Ex Player Obscure OUFC XI

Wandering Yellow

Enjoyed reading some threads on here and some light-relief from the rubbish we are watching on the pitch at the moment, it has struck me we have had some seriously obscure footballers contracted to the club over the last 10 or so years.

Goalkeeper: Shwan Jalal best I can think of
Right Back: Yoav Sade I still don't fully understand what this was about, Israeli Right Back
Centre Back Sam Allardyce Signed by KR as a favour to Sam Allardyce
Centre Back Kashif Siddiqi 19/20 centre back, something charity related, memory fails me
Left Back: Ashley Smith-Brown now retired I think, a left back from Man City

Centre Midfield: Tsun Dai Can't remember him playing for us but we sold him for a fee to Wolves
Centre Midfield Ben Davis Think I saw him play briefly once, Thai midfielder

Winger Oussama Zamouri Dutch winger, don't remember seeing him play
Winger: Zeli Ismael remember the name, can't remember where we got him from

Striker Jonte Smith A strange one, played once according to Wiki, signed from Lewes
Striker John Campbell, that guy from the North East?

Bench: Teddy Mfuni, Xemi, Holmes-Dennis, Ripley, Franks, Mark Wilson

Can anyone remember anything about these players or add any new OUFC obscure XI entries.

Last edited:
Enjoyed reading some threads on here and some light-relief from the rubbish we are watching on the pitch at the moment, it has struck me we have had some seriously obscure footballers contracted to the club over the last 10 or so years.

Goalkeeper: Shwan Jalal best I can think of
Right Back: Yoav Sade I still don't fully understand what this was about, Israeli Right Back
Centre Back Sam Allardyce Signed by KR as a favour to Sam Allardyce
Centre Back Kashif Siddiqi 19/20 centre back, something charity related, memory fails me
Left Back: Ashley Smith-Brown now retired I think, a left back from Man City

Centre Midfield: Tsun Dai Can't remember him playing for us but we sold him for a fee to Wolves
Centre Midfield Ben Davis Think I saw him play briefly once, Thai midfielder

Winger Oussama Zamouri Dutch winger, don't remember seeing him play
Winger: Zeli Ismael remember the name, can't remember where we got him from

Striker Jonte Smith A strange one, played once according to Wiki, signed from Lewes
Striker John Grant, Aldershot loanee

Bench: Teddy Mfuni, Xemi, Holmes-Dennis, Ripley, Franks, Mark Wilson

Can anyone remember anything about this players or add any new OUFC obscure XI entries.
Christian Ribeiro. Played about 10 times for us then had to retire due to injury. Think he now runs a property management company!

I’d like to see John Campbell up front. Still the most confusing signing during my 30 odd years watching the club.

Ben Davis - defaulted on his national service with Singapore, and has moved to Thailand, never to return to Singapore, presumably because he would get locked up.
Tsun Dai - controversially plays for the China national team rather than Hong Kong where he was born. Caused great amusement to HK fans when China lost to South Korea in the 2023 Asian Cup.
Mark Wilson - involved in an inside betting scandal on the horse racing and banned from the sport for ten years.

Kash Saddiqui - joined Real Kashmir and don't I think ever played for us.

Also Jacob Fowler joining the academy and Robbie Fowler being around.

I’d like to see John Campbell up front. Still the most confusing signing during my 30 odd years watching the club.

His one and only goal. It’s a hell of a left rib effort.

As for obscure players:

Cameron Gayle - Signed as cover in 2015-16 for a couple of cup games and never seen again.

Ryan Doble - Floppy haired surfer dude lookalike. I mean you could make an extire oddball XI out of Wilder’s waifs and strays from 2010-11 alone (Mitchell Hanson, Djoumin Sangare, Danny Philliskirk) but Ryan Doble stands out as particularly obscure.

Derrick Osei-Yaw - Giraffe-necked Frenchman developing an unusual career in football. Has he got a club anywhere?

Sonny Perkins - Just unwanted by anyone here.

Great thread! Couple more to add from recent seasons:

Dylan Asonganyi - striker signed from MK Dons, never played for the first team, now playing for Cranfield United in the Spartan South Midlands League Div 1.
Jonny Giles - left wing, not sure if he actually played for us or not? Now with Slough Town in the National League South
Derick Osei Yaw - French striker signed by KR. Currently a free agent, was playing for Dundee last season

Mike Williamson

Signed him on a free from Wolves, played about 15 games for us, played for Gateshead for a few years, now manager of MK Dons!

Tony Malessa - GK - short term contract in the 00's and never played

Amine Karam - french chap who was one of the random Diaz signings

Doudou - and he was

Giorgio Rasulo - one appearance loan signing

Michael Husbands - 2 appearances in the 08/09 season, including the Barrow 3-0 defeat

Rob Davies - played in the Barrow game mentioned above and then never played again

Neville Roach - loanee striker

Liam Horstead - one of Jim Smith's cavalry that didn't work out at the back end of the 05/06 season

Daniel Boateng - still remember him being brought on as a late sub away at Leeds in the cup. The club hadn't announced his signing and no-one had any idea who he was.

Laurence Gaughan - utterly random defensive cover, who came from Sheffield FC

Mitchell Hanson - another random defender signing, think he played in a couple of end of season games circa 2011

Mat Fletcher - young aussie striker, didn't get a look in and ended up at Sheff Weds and Hull before going back to Australia.

Last edited:
Ryan James, signed from the Nike academy (?)
Leigh Franks
Jeremy Balmy
Shane Killock
Ben Hinchcliffe
Joel Ledgister

Couple of errors at Barrow in the 3-0 and written off by a lot of our fan base.
Recently made his 307th appearance for Stockport, becoming their highest appearance making goalkeeper in history. Been with them since their Conference North days.

Franks and Killock looked good young loans on paper, neither went on to do very much in their careers.
Killock now at Ossett United.

Ledgister was one of the most frustrating wingers I've ever seen us have. He'd murder his full-back and then stick a cross into Row Z and then immediately lose all confidence and go missing.

Balmy and James were odd triallist type signings.

Back
Top Bottom