General Modern Life...........

That dystopian reality is on its way........... don`t say you were not warned.

Ah, the dystopian nightmare of the future supermarket. As predicted by Radiohead in 1995...

7PN5XLPGQZFWBPEHG6T4BGXX6U.jpg

I’ve embraced most new technology, but making a table reservation on the internet
I much, much, much prefer booking a table reservation for a restaurant online.

In the before times:

*Ring Ring*
*Ring Ring*

No answer.

I hold off confirming plans and try again a bit later… no answer. I’m still in limbo.

Eventually, after hanging on the phone for 5 mins letting it ring, a stressed and angry sounding person answers “Hello??” I try and explain what I want and they angrily demand what time and how many people. They don’t have the time I want. They ask me what time I want instead. I’m not sure, but I suggest another time. They don’t have that either. I ask what they do have? They rattle off a load of times. I have to quickly decide, or try and remember them, talk to the wife and ring back later, knowing I won’t get through. I book some time that I’m not sure that I want, and hang up, having wasted a load of time and been shouted at by an angry, miserable person.

INSTEAD:

I calmly go online, click the day that I want and see all available times. I chat with the people involved and pick a time, click book and immediately get a confirmatory email. It’s taken a fraction of the time and none of the stress of ringing up.

I then check the menu online before going so I know what I want. I check for any deals and download a discount voucher which gives me two for one on main meals. I arrive at the restaurant, get seated at the table and quickly and easily order on the app, not having to wait for the waitress to come over to order, rather ordering when I want to, and easily making any changes or substitutions that I want to the food. Whenever I want a drink, I just order one on the app and it arrives swiftly, again not having to catch anyone’s eye or wait to be asked. Bliss.

Oh, and unlike EVERY restaurant I’ve ever been to, when the meal ends I don’t just sit waiting for AGES to pay, trying to catch someone’s eye… I just do it quickly and easily online, exactly when I want to. Much, much, much better.

Last edited:

In the before times:

*Ring Ring*
*Ring Ring*

No answer.

I hold off confirming plans and try again a bit later… no answer. I’m still in limbo.

Eventually, after hanging on the phone for 5 mins letting it ring, a stressed and angry sounding person answers “Hello??” I try and explain what I want and they angrily demand what time and how many people. They don’t have the time I want. They ask me what time I want instead. I’m not sure, but I suggest another time. They don’t have that either. I ask what they do have? They rattle off a load of times. I have to quickly decide, or try and remember them, talk to the wife and ring back later, knowing I won’t get through. I book some time that I’m not sure that I want, and hang up, having wasted a load of time and been shouted at by an angry, miserable person.

INSTEAD:

I calmly go online, click the day that I want and see all available times. I chat with the people involved and pick a time, click book and immediately get a confirmatory email. It’s taken a fraction of the time and none of the stress of ringing up.

I then check the menu online before going so I know what I want. I check for any deals and download a discount voucher which gives me two for one on main meals. I arrive at the restaurant, get seated at the table and quickly and easily order on the app, not having to wait for the waitress to come over to order, rather ordering when I want to, and easily making any changes or substitutions that I want to the food. Whenever I want a drink, I just order one on the app and it arrives swiftly, again not having to catch anyone’s eye or wait to be asked. Bliss.

Oh, and unlike EVERY restaurant I’ve ever been to, when the meal ends I don’t just sit waiting for AGES to pay, trying to catch someone’s eye… I just do it quickly and easily online, exactly when I want to. Much, much, much better.
This thread isn't for you.

giphy.gif

In the before times:

*Ring Ring*
*Ring Ring*

No answer.

INSTEAD:

I don't mind booking online though I've actually not been anywhere that makes you order on an app. Doesn't appeal to me, though it is annoying waiting to pay. I like to be offered specials and have dishes explained to me rather than deciding in advance. Ideally the service will be good enough that you dont have trouble catching the server's eye. Anyway I'm going somewhere new in Woodstock tonight so we will see how it pans out!

In the before times:

*Ring Ring*
*Ring Ring*

No answer.

INSTEAD:

I don't mind booking online though I've actually not been anywhere that makes you order on an app. Doesn't appeal to me, though it is annoying waiting to pay. I like to be offered specials and have dishes explained to me rather than deciding in advance. Ideally the service will be good enough that you dont have trouble catching the server's eye. Anyway I'm going somewhere new in Woodstock tonight so we will see how it pans out!

Well the food and service were good but it was another of those modern day nightmares - small plates! Or big tapas. So you have to share and if something is really nice you only get a bite or two of it, and you end up with a weird mix of foods like Italian gnocchi, Korean chicken, and Vietnamese whatevers. Call me old fashioned but I like my own dinner.

Well the food and service were good but it was another of those modern day nightmares - small plates! Or big tapas. So you have to share and if something is really nice you only get a bite or two of it, and you end up with a weird mix of foods like Italian gnocchi, Korean chicken, and Vietnamese whatevers. Call me old fashioned but I like my own dinner.
That's something that winds me up about Wahaca where I sometimes go with a mate before a gig. The food is meant to be several small plates that can be shared, but they come in odd numbers. So three tacos, which makes it awkward if there are two of you, and the size of the taco isn't something you can easily cut in half.

I would reckon that when Abigail O'Leary started her journalism degree she thought she'd be gathering scoops on major international events, investigating corruption in the corridors of Westminster, interviewing world leaders and exposing criminality and malpractice across many industries. She would have been dreaming of being the next Woodward or Bernstein.

I wonder at what point in drafting an article about a man shitting on a self-service checkout counter that that dream died.
I hear she's in line to win the Poolitzer Prize for journalism.

That's something that winds me up about Wahaca where I sometimes go with a mate before a gig. The food is meant to be several small plates that can be shared, but they come in odd numbers. So three tacos, which makes it awkward if there are two of you, and the size of the taco isn't something you can easily cut in half.
My regular Rusholme Indian when I was a student used to serve you 2n-1 free poppadums (eg if there were 3 of you you would get 5 etc). We reckoned it was a scheme to get you to order more to avoid a squabble.

Filled up the sargemobile with diesel last night ...went to pay by card. Fuel stations reader not only declined my debit card - it scrambled it ( i paid in cash in the end) ...went to a hole in the wall cashpoint- it wouldn't read my debit card, neither would another atm- both had the message card declined on screen

Transfered some cash to my basic ( draw out cash) account then set off for skegness early this morning. Went to fill up just our side of boston. Drew out cash to pay with- fuel station only took card payments.... reluctantly offered my debit card. It didnt work on contact- but did work after being put in the card reader with pin

Seems to be working 100% ok now?

In future Ill pay for fuel at headley way/ cherwell drive bp in cash .....their machine scrambled my debit card last night!

Last edited:
We were in Eastbourne a couple of weeks ago, my wife wanted to buy something from the RNLI shop, card rejected , mine rejected, message from bank said transaction declined as it was a overseas transaction!!!

So apparently ( this is what the school teacher said) during ww2 black people were called spooks

So this is absolutely true - in the US, 'spooks' is a derogatory racist term that dates back to WW2. It's why 'Spooks' the TV show was called MI-5 over here, and is the basis of the plot of 'The Human Stain' by Philip Roth about casual racism on US university campuses.

At the same time, I don't think this is anything that anybody in Britain is aware of, so I can't see the harm in a local school using the phrase for their disco!

Had the reverse situation over here when there was a bit of a furore about Lizzo and Beyonce both using the word 'Spaz' in their songs. None of my American friends had any idea what the fuss was about, so I was explaining why it is viewed as derogatory term in Britain......

So this is absolutely true - in the US, 'spooks' is a derogatory racist term that dates back to WW2. It's why 'Spooks' the TV show was called MI-5 over here, and is the basis of the plot of 'The Human Stain' by Philip Roth about casual racism on US university campuses.

At the same time, I don't think this is anything that anybody in Britain is aware of, so I can't see the harm in a local school using the phrase for their disco!

Had the reverse situation over here when there was a bit of a furore about Lizzo and Beyonce both using the word 'Spaz' in their songs. None of my American friends had any idea what the fuss was about, so I was explaining why it is viewed as derogatory term in Britain......
I'd heard about spooks from ww2 but was quite surprised when the teacher was saying she had to change the wording and pictures on the disco poster but as you say not many people over here have heard the thrase spooks in that sense

This isn't on you at all.

@MarkG too, restaurants have always served sharing dishes in prime numbers, it's to make you buy more. Oli's used to provide 5 leaves in their starter wraps, which was tricky between 4 - we asked for more an got 1. It's either worth it or it's not. It's your choice.

What I will not accept at all though, is that you go into restaurant that serves Italian gnocchi, Korean chicken and Vietnamese whatevers at all. What the f**k, you expect something good? It's fusion, the worst of all the worlds.

I say this as a man who has wrestled a Joburg servitor who tried to put fucking mayonnaise on sashimi to the ground.

Back
Top Bottom