Manager/Coach Next Manager

Who do you want as next manager of our club?

• Neil Critchley

Votes: 33 9.0%
  • Leam Richardson

Votes: 52 14.2%
  • Chris Wilder

Votes: 18 4.9%
  • Michael Appleton

Votes: 160 43.7%
  • AN Other

Votes: 42 11.5%
  • A very well known AN Other

Votes: 15 4.1%
  • Des Buckingham

Votes: 34 9.3%
  • Grant McCann

Votes: 19 5.2%
  • Steve Morrison

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Dean Whitehead

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Steve Cotterill

Votes: 5 1.4%
  • Robbie Fowler

Votes: 2 0.5%
  • Paul Simpson

Votes: 6 1.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I said if it came down to an interview I believed manning would fair best, he’s a modern manager & will use modern technology & my guess is that is the way the club want to go in terms of recruitment & scouting. I’ll be happy with him.

I wanted MApp too.

But I also know that the best chance we have of surviving is for everyone to get behind whomever takes the job and support them to get us over the line.

Meanwhile, we’ve got one person saying they won’t go again and many others who seem determined to continue the negativity caused by KR and the Board, rather than reset and give the new guy their backing.
As long as survival hinges on them, I really hope everybody can get behind the new manager. It’s a ten game season once Derby is out of the way and the new guy is in the dugout. Let’s get that over with before any kicking off ensues.

To be fair if we get relegated it will be ridiculous to have a manager on what we were paying Robinson, no fourth division manager should be earning that.

Whether Manning is the man for what will be a huge job whatever division we are in (sorting this squad out with some of the wages of players who barely play in league two though is a pretty eye watering task however much experience you have) is obviously open to question, he has very little experience to judge him by but might as well give him a fair shake of the stick, no point condemning him before he has started and even for Kip and mellow yellow starting a campaign to get a manager out before he has even started is going some, they normally wait until at least half time of the first game.

The lad is definitely getting stick because of the leaving of Robinson in place for far to long and slow(ish) recruitment to replace him, Manning was unemployed, we had a vacancy, if they wanted him he could of been put straight in, the “process” could come across as a bit of a charade and has led to a lot of hype around a fairly mundane appointment, which has fed into the angst.

Everything around the first team seems a bit of a mess at the moment, can’t help feel that is a direct result of a committee from around the world trying to run the club by zoom.

He didn't fly anywhere as far as I'm aware. He was at the training ground Monday for sure.
I’m vaguely remember reading a post by UTO on Sunday/Monday saying that Tiger had gone home, but could be wrong.

Not at all, they were great times when he was here but I just don’t think he’s the best fit for this club, at the moment. That’s all. I’m siding with the pragmatists and realists on here rather than the incurable romantics.
What a ridiculous thing to say, there's no romanticism involved, just like there's nothing pragmatic or realistic about your opinion.

Manning, McCann or whoever it ends up being, could go on to have much success with us, but if they don't hit the ground running, they're not gonna get as much patience as someone like Appleton, who I believe would keep us up, and due to his previous time here, would have credit in the bank, and would be given time to rebuild, even if the unthinkable happened this season, and we went down.

That opinion is not down to romanticism, just simple respect and appreciation of how good he was first time round, as a reason for believing he would be just as successful again this time.

During his first time here, Appleton was a reliable, no nonsense and ultra professional manager, with excellent contacts within the game, attracting some of the best young up and coming talent in the country, these kids and their agents were actively seeking Oxford United out to come and play for him, as he was transforming their careers, taking them from fringe players, and b team players, to first team regulars, who have now gone on to have careers playing in the Championship, Premiership, and even Europe in some cases.

He turned us into a serious club, with genuine, serious ambition, but he left because the funding was no longer available, which was gutting, but he left us in fantastic shape, on the pitch, but all that hard work has been undone and ripped to shreds in recent seasons, and needs fixing.

The funding that wasn't there before is available now, even more so in fact, and these are the reasons why many of us would've liked to see him return, as with the resources he'd now have available to him, he could achieve great things here.

It may well be that the Board want a long term investment and project manager. That's Manning.

Absolutely this.

I was concerned when we appointed McCann yesterday (ha!) for this reason (he wouldn't be).

I think Manning could be our Nathan Jones or Graham Potter - but I do want to see a fully functioning management structure put in place around him asap.

I thought recruitment in the summer was down to Liam Sweeting (sporting director).

I'm not sure Manning had much say in who got sold and who came in but could be wrong on that.
He can bring Eisa across after they go down. Only one of the current MK squad I'd have

As I've said on here before, I have a lot of time for Leon B-S.
I was very impressed with how he coached the U-18s and brought on players like Owen James and Ben Watt.
So I would be quite happy with a media-savvy 'manager' such as Keown or Defoe, with LBS as first team coach.

I suspect that I am in a minority here.

I was very impressed with how he coached the U-18s and brought on players like Owen James and Ben Watt.
So I would be quite happy with a media-savvy 'manager' such as Keown or Defoe, with LBS as first team coach.

That sounds good to me, and - in the best way - not even all that innovative.

To be fair if we get relegated it will be ridiculous to have a manager on what we were paying Robinson, no fourth division manager should be earning that.

Whether Manning is the man for what will be a huge job whatever division we are in (sorting this squad out with some of the wages of players who barely play in league two though is a pretty eye watering task however much experience you have) is obviously open to question, he has very little experience to judge him by but might as well give him a fair shake of the stick, no point condemning him before he has started and even for Kip and mellow yellow starting a campaign to get a manager out before he has even started is going some, they normally wait until at least half time of the first game.

The lad is definitely getting stick because of the leaving of Robinson in place for far to long and slow(ish) recruitment to replace him, Manning was unemployed, we had a vacancy, if they wanted him he could of been put straight in, the “process” could come across as a bit of a charade and has led to a lot of hype around a fairly mundane appointment, which has fed into the angst.

Everything around the first team seems a bit of a mess at the moment, can’t help feel that is a direct result of a committee from around the world trying to run the club by zoom.
Just to be clear, if Manning is appointed I will be 1 billion percent behind him and wish him every success and support him.

I am of course entitled to offer an opinion on whether I believe him to be the right candidate in advance.

If that was the case, Appleton wouldn’t stand a chance, Robinson has always had a bit of a chip on his shoulder where Mapp is concerned. Robinson is very insecure individual.
Based on what? Just blind digs at KR it seems. KR made a real point of mentioning the good work that MA did prior to playing Lincoln for the first time. He was very respectful as he always has been about our history.

Who's writing off a head coach, simply saying the right candidate is important not the cheapest.

Robinson was on very good money whilst here. Did that make him better than other cheaper options?

How about Josh Murphy? Are we happy that we didn't get one of those other cheap wingers that are knocking around the league.

Grant McCann, Michael Appleton, Neil Critchley, Nathan Jones. All recently left higher paid jobs with a decent severance package. So it's entirely possible that they could have accepted a lower salary that Manning would have wanted. Or Manning might be offered a lower basic pay but a very nice promotion bonus.

No one knows yet who the manager is yet, let alone how much they are getting paid.

So going on about the cheapest option is ridiculous and writing someone off before they've even had a photo taken holding a scarf up in the centre circle!

People not realising that it wouldn't matter if we got Klopp he can't turn the crap we have on the pitch around into a winning team. The board have let us down massively with expecting us to sell our best players every season and not thinking it would alter the team. Sustainability starts with being brave enough to hold on to your best players to be ambitious and attempt to get promotion apart from Brannagan you couldn't give the rest away we have sold them all LEDSON BALDOCK ROOFE LUNDSTRUM DICKIE McNALLY ETC. It's self inflicted destruction by a board who thought they could get promotion whilst selling the family silver

It. Is. Liam. Manning.

Yes, you’ll be in the minority with that view. LBS, Short, Brown all need to follow KR out. As for Keown or Defoe, god no.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom