Ex Player Rob Dickie

20200829_161139.jpg

Anyone thinking that Dickie will go for a million is frankly insane!!!

They hear things directly from Oxford United. One of the Radio Oxford team technically works for the club as the stadium announcer. I know how close they get.

It’s merely interesting that they’ve gone out of their way to mention that the figures punted around on here might be a little hopeful rather than realistic. So let’s wait and see, but it’s telling that their message is one of “settle down for now”.

Odd, that's never happened on here before...

They hear things directly from Oxford United. One of the Radio Oxford team technically works for the club as the stadium announcer. I know how close they get.

It’s merely interesting that they’ve gone out of their way to mention that the figures punted around on here might be a little hopeful rather than realistic. So let’s wait and see, but it’s telling that their message is one of “settle down for now”.

It doesn't really tally with Oxford's previous comments about Rob Dickie though.

It doesn't really tally with Oxford's previous comments about Rob Dickie though.
I think we might have been talking things up a bit to try to get clubs biting / bidding. We’ll find out soon enough how many clubs came in and what it meant for the fee.

I live in hope that the fee is good and maybe another club comes in to push it up a touch. What I do like is that the player is conducting himself properly and has done all pre-season. Rob Dickie certainly comes across well as a pro.

Oxford fans on Oxford forum: "We should be asking for 4-5 million AT LEAST, or no deal."

QPR fans on QPR forum: "12 months left on his contract? They'll accept 700k and be HAPPY ABOUT IT, or no deal."

Reality: We'll get 2-3 million from someone, and both sides will be relatively okay with it.

I’m sorry a move to QPR would be backward move
Why on earth would a move a side that been in danger of going down for the last 5 seasons appeal to a young man who could be playing for a side with the players to get up . With that said he would get a nice pay increase but I don’t think QPR will be paying the kind money he could be getting in 12 months time . Rob think long and hard sign a new 2 year deal with Oxford and then go in 12 months time where you will get big money (far more than QPR are offering ) I think you are better than QPR )
Don’t fall into the trap of so many players that have left us in the past ten years and then have progressed like they should have .

He won’t go to the R’s. There will be a bidding war soon (hopefully) and bigger fish than those West London wan@ers will be at the table. QP ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ........ 3.0.

I’m sorry a move to QPR would be backward move
Why on earth would a move a side that been in danger of going down for the last 5 seasons appeal to a young man who could be playing for a side with the players to get up . With that said he would get a nice pay increase but I don’t think QPR will be paying the kind money he could be getting in 12 months time . Rob think long and hard sign a new 2 year deal with Oxford and then go in 12 months time where you will get big money (far more than QPR are offering ) I think you are better than QPR )
Don’t fall into the trap of so many players that have left us in the past ten years and then have progressed like they should have .

Joining QPR, a Championship club who were recently in the Premier League and have just sold a player for £17m isn't a 'backward move'. If he signs for them, he'll be playing in the league above, and even if he does outgrow QPR then he'll just get another move, he doesn't have to stay with us to do that.

Dickie will leave. He did sign a two year deal, but that was a year ago. The part of his development where he signs on with the aim of moving on next season has already been and gone. Bringing in young players to develop them and sell them on for profit is part of our model and has been for pretty much the last five years. How can some fans be so unwilling to see Dickie leave when we've seen Roofe, Lundstram, Johnson, Rothwell, Ledson, Fosu and Baptiste all leave for a profit in recent seasons?

Joining QPR, a Championship club who were recently in the Premier League and have just sold a player for £17m isn't a 'backward move'. If he signs for them, he'll be playing in the league above, and even if he does outgrow QPR then he'll just get another move, he doesn't have to stay with us to do that.

Dickie will leave. He did sign a two year deal, but that was a year ago. The part of his development where he signs on with the aim of moving on next season has already been and gone. Bringing in young players to develop them and sell them on for profit is part of our model and has been for pretty much the last five years. How can some fans be so unwilling to see Dickie leave when we've seen Roofe, Lundstram, Johnson, Rothwell, Ledson, Fosu and Baptiste all leave for a profit in recent seasons?
Agreed. In my view a significant minority of our fans have always been a bit deluded about where we sit in the pyramid that is football. Before the playoff final I saw one article where a fan was saying we are as big as a Derby or Swansea. Yeah right! QPR is not a backwards step!

• React
Reactions: Ian
Agreed. In my view a significant minority of our fans have always been a bit deluded about where we sit in the pyramid that is football. Before the playoff final I saw one article where a fan was saying we are as big as a Derby or Swansea. Yeah right! QPR is not a backwards step!
To be fair, Jim Smith once said, autobiography I think, that Oxford could have been as big as Derby if they had maintained momentum in the 1980s. And Swansea were a bog standard 3rd or even 4th division outfit for most of their history.

We bought Dickie from Reading for a fee. Wonder if they put a sell-on in there, just in case.

To be fair, Jim Smith once said, autobiography I think, that Oxford could have been as big as Derby if they had maintained momentum in the 1980s. And Swansea were a bog standard 3rd or even 4th division outfit for most of their history.
We are nowhere near the size of Derby even if the late great Jim Smith thought we had the potential to be once upon a time. As for Swansea, you are correct in terms of their past history but in recent years they have grown massively. When you look at the population of the wider area compared to Oxon you can see why. We are not as big as either Derby or Swansea in my view!

• React
Reactions: Ian
QPR in the premiership 5 years ago and so where Pompey . Since then they have been in the bottom
8 with no hope of going any where interesting list
Of players who have left the Club and really have not fulfilled there potential . And the one who has really made it is Lunny and he took 2 years to shine QPR are at best a mid table championship side and are more likely to be league 1 than the Premier league . Now that saying Oxford are not a big club
But in my option the players that have been listed have chased the Cash , however if they had waited they could have had much bigger moves

We are nowhere near the size of Derby even if the late great Jim Smith thought we had the potential to be once upon a time. As for Swansea, you are correct in terms of their past history but in recent years they have grown massively. When you look at the population of the wider area compared to Oxon you can see why. We are not as big as either Derby or Swansea in my view!
Surely the opposite is true. Yes, Derby and Swansea are much bigger cities than Oxford. But throw in the population of the wider counties and Oxon, at c700K, is twice the size of West Glamorgan and pretty much on a par with Derbyshire.
So Jim Smith was right! We have the potential to be as big or bigger than both those clubs.

Back
Top Bottom