New Stadium Plans - The Triangle - Planning

I absolutely defended your right to post, and believe that you are a genuine Oxford United fan. But on this issue I believe that you are being obtuse.

You are incredibly naive about the links that some local councillors have and how they cut through party lines. The Lib Dems and Greens have been in bed for sometime in Oxfordshire as part of a "Progressive Alliance". A few years ago the Lib Dems were almost wiped out as a political party on a national level. The only way they could compete was to join with the Greens or Independent councillors to form an alliance that would be taken more seriously than their individual numbers would allow.

As a consequence, deals were done, campaigns were joined and agreements made not to sit in opposing seats. It would be naive to think that these deals were purely "gentlemen's agreements" and there are indications locally that there were also financial arrangements that crossed parties but here is not the right place to expand on this.

We have then seen the collapse in the Conservative vote and, with it not being a traditionally strong region for Labour, the Lib Dems are hoping to capitalise and consequently other members of these alliances are calling in their favours.

Again, this isn't the place to go into too much detail, but I can 100% link Lib Dems and Green members who have actively worked together, and these members are directly linked to FoSB and other protest groups, often with the same key members.

Others are fully aware of these links and have been targeted by them. Liam Walker and Nigel Simpson are two councillors who have not only represented their local communities across numerous issues but have also stood up to the Lib Dem/Green campaign to fight for the future of our football club. It would have been easy to keep away from some of these battles, but they have addressed them head on and have also help build links across all councils. There are many to thank if our planning application is successful, but I would not undervalue the roles these two councillors have done for little personal gain.

I appreciate that not everyone is aware of some of the issues behind the scenes. But there are others who I would hope people will trust when they talk about what is happening, even if not everything is being shared across public forums.
I’m less convinced that this poster is actually a real supporter as each post is made. The real supporters are not just those who go to games, but those who would fight tooth and nail to ensure the stadium is built and the club’s future is secured.

No wish to contradict your opinion of Cllr. Levy, the person but, posting a formal objection to the planning application is hardly displaying a desire to see OUFC achieve a new stadium.
He was already in the perfect situation to persuade OUFC to be more than proactive regarding his constituents concerns. He was, after all, tasked with negotiating the terms of the lease.
Posting an objection simply does not reflect a positive approach. It is the action of one opposed to the stadium build and completely at odds with his statements to council in his official role. The man has displayed an incredible lack of integrity and breached his own words on confidentiality.

Quite, and does anyone really believe the Heads of Terms would have been signed off by now if pressure hadn’t been born to bear?

Every delay damages the stadium bid, in turn damages OUFC and its very existence. Those that deliberately cause these delays know it.

I don't know and don't agree with his objection but that's the spirit of it and I'm sure it is something his constituents have asked him to raise so he'd be a bit negligent not to. If (as I believe is the case) it won't cause any major issue/any issues can be easily mitigated then the objection won't be upheld but the issue will be seen to have been looked into and dismissed/ameliorated.

If you think it won't be an issue then what difference is an objection. An objection that has no legs is not a threat, surely?
On behalf of my constituents is frequently just the cowardly way of trying to deflect blame. Also what about his constituents who are in favour where is he representing them?

You have no idea games are happening at the Kassam if you were to visit Cowley Centre on a matchday and that's much closer than Eynsham and the Clock Tower in Kidlington.

I think its been said on here before but you are right, the area around a football stadium where its has an effect is tiny, that goes for much bigger games than ours as well. That's why I don't get the argument about an Eynsham councillor going against it on a planning portal to protect the interests of his voters, they simply won't be affected by it, can't see he will have had many people talk to him about it yet he took it on his own back to object to it on the planning portal as a councillor in the name of his constituents.

The above poster may know him but his actions don't add up, I will judge him by his actions rather than someone who is friendly with him on yellows forum opinion.

summary of the fosb objections via chatgpt. Nothing new here, just more words than usual from the bingo card

The Friends of Stratfield Brake (FoSB), a community action group opposing Oxford United's proposal to build a football stadium on the Green Belt site of Stratfield Brake Sports Ground in Kidlington, express strong objections to the applicant's transport strategy. FoSB, backed by around 600 supporters, contest the proposal's reliance on road closures, citing concerns over disruptions to the main route between Kidlington and Oxford. They highlight contradictions between Oxfordshire County Council's stance against road closures and the applicant's planning application, which still includes provisions for significant road closures. FoSB also raises concerns about potential traffic congestion, impacts on air quality, and the adverse effects on local amenities and biodiversity.
Furthermore, FoSB questions the feasibility of the applicant's plan to encourage non-car modes of transportation for supporters, citing the current high percentage of car travel among Oxford United fans. They express doubts about the effectiveness of proposed measures to shift travel modes and stress the potential strain on the already fragile local road network. Concerns extend to issues of fan segregation, emergency evacuation procedures, and the absence of clarity regarding parking arrangements, particularly in residential areas near the proposed stadium site. FoSB asserts that the community engagement processes thus far have revealed widespread local opposition to the stadium development in Kidlington.

"Oxfordshire County Council's stance against road closures"

And this is apparently without irony?

I know Dan Levy, have for almost twenty years. Only casually. He is a good person and loves football, I get the sense he does want the stadium but he wouldn't be doing his job as a local councillor for Eynsham if he wasn't making sure it wasn't going to cause mayhem for his parish.

How many of his parish actually spoke to him about the proposed stadium? An objection on a planning portal on a stadium outside of his parish if its just a few seems a bit overkill.

"Oxfordshire County Council's stance against road closures"

And this is apparently without irony?

I don't think anyone from FOSB has ever been to East Oxford, which is their loss as its a far more vibrant and interesting place than the North Oxford/Kidlington borders, so the LTN issues won't matter to them to the point that they don't even see the irony.

How many of his parish actually spoke to him about the proposed stadium? An objection on a planning portal on a stadium outside of his parish if its just a few seems a bit overkill.
Plus, he could direct those with concerns about the proposed stadium to the planning portal so they can highlight their concerns directly and accurately.

A bit like FoSB claiming 600 supporters, it smacks of trying to boost numbers based on a "silent" majority. Who have no need to be silent.

When I gave my feedback I gave it personally, not on behalf of >30000 Oxford United fans....

I had to laugh last night when I came across an objection from my mother inlaw, as it had clearly been done by her husband and he had even wrote about voting Conservative in the comment.....she's a devout Labour supporter.

Obviously I screen grabbed it and shared it on the family wattsapp group, she wasn't amused🤣

Back
Top Bottom