New Stadium Plans - The Triangle - Planning

Away fans in a corner is the best place to keep them away from the action.
Also not sure you want to be giving them the best seats in the stadium from a viewing point.
Thinking about it, we could stick them in the southwestern corner. That way the general admission concourse will be unrestricted for home fans to walk all round.

It would be mean for a similar atmosphere to pride park where the home singing section is right next to the away fans, which actually works quite well to drown them out.

Screenshot_20231012-232021__01.jpg

Away fans in a corner is the best place to keep them away from the action.
Also not sure you want to be giving them the best seats in the stadium from a viewing point.
Exactly this. I don't wanna be sharing the new futuristic Beech Rd Upper Terrace stand with away fans. They're likely to get whacked in the chops with a flying pack of trebor extra strong mints!

'Beech Road Aggro, Beech Road Aggro, Hello Hello!' 🫣

I have read all over the place that peope are getting stressed and saying the stadium will be too big, look empty half the time, etc. That will not be the case when we get to the Championship and stabilize for a couple seasons I'd think and then start making a push for something better.If anything, might not be big enough after a few seasons of decent success in the second tier.

The financial aspects of it too have some people worried but I am fine with that part of it too. We have two very good businessmen at the helm. Is their ultimate goal to get a large return on their investment at some point? Perhaps, but that will only happen with something as exciting as this and us keeping on moving up the ladder and I think we are headed there.

Way more positives for U's fans now than their has been in forever. Enjoy the ride.

Thinking about it, we could stick them in the southwestern corner. That way the general admission concourse will be unrestricted for home fans to walk all round.

It would be mean for a similar atmosphere to pride park where the home singing section is right next to the away fans, which actually works quite well to drown them out.

View attachment 16215
Your Pride Park observation is very pertinent, spot on .

I don't think the road would need to be closed for long at all, maybe only 15-20 mins after a match, to allow the majority to walk back to the Parkway.
As others have said, I'd leave it open before the match towards Kidlington, and only allow access to the Parkway, and with a 5mph limit from the North.
Buses would be going to the Parkway anyway dropping off fans utilising Public Transport. :)

Traffic on the London Rd in Headington used to be stopped after a match to allow crowds to disperse.
Only one place i was Heading after matches at the Manor. Straight down Lime Walk to the Butchers Arms.

To me the road closure will annoy Kidlington residents - even if it doesn't in reality affect them.
But biggest problem with it is for those coming in cars from the north, and even more so for those wanting to get away to the north from the park and ride after the match, all at the same time. Instead of traffic being able to go both directions on leaving the car park, all will be pushed south creating far more congestion than would have been the case.

A much better scenario would be a temporary speed restriction to 10mph, from park and ride to the roundabout, with large digital notice board (as they have at bicester village) at either end, along with decent crossing points. So allowing traffic flow both directions.
TBF, fans travelling from the north of the county should really be using the train or bus regardless of whether the road is shut or not.
You’ve got car parks at Bicester and Islip station for the train, plus a large, under used park and ride in Bicester with buses every 15 minutes taking you right to the stadium.

Thirdly, regarding foot traffic between the ground and parkway...

...I wonder whether there is potential to filter people over the current road bridge, by fencing off the normal northbound lane to leave one lane each way.... then put in a spiral ramp and underpass which will come out right next to the station building .

This should enable the road to remain open to traffic at all times, particularly if people can be prevented from trying to cross the road itself by barriers/stewards
I’m not sure I can picture that? Can you do a drawing?

TBF, fans travelling from the north of the county should really be using the train or bus regardless of whether the road is shut or not.
You’ve got car parks at Bicester and Islip station for the train, plus a large, under used park and ride in Bicester with buses every 15 minutes taking you right to the stadium.
The other discussion being had with OCC highways etc. regarding traffic was the absence of a Park & Ride for those approaching Oxford from the North/Bicester direction. This may come to fruition, it may not. However, all the other Park & Rides around the city will be available and will be connected to the Water Eaton site by shuttle bus.
One of our questions was would a shuttle service be run between Water Eaton/Parkway and the stadium as this would be vital for those less ambulant and in times of inclement weather, we could envisage many not wishing to get cold/wet etc. no matter that the distance is only just over half a mile. This hadn't been fully considered but would now be taken forward. I would encourage anyone with similar thoughts to mention this in feedback to the planning team. (Away support coaches may well disembark directly by the away support turnstiles so, why should home support have to walk to the ground?)

the number 2& 2a to Kidlington . goes to park & ride. comes out of there, out onto the Oxford road then it stops off at the slipway that goes to the train station. the next stop is outside Sainsbury's , on the roundabout surly there would be a new bus stop where the proposed concrete
arch will be?????

Wonder if we will get a light show built in. Brentford have one in their new stadium and it seems to be the trend. Unsure how I feel about them, but understand how they add to the spectacle, especially for the day trippers! Note how Brentford us the screens to good affect. We really don't use ours as well as we could.

What do people think of this?

Regarding the opposition to the Stadium, what if we turned the argument on its head.

The non football supporting fans of Blackbird Leys have had to put up with travel disruption and crowds for 20 years now but the only voices I hear about leaving the K****m are those of football supporters saying they will have to travel to watch OUFC.

What I haven’t heard are thousands of residents saying thank god for that we won’t have to put up with all this disruption every two weeks for nine months of the year.Don’t forget they have had cars parking outside their houses and fans cutting through the side roads to get to the ground and that won’t even happen in Kidlington.

My point is the naysayers are making a fuss about nothing, when things calm down after the first ten matches or so, most Kidlington residents will be attuned to it just like BB Leys residents are now.

Wonder if we will get a light show built in. Brentford have one in their new stadium and it seems to be the trend. Unsure how I feel about them, but understand how they add to the spectacle, especially for the day trippers! Note how Brentford us the screens to good affect. We really don't use ours as well as we could.

What do people think of this?

That Brentford one looks awful. Looks like the lights are malfunctioning.
Spurs one looks much better.. although that can't be Spurs - that isn't Chas n Dave playing.

I'd strongly advise naysayers to take a look at Twickenham on a matchday. Roads near the stadium closed, one of the busiest trunk routes in the country navigated as 80,000 fans descend. Houses leading up to the ground open up their front gardens selling pies, german sausages, drinks and memorabilia and the whole thing runs perfectly smoothly. The rail links are further away than Oxford Parkway would be from The Willow Stadium yet everyone manages. If they can make it work in the biggest city in the country around some of the busiest routes....
I know we mustn't be dismissive of genuine concerns regarding Kidlington locals and access routes but surely we are able to think outside the box on this one? I'll be having to travel from north Essex and work out a whole new journey plan compared to what I've always done getting to the Kusstad. I'd love to be able to just rock up in my car with 30 minutes to spare but I will now look at rail journeys into London, or drive to Bicester and train from there etc.
Let's get this right now for us but also future generations.

Saying that, I'm not expecting Kidlington residents to open up their front gardens in order to sell egg sandwiches and luke-warm bottles of orange squash!

Hi everyone,

I've been following this thread since its inception with great excitement and intrigue, and have been so impressed with the determination, passion and bloody mindedness that so many of you have displayed in your desire to keep this incredible project on track and those doubting/objecting it better informed.

When we pull together, us Oxford fans can do incredible things.

Anyway, it's also occurred to me that I should have been more proactive in supporting this movement up to now. To effect, I'm going to make a suggestion:-

I live almost literally a stone's throw from the CDC headquarters in Bodicote. Does anyone think it would be beneficial to utilise my proximity to the decision making entity, to ensure that they are gently 'lobbied', to leave them in no doubt as to the importance their decision has on the club, the supporters, its future prospects, and the larger economic health of the surrounding area?

If so, what sort of action would you deem appropriate? I'm talking overt, but benign gestures. If anything at all is done, it has to be done correctly and in such a way that it highlights the sensible, mature approach that most supporters have adopted to this cause.

Has a precedent been set with previous clubs and their fans? Brighton/Brentford, perhaps?

PS. The Brentford light show is s**t.

The other discussion being had with OCC highways etc. regarding traffic was the absence of a Park & Ride for those approaching Oxford from the North/Bicester direction. This may come to fruition, it may not. However, all the other Park & Rides around the city will be available and will be connected to the Water Eaton site by shuttle bus.
One of our questions was would a shuttle service be run between Water Eaton/Parkway and the stadium as this would be vital for those less ambulant and in times of inclement weather, we could envisage many not wishing to get cold/wet etc. no matter that the distance is only just over half a mile. This hadn't been fully considered but would now be taken forward. I would encourage anyone with similar thoughts to mention this in feedback to the planning team. (Away support coaches may well disembark directly by the away support turnstiles so, why should home support have to walk to the ground?)

There's already a park and ride in Bicester which offers free parking and buses that already go past The Triangle. Plus the train only takes 8-10 minutes from Bicester Village.

The walking distance from Oxford Parkway to is 0.2 miles, a bus for those with mobility issues would be a good idea as the train station is below street level so you have to walk up a ramp or potentially stairs.

Back
Top Bottom