for far more consistency over the course of the season - but he’s deservedly become a real fan favourite, and I can see him becoming a bit of a cult hero around these parts if he sticks with us.

Forget stats, my eyes don’t deceive me. Harris is missing gilt edged chances. He’s had chances he’s fluffed and there have been chances where he’s just not there. I can’t remember the game at home a few weeks back where four balls were put across the face of goal, an out and out goal scorer helps himself to two of those at least. Decent enough player With a great work ethic but a goal scorer he isn’t.
Decent enough player ✅
Great work ethic ✅
Goalscorer ✅

The only stat that counts is 19 goals, that is decent for a main striker.
Some people are not satisfied with that.

Decent enough player ✅
Great work ethic ✅
Goalscorer ✅
To be fair, he wrote that in November when Short was caretaker before Des was appointed. And at the time Harris last scored a league goal at Derby on 15th August, three months before.
That is a very long time for a striker to go without a goal.
What has happened since Des has come in is he has got Harris playing more central and getting into positions centrally around the area, Scotchers has mentioned this earlier . The supply from the wings has also improved. These changes have improved him as a striker without doubt. I still don't think he's a 'natural' striker but one who has to work for his goals and boy does he work hard, no question about that.
I like him a lot and he's a valued member of the team

I don’t think Harris is a ‘natural’ finisher, a poacher, a ‘fox in the box’ type. He can however score goals, is quick, powerful, athletic, works incredibly hard and scores goals. He’s a very decent League One striker, as he’s shown.

I think there’s no reason why he can’t be one of the best strikers in the league.

However that would mean giving him appropriate rest and rotation.

He’s been run in the ground by us this season with the lack of support!

Haha🤣🤣 …. You have though since missed a post (maybe more than one actually) of mine - back in February I think it was - where I’ve already back tracked and admitted I might have got my initial assessment wrong. He’s been brilliant and is certainly one of our very best players. I still maintain he’s not a natural poacher in the mould of say a John Aldridge at Oxford type, but if you’re getting 20 goals, allied with that work rate and all round game, then that’s one hell of a player. Can’t fault him👏👏👏 👏👏👏👏
Couldn't hit a barn door at the beginning of the season, I think the team set up now, suits him better. But what do I know 😆

He has been a very, very good signing. A (near as dammit) 20 goal a season striker who also works his socks off closing the opposition down and can pass the ball as well? If we'd been offered that last summer we would have rightly jumped at the chance. He's not perfect, but name me a single player in L1 (striker or otherwise) who is! What he does need is some help up front that is fit and match fit over the course of a season, so that we have another option or two should he hit a dry patch or be injured. Or just to give the poor bloke a rest!

Couldn't hit a barn door at the beginning of the season, I think the team set up now, suits him better. But what do I know 😆
He had a great start to the season. Where he struggled was the middle. Bu the never gave up, and seldom had a game where he didn't contribute.

By the way, did he start the move on Saturday that led to his goal? His link play is as good as any striker I've seen play for the club.

To be fair, he wrote that in November when Short was caretaker before Des was appointed. And at the time Harris last scored a league goal at Derby on 15th August, three months before.
That is a very long time for a striker to go without a goal.
What has happened since Des has come in is he has got Harris playing more central and getting into positions centrally around the area, Scotchers has mentioned this earlier . The supply from the wings has also improved. These changes have improved him as a striker without doubt. I still don't think he's a 'natural' striker but one who has to work for his goals and boy does he work hard, no question about that.
I like him a lot and he's a valued member of the team
Yes, just goes to show you can't write off a striker's goalscoring ability so easily

Back
Top Bottom