General Next Season

He’s not good enough for a club of our ambition. Only being suggested because of where he’s from.
I'm sure that's not the case , he does seem a promising keeper with good efl experience who plays out extremely well. Might well prove a find but we shouldn't write off just because under our nose.
Well rated and a N.Ireland int so worth running the rule over .

I'm sure that's not the case , he does seem a promising keeper with good efl experience who plays out extremely well. Might well prove a find but we shouldn't write off just because under our nose.
Well rated and a N.Ireland int so worth running the rule over .

At our place he was playing so high up the pitch at times. He did alright that night and is pretty decent on the ball but I sensed a bit of cockiness about him - not a bad thing for a keeper but I felt he was playing with that swagger that says ‘look at me’ and I think he might be one who thinks he’s a sweeper and forgets his day job of keeping the ball out of the net. I’d prefer a less flamboyant and a more solid, rounded, keeper whose best asset is a commanding presence and protection of his goal.

At our place he was playing so high up the pitch at times. He did alright that night and is pretty decent on the ball but I sensed a bit of cockiness about him - not a bad thing for a keeper but I felt he was playing with that swagger that says ‘look at me’ and I think he might be one who thinks he’s a sweeper and forgets his day job of keeping the ball out of the net. I’d prefer a less flamboyant and a more solid, rounded, keeper whose best asset is a commanding presence and protection of his goal.
I'll happily take a Emil Martinez type character as our keeper as long as he has beeb identified as the one.
Really need a ball playing keeper these days especially with the style we play.
The days of just being a solid keeper are past tbh

The Cheltenham forum is extremely complimentary about Luke Southwood and how good a player he has been for them.

Same with MK and Cumming. Goalkeepers in bad teams often look good. I don’t know enough about Southwood but I’m wary.
Don't think you can tar every player who ever played for a relegated side as only looking good in a poor side tbh and I'm sure that the Club will decide for the right reasons

I think Beadle has raised the bar too high and people should perhaps lower their expectations a bit. If we do go up, I would definitely try to get him on loan again, but I would have no issue with Cumming on a permanent if we didn't get promotion. Southwood is definitely worth a look as well, no harm in getting him in on trial during pre-season.

Perhaps an aging Eastwood will want to move on as well, which would suit both parties I think, unless he's really influential behind the scenes.

We've got alot of decisions to make in the summer ,but the goalie is Massive .The spine of the team ,goalie ,center half and center forward. We have 3 in place.

No matter what league we’re in next season there’s some key areas that need addressing as a minimum:

1st Choice Goalkeeper (+ wouldn’t mind moving on Eastwood now I thought he looked well off it when he came in for Beadle in January & during a period where Cummings was injured)

A couple of Right Backs (with Long as CB backup)
We’ve seen the benefits of how good it’s been to have competition at Left Back with Leigh & Bennett need to do the same on the Right

Midfielders will be key to this summer we never got to see Matete really as our much needed DCM & McGuane will be cashed in (+ a horrible rumour Portsmouth will come in for Brannagan)

Wingers hopefully Murphy stays but still need a couple in for competition as I don’t see Owen Dale place on the right wing a given from what I’ve seen in the last 2/3 games (plus let Browne go)

Least 1 more striker in the building how we’ve managed to rely on Harris as our only option is massive credit to him specially with them 4 months without a goal, Goodwin was known for being injury prone by Cheltenham fans & that’s proven to be the case + O’Donkor will need a season loan.

Looks like it will be another dozen players turnaround again

I think Beadle has raised the bar too high and people should perhaps lower their expectations a bit. If we do go up, I would definitely try to get him on loan again, but I would have no issue with Cumming on a permanent if we didn't get promotion. Southwood is definitely worth a look as well, no harm in getting him in on trial during pre-season.

Perhaps an aging Eastwood will want to move on as well, which would suit both parties I think, unless he's really influential behind the scenes.
Disagree entirely with this. Even if we don't go up, we have finished in the play-offs and have demonstrated we play the game in a particular way. We should be setting our expectations as high as possible and aiming to sign either the best prospect from our league (not sure that's Southwood, but anyway) or a promising loan from the very best PL clubs.

And I wouldn't sign Cumming regardless of what league we're in.

Like the team, I think Cumming has come on quite a bit since Bolton. His whole game has calmed down and there’s a bit more solidity about him as well as his distribution and decision making. I still think we can do better though but, depending on how he performs in these high pressure play off games, he might be among the better ones attainable - certainly if we remain in L1. We enter a whole new mindset if it’s the championship though.

I am not sure that I agree with that.
Beadle was not the best keeper in the Division in the first half of the season.
If we don't go up and want to compete for a Top 2 place, we need a Top L1 keeper.
I am not sure that Cummings is at that level?

Back
Top Bottom