National News Rishi Sunak

So what do we think?

KS has previously called Conservatives the party of high taxes, stifling economic growth.

He now says we will not see any tax cuts until the economy grows. Investment aside, this now seems contradictory.

Wasn’t it a case of saying lower taxes are required for the majority of lower to middle earners to stimulate economic growth in the longer term? Wtf do I know.

If he is not going to put more money in peoples pockets to make them feel better off, what is he expecting to happen?

I have no issue either way and from a personal perspective I am not particularly bothered. I would far rather have an honest assessment of what to expect, with honest policies, rather than all all the pre-election BS.

Will we see more scaling back and more realistic policies from Labour now that they can smell the polish on the door of no. 10? Or will we be bombarded with unrealistic promises and optimism to “get the vote”

As it stands I have no intention of voting, but open to being persuaded. In the meantime I’ll sit at the fence end.

May election here we come 😜.

He has a feŵ options. I would be surprised if it is before June. Having an election in November or December is unlikely because of the weather. my personal expectation would be Thursday October 10, which coincidentally was the date of the 1974 election. The day I voted Labour

I know someone working in government and the suggestion that they are making is that everything is being put on hold. This means that the GE is going to be announced shortly. Their working hypothesis is that it’s May.

Can’t trust a word Slippery Sunak says

The amount of people that are disillusioned with the whole "Westminster" thing, and aren`t going to vote, on both sides of the fence will decide the election.

They won`t vote Tory because of the "chaos".

They won`t vote Labour "just because they aren`t Tories".

Don't worry, if it's tax cuts you're after, I'm sure Jezza the Hunt is preparing.some pre election bribes for 6th March😉

Show me a political party that hasn`t tried to bribe a section of the electorate before a GE.

He has a feŵ options. I would be surprised if it is before June. Having an election in November or December is unlikely because of the weather. my personal expectation would be Thursday October 10, which coincidentally was the date of the 1974 election. The day I voted Labour
Did you regret it Peter?

The amount of people that are disillusioned with the whole "Westminster" thing, and aren`t going to vote, on both sides of the fence will decide the election.

They won`t vote Tory because of the "chaos".

They won`t vote Labour "just because they aren`t Tories".

Show me a political party that hasn`t tried to bribe a section of the electorate before a GE.
The difference is whether you're able/willing to see it for what it is and whether it actually changes the way you vote.

Anyone that thinks...."Jezza has just reduced the amount of tax I pay by a couple of pence, I must now vote Tory" surely needs to give their head a big wobble. You'd either have to be incredibly gullible or selfish (or both) to fall for that!

Anyway....you've changed your tune. It wasn't that long ago you were saying that the silent Tory majority were going to turn out en masse and decide the next election in favour of the current moribund/corrupt/incompetent government. And it wasn't long before that when Bojo was at the helm that you were saying you'd doubt there would be another Labour government in your lifetime 🤣🤣🤣🤣

The difference is whether you're able/willing to see it for what it is and whether it actually changes the way you vote.

Anyone that thinks...."Jezza has just reduced the amount of tax I pay by a couple of pence, I must now vote Tory" surely needs to give their head a big wobble. You'd either have to be incredibly gullible or selfish (or both) to fall for that!

Anyway....you've changed your tune. It wasn't that long ago you were saying that the silent Tory majority were going to turn out en masse and decide the next election in favour of the current moribund/corrupt/incompetent government. And it wasn't long before that when Bojo was at the helm that you were saying you'd doubt there would be another Labour government in your lifetime 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Isn`t hindsight a wonderful thing?

I`ll assume your view of anything has never changed?

My post suggested that the number of non-voters would have a greater impact than those who do vote.

Ergo Labour may have a large % poll lead but, as we know, Tory voters are more inclined to turn out and the complacency/disengagement with politics as a whole could mean you don`t get what you wish for...... the Grey Man in Number 10.

Isn`t hindsight a wonderful thing?

I`ll assume your view of anything has never changed?

My post suggested that the number of non-voters would have a greater impact than those who do vote.

Ergo Labour may have a large % poll lead but, as we know, Tory voters are more inclined to turn out and the complacency/disengagement with politics as a whole could mean you don`t get what you wish for...... the Grey Man in Number 10.
Or you could just say - "yes...I was wrong". But something tells me those are words you find very difficult to say ;) :ROFLMAO:

Did you regret it Peter?
I didn’t as I voted for what I wanted. Not sure who I’ll vote for if it is 50 years to the day as I expect. I think the Tories will do better than most expect. Mind you Reform U.K. might well get 10% plus. I’d expect the Liberals to take votes from both major parties

Got to keep an open mind and read the manifestos when they are published. If you've already decided who you're voting for, you're the problem.

I didn’t as I voted for what I wanted. Not sure who I’ll vote for if it is 50 years to the day as I expect. I think the Tories will do better than most expect. Mind you Reform U.K. might well get 10% plus. I’d expect the Liberals to take votes from both major parties
You may be right, but just on the Tories doing better than many expect . . . does that actually add up if they are being squeezed by the Libs and the Reform (a wasted protest vote on a one trick pony that will never deliver anything imho) who have already said they won't do a deal as they did in 2019?

Where exactly will the votes come from? I think plenty are prepared to vote tactically, just to get the Tories out in their constituencies. It happened in the numerous by-elections over recent times (yes, different to a GE) and I think there are still a sizeable number who are genuinely angry and disillusioned after 14 years that this will carry through into the GE.

I was reading a piece in the Telegraph (yes, actually!) over xmas which was suggesting the ways in which the Tories might turn their fortunes around and win the next election(I did try really hard to keep a straight face). They cited the example of Labours performance at the 2017 election where they went from 25% in opinion polls pre-election, to hitting 40% on election day, saying it was their pre-election campaigning that made the difference and the Tories would do well to note this ahead of the next election. I really think they've missed the point entirely here. In that campaign, Labour offered an alternative to what we already had. If anything, Tories turning up on your doorstep in an attempt to convince you they are the future, after the recent 14 years is beyond a joke! Everyone knows it would be more of the same...and people are bored/tired of it.

So, whilst the Tories might not go below 100 MPs as some are suggesting. they may struggle to make 150.....

I know someone working in government and the suggestion that they are making is that everything is being put on hold. This means that the GE is going to be announced shortly. Their working hypothesis is that it’s May.

So business as normal with this Govt then.

You may be right, but just on the Tories doing better than many expect . . . does that actually add up if they are being squeezed by the Libs and the Reform (a wasted protest vote on a one trick pony that will never deliver anything imho) who have already said they won't do a deal as they did in 2019?

Where exactly will the votes come from? I think plenty are prepared to vote tactically, just to get the Tories out in their constituencies. It happened in the numerous by-elections over recent times (yes, different to a GE) and I think there are still a sizeable number who are genuinely angry and disillusioned after 14 years that this will carry through into the GE.

I was reading a piece in the Telegraph (yes, actually!) over xmas which was suggesting the ways in which the Tories might turn their fortunes around and win the next election(I did try really hard to keep a straight face). They cited the example of Labours performance at the 2017 election where they went from 25% in opinion polls pre-election, to hitting 40% on election day, saying it was their pre-election campaigning that made the difference and the Tories would do well to note this ahead of the next election. I really think they've missed the point entirely here. In that campaign, Labour offered an alternative to what we already had. If anything, Tories turning up on your doorstep in an attempt to convince you they are the future, after the recent 14 years is beyond a joke! Everyone knows it would be more of the same...and people are bored/tired of it.

So, whilst the Tories might not go below 100 MPs as some are suggesting. they may struggle to make 150.....
I agree with this. Tories will not go below 100 - nowhere near in fact. I reckon they will be more in the region of 150 - 180. Scotland is really important and Labour need to wipe out the SNP here (which looks increasingly likely). Tories are likely to be victims of their own rhetoric with Reform taking votes off them on immigration and Lib Dems will do well in the South West. The question is whether Lab will get a majority or will be a minority gov (I cant see a coalition happening). It may well be a minority government. I would personally like to see Labour be a bit braver in its policy positions but I suppose bravery hasnt won many elections.

Sunak said his 'working assumption' was for an autumn election. You only have 'working assumptions' about things you have no control over or insight of. Can he not be honest/straight about anything?

Sunak said his 'working assumption' was for an autumn election. You only have 'working assumptions' about things you have no control over or insight of. Can he not be honest/straight about anything?

Indeed. Working Assumption is just more uncertainty and non-commitment.

How refreshing it would be to get a simple yes/no answer from a politician.

Back
Top Bottom