Manager/Coach Robbo out. Thread number 2

Should KR go now?

• Yes, now.

Votes: 11 4.2%
  • Yes, if we don't make the play-offs.

Votes: 17 6.5%
  • No, talk again at the end of next season.

Votes: 104 40.0%
  • No.

Votes: 128 49.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Let’s hope he does his business a lot sooner rather than later in the close window, let’s also hope we don’t read on here “ patience, he is waiting for the right player to come along “ and then end up with option B or even C
Well, he said on Saturday that the recruitment starts on Monday (yesterday.) All the board will be having a meeting and he'll be telling them who he wants.
He used his new cliché CLARITY several times and said we need to be aggressive in the transfer window .
Of course we've heard it all before but if the board back him he'll have to deliver.

Then umpteen other media companies will be competing for rights - Amazon, Apple, Virgin, the Norwegian company currently picking up rights around the world and a ton of others off of the radar.. These rights are going up in value all of the time - just look at the sort of deals they get of the US, Asia and Australasia.
Ag but imaging if they didn’t….things would go back to normal not money but pure football

Why will Luton be flirting with relegation next season? The squad has evolved/will continue to do so and they could yet be in the PL (although looking unlikely based on form).
Sorry I should have said if they’re promoted to the premiership they will be flirting with relegation

Well, he said on Saturday that the recruitment starts on Monday (yesterday.) All the board will be having a meeting and he'll be telling them who he wants.
He used his new cliché CLARITY several times and said we need to be aggressive in the transfer window .
Of course we've heard it all before but if the board back him he'll have to deliver.
Hasn’t he being saying that what the start of every transfer window?

I think at the moment if we were to be promoted next season we would more than likely come back down as I said this isn’t the old Division 2 this is the championship which generate a hell of a lot of money in comparison to the old Division 2.

But if the backing is their when we get to the championship I’m sure KR will have the backing to stay in the championship although we could be flirting with the relegation zone for a couple of seasons whilst we are building the Squad to become a force in the championship.
All I would say is that we are not going up! And therefore we are not going up with this team so it’s not worth worrying about. A team finishing 8th in league one stands little chance in the championship. We are exactly where we deserve to be. If/when we go up playing this way, it will have to be with a better defensive record. And it does seem to confuse some on the forum that you can play attacking football and keep clean sheets - that can be done!! We need to do that and if we do, we’d be a game for anyone in the championship with an improved player pool to pick from.

to be fair it was a bank holiday yesterday, therefore unlikely if any deals were done & paid for yesterday

btw, @bazzer9461 , have we signed anyone yet? ;)
Cor blimey @Sarge ask me around midnight 10th June 😉 although I will be in Malta that day as it’s my Ruby wedding anniversary on the 12th and somehow I don’t think Mrs Bazzer will allow me to look a my phone on the 12th😊

All I would say is that we are not going up! And therefore we are not going up with this team so it’s not worth worrying about. A team finishing 8th in league one stands little chance in the championship. We are exactly where we deserve to be. If/when we go up playing this way, it will have to be with a better defensive record. And it does seem to confuse some on the forum that you can play attacking football and keep clean sheets - that can be done!! We need to do that and if we do, we’d be a game for anyone in the championship with an improved player pool to pick from.
I know this team if we we’re in the championship would struggle anyone can tell you that. If and it is an if we get promoted next season then it would be a big clear out and replacements brought in that could manage in the championship.
We have a very rich board but it does depend on how they perceive bus to be a good championship club or a top half L1 side. At the moment all ifs and buts.

Last edited:
I know this team if we weee in the championship would struggle anyone can tell you that. If and it is an if we get promoted next season then it would be a big clear out and replacements brought in that could manage in the championship.
We have a very rich board but it does depend on how they perceive bus to be a good championship club or a top half L1 side. At the moment all ifs and buts.
P**s on the opposition?

KR is a league one manager and like all Lge1 players, has his strengths and weaknesses.

I’d prefer if the club could continue with him as it sets a good example to the leagues if we’re not forever changing managers as other clubs do when on the decline. I think he deserves another shot…..

However, unless he can change the lethargic way in which we’ve started the last few seasons with poor early form (indicative of the pre-season regime needing to improve, and players not quite up to fitness or form) then I expect him to be gone by October. I also think he needs a more senior assistant at his helm to rein him in and questions his acquisitions and some of his post match comments, Faz was clearly a good influence in the past. I’d get someone like Malcolm Crosby or Mike Ford in to help him, as both are a lot more measured than KR. He needs an older head to help him though, not someone like Mous.
You could have written this the season before last

I know this team if we we’re in the championship would struggle anyone can tell you that. If and it is an if we get promoted next season then it would be a big clear out and replacements brought in that could manage in the championship.
I think right now they have to see us as a top end league one club with potential to compete in the championship and no more. It’s best to own where we are rather than pretend anything else. If they look at our squad as anything close to ‘championship ready’ then there is a problem. It does need serious investment just to challenge at this level let alone the next one.

In the eyes of some, Wigan bought the league. Huge wages, transfer fees etc. That’s what we’re up against. Despite that, they will have to go again in the market as that team will very likely come straight back down!

I think right now they have to see us as a top end league one club with potential to compete in the championship and no more. It’s best to own where we are rather than pretend anything else. If they look at our squad as anything close to ‘championship ready’ then there is a problem. It does need serious investment just to challenge at this level let alone the next one.

In the eyes of some, Wigan bought the league. Huge wages, transfer fees etc. That’s what we’re up against. Despite that, they will have to go again in the market as that team will very likely come straight back down!
I’ve asked that question as well considering they were close to going out of business and were skint, then ok and behold there acquisition’s last summer made a lot clubs think and fans of those clubs think how the f**k could they afford that considering size wise I don’t think they’re much bigger than us and our owners are a dam sight more wealthier.

Just worth noting we did have pretty bad luck with injuries, covid and Thorniley being recalled as well. At difficult times.

Covid yes, but the injuries and Thorniley returning we had ample opportunity (and funds) to plan for. Squad depth and balance is the reason we didn't get promoted this year, particularly in the Jan transfer window.

I’ve asked that question as well considering they were close to going out of business and were skint, then ok and behold there acquisition’s last summer made a lot clubs think and fans of those clubs think how the f**k could they afford that considering size wise I don’t think they’re much bigger than us and our owners are a dam sight more wealthier.
I think the questions lie at the door of the EFL. I’m not an expert on FFP but my personal view is there should be some limitations put on clubs who have gone in to administration or similar. Say, 3 seasons of capped spending increasing year on year dependent on clean books and financial management. It would help ensure new owners come in with genuinely good intentions. To allow a club penalised with FFP violations to then just spend freely like that is questionable and unjust on clubs that comply with the rules year after year and succeed or fail within that.

But, to their credit, Ipswich had the same gameplan and got nowhere near. So full credit to their coach and back room team for pulling it all together.

I think the questions lie at the door of the EFL. I’m not an expert on FFP but my personal view is there should be some limitations put on clubs who have gone in to administration or similar. Say, 3 seasons of capped spending increasing year on year dependent on clean books and financial management. It would help ensure new owners come in with genuinely good intentions. To allow a club penalised with FFP violations to then just spend freely like that is questionable and unjust on clubs that comply with the rules year after year and succeed or fail within that.

But, to their credit, Ipswich had the same gameplan and got nowhere near. So full credit to their coach and back room team for pulling it all together.

Wigan's title-winning squad construction was a bit weird really.

Other than their big splash signing of McClean, and Lang who came up through their youth system, almost every other player that made a big contribution for them this season was signed for free from one of their promotion rivals - Whatmough & Naylor from Pompey, Wyke & Power from Sunderland, Amos from Charlton, Edwards & Keane from Ipswich.

Either they were offering daft wages (and the EFL were asleep at the wheel as usual when it came to FFP - Wigan's income can't be much higher than ours) or all the other clubs made some really dumb decisions to let top League One players go, and Wigan just did a great job of hoovering them all up.

Wigan's title-winning squad construction was a bit weird really.

Other than their big splash signing of McClean, and Lang who came up through their youth system, almost every other player that made a big contribution for them this season was signed for free from one of their promotion rivals - Whatmough & Naylor from Pompey, Wyke & Power from Sunderland, Amos from Charlton, Edwards & Keane from Ipswich.

Either they were offering daft wages (and the EFL were asleep at the wheel as usual when it came to FFP - Wigan's income can't be much higher than ours) or all the other clubs made some really dumb decisions to let top League One players go, and Wigan just did a great job of hoovering them all up.
Must have been daft wages considering McLean was rumoured to be in 18k a week with half being paid by stoke and I’m sure Wyke and power weee on almost 5 figures…….something isn’t right

There is no FFP in league 1 or 2.
Is it the Salary Cost Management Protocol in another name? Spending limits set at 60% of club turnover on wages for league one (55% for league 2) although transfer fees (and presumably bonuses etc) are excluded.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom