National News P&O ferries

All part of the race to the bottom. This government would like employment laws to be weakened so that stuff like this is commonplace - permanent employees replaced with agency staff who have little security and few rights. The 'gig economy' is good for some businesses and bad for the poor buggers on part time and flexible contracts who are trying to support a family. So they'll be forced take any work going at the lowest cost to the employer.

All part of the race to the bottom. This government would like employment laws to be weakened so that stuff like this is commonplace - permanent employees replaced with agency staff who have little security and few rights. The 'gig economy' is good for some businesses and bad for the poor buggers on part time and flexible contracts who are trying to support a family. So they'll be forced take any work going at the lowest cost to the employer.
You sound like a whinging Remoaner @ZeroTheHero

None of those are the case here though, are they - the work will still exist, but will apparently be done by contract or agency staff. I believe it used to be unlawful to make people redundant in those circumstances but is now allowed.

I thought it was now legal (although immoral) to "fire & re-hire" on worse Ts & Cs? In this case they have fired and re-hired other people.

Reputational damage to P&O will be immense, probably get a re-brand when the dust settles and carry on.

Put them in the same bucket as Sports Direct, Ryanair and the ilk.

I thought it was now legal (although immoral) to "fire & re-hire" on worse Ts & Cs? In this case they have fired and re-hired other people.

Reputational damage to P&O will be immense, probably get a re-brand when the dust settles and carry on.

Put them in the same bucket as Sports Direct, Ryanair and the ilk.
Yep - all competing in the race to the bottom.

Wasn't it BT or Centrica who did something similar not so long ago in terms of contracts - albeit re-hiring the same workers?

And all aided and abetted by our Governement's desire to have light touch employment law......and pretty much light touch regulation of everything in order to "unleash the true potential of UK innovation and business and make us prosperous and competitive on the global stage"

All well and good you might think, until you realise that all that supposed wealth is simply being spirited out of the country through shady shell companies and dodgy offshore entities....all perfectly legal, I hear you cry!

Real forward thinking (if you're stinking rich and want to get richer, that is)

It stinks!

Yep - all competing in the race to the bottom.

Wasn't it BT or Centrica who did something similar not so long ago in terms of contracts - albeit re-hiring the same workers?

And all aided and abetted by our Governement's desire to have light touch employment law......and pretty much light touch regulation of everything in order to "unleash the true potential of UK innovation and business and make us prosperous and competitive on the global stage"

All well and good you might think, until you realise that all that supposed wealth is simply being spirited out of the country through shady shell companies and dodgy offshore entities....all perfectly legal, I hear you cry!

Real forward thinking (if you're stinking rich and want to get richer, that is)

It stinks!

Centrica tried to rehire the same people - think that is the difference in this case.

Didn`t the Labour Party also do similar?? ;)

P&O ferries took serious money off our gov/ taxpayers in the form of furlough payments during the pandemic

I read somewhere earlier (cant find it now!) That P&O ferries shareholders have shared something like £280m in recent years, apparently? ...... wish i could find the link as I may be mis remembering on this point

P&O ferries havent dismissed their french (and other EU countries) based crews - they are covered by EU employment rights- ONLY 800 British (English!) crew members have been subjected to disgraceful industrial relations by the UAE owned P&O ferries management

Im admittedly being overly cynical in wondering if our glorious pm has had a hand in this while visiting Saudi and UAE?
So Jacob - how many happy fish do we need to have to make this better?

P&O ferries owners in 'havent acted illegally' revelation

Company is registered in Jersey apparently, so mainland English/Welsh laws etc on redundancy etc don't apply

Centrica tried to rehire the same people - think that is the difference in this case.

Didn`t the Labour Party also do similar?? ;)
Yep...and very shoddy practice it is. Shame on Labour for ever thinking it was OK. Tories just use unpaid interns living off Daddy's hedge fund....don't they🤣

Shame we have such lax employment laws that made it perfectly legal....we could learn a thing or two from those Europeans, you know;)

P&O ferries havent dismissed their french (and other EU countries) based crews - they are covered by EU employment rights- ONLY 800 British (English!) crew members have been subjected to disgraceful industrial relations by the UAE owned P&O ferries management
Assuming this is true and knowing the government told us that on day one all EU laws were being cut and pasted into UK law does this mean the government has actively enacted new laws to allow this to happen?

Assuming this is true and knowing the government told us that on day one all EU laws were being cut and pasted into UK law does this mean the government has actively enacted new laws to allow this to happen?
P&O ferries company offices are based in Jersey ( CI) , which are not subject to English and Welsh employment/ redundancy laws - apparently

It'd probably make sense to get in some sort of alliance with them where we all just use the same agreed standards.
Imagine the efficiencies! Imagine the cutting of red tape! Imagine the filling of all those vacancies in hospitality and farming! You know you might be onto something great!

It'd probably make sense to get in some sort of alliance with them where we all just use the same agreed standards.

Careful now....

Imagine the efficiencies! Imagine the cutting of red tape! Imagine the filling of all those vacancies in hospitality and farming! You know you might be onto something great!

Not that simple it seems, is it ever?
If the employees fall under the definition of seafarers, then they would be governed by the Maritime Labour Convention instead of UK employment law.
The MLC is governed by the International Labour Organisation - a UN body.
So P&O decided to bite the bullet, sack them illegally and pay the bill.

Utter barstewards.

From what I’ve read the workers were covered by UK law rather than Jersey (ok I looked at a page on the BBC). Fire and rehire has been legal for a while so it doesn’t look like this can be a chance for Brexit bashing. But P&O don’t seem to have followed the correct procedure so hopefully they’ll be clobbered

Went on this thread thinking, "surely they can't make this one about Brexit" but, YF never lets you down.

Disgraceful move, no surprise they are owned in the middle-east.

Back
Top Bottom