New Stadium Plans - The Triangle - Planning

I was running the Oxford Half Marathon today.
Oxford traffic was gridlocked after the race from city centre up to the Pear Tree park and ride.
Hope everyone was ok in whatever incident had happened.
My car was at the park and ride, I gave up waiting for a bus and walked the three miles back to my car. Ouch!!!!

Plenty of road closures in place around North Oxford today to allow the runners to get around safely.
I did witness a few runners stopping for a toilet break in various peoples gardens, although they didn't look like nasty football hooligans to me!

What was the course like? I've done a few half's, but never ran Oxford for some reason. Although my knees are not what they once were so still might do Oxford!!!

I'm not very good at running, but managed 2hours 38mins today which is a steady 12 minute mile.
About the right time for my little legs.
It was the 3 mile walk back to the car that was the killer!
Great work, and anyone who can bully themselves around 13.1mls is definitely pretty good at running 💪

What was the course like? I've done a few half's, but never ran Oxford for some reason. Although my knees are not what they once were so still might do Oxford!!!
It's a bit claustrophobic to start with as there are over 10,000 runners.
Very flat throughout, no hills to negotiate.
University Parks, back streets around Broad Street, Banbury Road up past Radio Oxford, Marston village and around near Oxford City FC, Woodstock Road to return via back streets and University Parks.
Great atmosphere, lots of street entertainment and thousands of spectators cheering you on.
My knees are also not what they were!

Social media seems to be awash with those worried about getting from Kidlington to the JR due to these road closures. It may be worth pointing out that emergency vehicles will still have access, and routine hospital appointments are very unlikely to be planned for Saturday afternoons or Tuesday evenings.

However, for those who still need to attend, the journey from Central Kidlington to the JR via Oxford Road would take approximately 16 minutes for a journey of a little over 6 miles.

Screenshot_20231015_194914_Chrome.jpg

Completing the same journey via Frieze Way will take 3 minutes more for an extra mile on the journey.

Screenshot_20231015_194854_Chrome.jpg

And the difference in time will be nullified once Oxford Road becomes 30mph with additional traffic calming measures.

As for those saying that it will prevent people travelling in and out of Oxford, we should be asking why they would be making car journeys when we should all be looking towards taking vehicles off the roads and using public transport for such journeys.

And all of this is for relatively short periods of times on around 30 days a year.

As mentioned earlier, large parts of Oxford were shut off for several hours today for the half marathon. St.Giles closes for the fair and Rememberance Parade. And everyone copes just fine!

Bicester Village used to be a nightmare on Bank Holidays or Black Friday. They put more parking in, employed traffic management measures and encouraged many more to travel by public transport and now you'd barely notice, or you adjust accordingly.

Those who make the final decisions on these matters will not uphold concerns about traffic in any way.

Social media seems to be awash with those worried about getting from Kidlington to the JR due to these road closures. It may be worth pointing out that emergency vehicles will still have access, and routine hospital appointments are very unlikely to be planned for Saturday afternoons or Tuesday evenings.

However, for those who still need to attend, the journey from Central Kidlington to the JR via Oxford Road would take approximately 16 minutes for a journey of a little over 6 miles.

View attachment 16273

Completing the same journey via Frieze Way will take 3 minutes more for an extra mile on the journey.

View attachment 16274

And the difference in time will be nullified once Oxford Road becomes 30mph with additional traffic calming measures.

As for those saying that it will prevent people travelling in and out of Oxford, we should be asking why they would be making car journeys when we should all be looking towards taking vehicles off the roads and using public transport for such journeys.

And all of this is for relatively short periods of times on around 30 days a year.

As mentioned earlier, large parts of Oxford were shut off for several hours today for the half marathon. St.Giles closes for the fair and Rememberance Parade. And everyone copes just fine!

Bicester Village used to be a nightmare on Bank Holidays or Black Friday. They put more parking in, employed traffic management measures and encouraged many more to travel by public transport and now you'd barely notice, or you adjust accordingly.

Those who make the final decisions on these matters will not uphold concerns about traffic in any way.

Agree, a very minor inconvenience that avoids the need for expensive, eyesore, crush inducing footbridges.

University Parks, back streets around Broad Street, Banbury Road up past Radio Oxford, Marston village and around near Oxford City FC, Woodstock Road to return via back streets and University Parks.
Great atmosphere, lots of street entertainment and thousands of spectators cheering you on.
I’m really impressed by anyone who can do that. My wife was part of a ‘cheer squad’!

I ran the Reading half once and that finished in their stadium. Hopefully that can happen here too from 2026 onwards.

I ran the Reading half once and that finished in their stadium. Hopefully that can happen here too from 2026 onwards.
The first Oxford Half left from the Kassam, before going round the mini plant, into town and back to The Kassam.

The MK Marathon, which I'll be doing for the 4th time next year, starts at their ground and finishes inside. Biggest crowd I've ever seen in there.

View attachment 16273

View attachment 16274

Kidlington, Islip, Woodeaton , Marston flyover, JR

View attachment 16273

View attachment 16274

I did this for someone on Friday it just happened to be 5pm so right in rush hour the difference was 5 minutes hardly anything

I've also noticed on next door if you push the green stuff like the minimum 10% net gain in biodiversity or the stadium lights focus on the pitch not the sky or the stadium bowl design to stop noise escaping they have no answer to it

I've also noticed on next door if you push the green stuff like the minimum 10% net gain in biodiversity or the stadium lights focus on the pitch not the sky or the stadium bowl design to stop noise escaping they have no answer to it
Of course they won't have an answer for it because they are facts and not lies .

Back
Top Bottom