New Stadium Plans - The Triangle - Planning

Exactly this. There is a reason why the plans were delayed, not because it was incompetence by the club but because the professionals employed to get this through planning had to alter certain aspects to give it the best chance the first time round.

The club can't do anything about local politics and neither can us fans. People are rightly pissed off with how the country and local things are being run by the conservatives.

Trust the process first and if it doesn't go our way then we will all stand together and made to be known.
I think we’re going to have to appeal to get planning permission granted.

The Cherwell Planning committee will be made up of a proportional amount of cllrs. However LidDems/Green have already indicated a desire to form a minority administration. David Hingley will lead, Middleton is likely number two

I doubt Labour or Tories will work with them.

On the giving up point someone questioned earlier, it's about effort not about likelyhood. You keep swinging and missing, you feel like giving up throwing punches...
The Liberals to the North of the Cherwell area don’t have the same anti stadium anti progress views as some in the South. Hopefully they will stay strong regarding the stadium.

I understand why people might be feeling a little despondent--lots of you have worked so hard to encourage people to get out and vote (and I suspect you've been quite successful in that aim). So it's a shame that those efforts don't seem to have borne fruit.

However, as several have pointed out, hatred of the Tories was always likely to have played a bigger role in the way people voted than any feelings, one way or the other, about the new stadium.

Second, knowing the general anti-Tory mood and knowing the the Tories have been quite vocal about being in favour of the stadium, it probably didn't make a lot of sense for the LibDems to be anything but either fence-sitters or to make their anti-stadium feelings be known.

Third, and most important, when push comes to shove, we're talking about the construction of many and much-needed houses once we're out of the Kassam, we're talking about the creation of many jobs as the stadium is being built and thereafter, we're talking about bringing a world-class stadium to the county (with others paying for it), and making far more people happy as a result than the relatively few NIMBYs who are going to be mightily pissed off when the go-ahead is given for construction to begin. These fence-sitters will be more than happy to come down in favour of the stadium and start extolling all the benefits that will accrue to the good people of Oxfordshire in general, and to those of Kidlington specifically.

Keep the faith and COYYs tomorrow and Wednesday.

How did Middleton get on?
Some of the reaction is just as OTT as when we have lost the first game of the season.
It was the Lib Dem’s that recommended the triangle in the first place.
If planning gets knocked back then it will go to government and it will be over turned but the council know this and also know they don’t have the money for it to go that far.
It might be delayed but what is worse? To have to delayed or to have no club?

It was never going to be plain sailing.

It's not dead though. Planning applications can not be decided on opinion of councillors. We still have 2 years at the Kassam so even if there is a delay with it needed to go to central government to overturn there is still time to get planning granted before the lease expires. We can then go down the option of either trying to extend our stay at the Kassam or ground share at MK.
That is correct but you can be dam sure Middleton and Ward are going to go all out to delay the project big time.
Yes planning permission could be granted before the lease expires but I won’t travel away to watch us at home and who is to say come the GE Labour are obviously going to win and I t will take at least 12-18 months to get everything in order as best they can as they won’t be bothered about hearing an appeal for Us and give a judgement as early as possible.

This was always going to be difficult to make significant inroads into the political outcome of these local elections.

It's really only on here and from a small (but incredibly determined) few on twitter that anyone has been pushing the political issue. Of those who were aware there would have been some who had no option to vote, and others who didn't vote for one reason or another. Those that did vote were spread across several wards so collectively our voting power was hugely diluted.

On top of that we have thousands of disaffected Tory voters, and others who would have accessed tactical voting sites that directed most to vote Lib Dems to get rid of the Tories. Many of these voters, especially those outside of Kidlington, will know little about the stadium and the planning process.

So it was always going to be an uphill struggle.

However, this is far from a done deal. The planning application took a long time to out together by highly paid experts in their field. The positives for the club AND the community are huge. The impact will stretch across tens of thousands of Oxfordshire residents, not just a handful of noisy nimbys.

Some of the councillors are ignorant and arrogant, but there's only so much influence they can have. And if they don't follow due process or show any bias in turning this down then it could become very costly for the council and individuals.

There is still a battle ahead, and it might have got a little harder, but it's far from done and we will carry on fighting.

That is correct but you can be dam sure Middleton and Ward are going to go all out to delay the project big time.
Yes planning permission could be granted before the lease expires but I won’t travel away to watch us at home and who is to say come the GE Labour are obviously going to win and I t will take at least 12-18 months to get everything in order as best they can as they won’t be bothered about hearing an appeal for Us and give a judgement as early as possible.

They may have learnt their lesson from this.

Let's not forget this is OCC land which will generate more income for them than it currently does.

Just one point, @SwissYellow your work on this hasn't gone unnoticed, either by fans or from senior politicians. I know that you'll feel like this was all for nothing, but don't give up. You have made a much bigger impact that many realise and I am sure I'm not alone in saying thank you.

Last edited:
On Looking at this selfishly and on reflection... Where I live, I've been out chatting to people, talking about the the stadium, posting on Facebook community forums, being a bit of a nag. Every bloody where.

The turnout was over 35% out of 8,000 people, the highest in Cherwell bar Cropredy. 1451 voted against the LibDems. 1169 voted LibDem, 1206 voted Labour or Tory.

Turnout in Bicester and Kidlington wards is less than 25% in most cases.

Next time, if we properly mobilise, we can move the needle.

So yeah, big boy pants on as long as you get your megaphone out next time ;)

On top of that we have thousands of disaffected Tory voters, and others who would have accessed tactical voting sites that directed most to vote Lib Dems to get rid of the Tories. Many of these voters, especially those outside of Kidlington, will know little about the stadium and the planning process.
Well, the club (also OUSP, OxVox & RadOx) at the two previous home games could have done something to change that, but did nothing, or at best did very little.

Maybe, just maybe the LibDem's haven't been paying us lip service all along. We shall see.

Hopefully a strong LibDem's at Cherwell mean they can cut the Greens loose.

Back
Top Bottom