Manager/Coach Robbo out. Thread number 2

Should KR go now?

• Yes, now.

Votes: 11 4.2%
  • Yes, if we don't make the play-offs.

Votes: 17 6.5%
  • No, talk again at the end of next season.

Votes: 104 40.0%
  • No.

Votes: 128 49.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Robinson has a little bit of credit still in the bank that will maybe allow him more than next season, but you're exactly right about the expectations of the board.

When I speculated on players like Nicky Cadden and Sam Szmodics next season there were comments like "you must be dreaming if you think we'll get players like that". As you said on another post, Kane, McGuane, Browne and Holland haven't come here for peanuts. We're not quite at the 10k a week range with Vokes and others, but we're spending a lot more than some think.

Things are about to get even more interesting!
Then it'll be four full seasons where he's failed to gain promotion, with it being the explicit aim for this season and the next (rather than aspirational for the last couple of years). That would put him in an untenable position. The credit in the bank is stopping him being let go this summer, not next.

Then it'll be four full seasons where he's failed to gain promotion, with it being the explicit aim for this season and the next (rather than aspirational for the last couple of years). That would put him in an untenable position. The credit in the bank is stopping him being let go this summer, not next.
Promotion wasn’t the aim this year, it was to be in and around the play offs with the aim being promotion next season. Hence why we got players in January for next season rather than this season (Browne and Smyth).

Promotion wasn’t the aim this year, it was to be in and around the play offs with the aim being promotion next season. Hence why we got players in January for next season rather than this season (Browne and Smyth).
Yes that does seem right

I’d love to know whether Karl discusses his recruitment, and whether everyone says, yeah I reckon we’ll be fine with just the one left back. I can’t believe they’re scared to speak up

I voted for the "lets have a chat this time next year option".

Im absolutely astounded at our performances of late. One minute we look like Barcelona 2011, the next like Barton u11's.

And its not even as if its from one month to the next, one week to the next or even one game to the next. Against Fleetwood it was sublime beyond L1 level for 20 mins, then disastrous for the next 70 mins The buck must stop with the manager. It was very painful and not just inconsistent but worryingly bi - polar.

Bet you don't have a source for that.

I voted for the "lets have a chat this time next year option".

Im absolutely astounded at our performances of late. One minute we look like Barcelona 2011, the next like Barton u11's.

And its not even as if its from one month to the next, one week to the next or even one game to the next. Against Fleetwood it was sublime beyond L1 level for 20 mins, then disastrous for the next 70 mins The buck must stop with the manager. It was very painful and not just inconsistent but worryingly bi - polar.

it goes back to what I said on another thread. When teams let us play (Fleetwood first 20) we look unplayable. When teams get into us (Fleetwood when they woke up) we look bereft of ideas.

it goes back to what I said on another/this thread. When teams let us play (Fleetwood first 20) we look unplayable. When teams get into us (Fleetwood when they woke up) we look bereft of ideas.

Ah ok, someone better tell Bakrie and the money men then.

Ah ok, someone better tell Bakrie and the money men then.
If promotion was the target this year we'd have forced through a number of deals in January. The money was there but our targets weren't. It was felt that we'd be better waiting until the summer rather than switching targets late in the transfer window.

If promotion was the target this year we'd have forced through a number of deals in January. The money was there but our targets weren't. It was felt that we'd be better waiting until the summer rather than switching targets late in the transfer window.
So you're telling me after two play-off campaigns, a top-six budget and more ambitious owners we weren't targeting promotion to the Championship this year? Come off it.

See this summer then..

How many out of Brannagan, Kane, McNally, Sykes & Baldock do we re-sign/keep?

What signings will be made? We will see.

January showed the board wasn't going all guns blazing for promotion this season. Pulling out of the Defoe deal, not buying Nicky Cadden, Not buying Stockton, going for cheaper options in Baldock and Brown (both have turned out to be decent and it's unfortunate Baldock got injured but that's why he was a free agent)

The proof will be in the pudding for the summer window of wether we are going for it next season.

Surely promotion is the aim every season? You can't pick and choose which year you want it, you have to grab the chance when it comes along, unfortunately not getting the right players in January ultimately did for our chance at it this time.

January showed the board wasn't going all guns blazing for promotion this season. Pulling out of the Defoe deal, not buying Nicky Cadden, Not buying Stockton, going for cheaper options in Baldock and Brown (both have turned out to be decent and it's unfortunate Baldock got injured but that's why he was a free agent)

The proof will be in the pudding for the summer window of wether we are going for it next season.
I think what it shows is that the club weren't gunning for promotion at all costs this season, which is the right thing to do because you don't want to sacrifice financial stability. That doesn't however mean we didn't have the target of winning promotion this year, and I can totally understand it if they didn't want to blow their financial load with Karl in charge, given he's been given a decent budget to work with already.

Paying a big loan fee for Kane wasn’t for next season was it?

Surely promotion is the aim every season? You can't pick and choose which year you want it, you have to grab the chance when it comes along, unfortunately not getting the right players in January ultimately did for our chance at it this time.

There's a difference in want promotion and demand promotion. As you say they could of went and spent alot more in January on the likes of Szmodics, Nicky Cadden, Cole Stockton , another centre back etc but they didn't.

Instead they bought Marcus browne knowing we probably wouldn't be able to get him in the summer once he was fit and Oisin Smyth who was always going to take half a season to improve.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom