Manager/Coach Robbo out. Thread number 2

Should KR go now?

• Yes, now.

Votes: 11 4.2%
  • Yes, if we don't make the play-offs.

Votes: 17 6.5%
  • No, talk again at the end of next season.

Votes: 104 40.0%
  • No.

Votes: 128 49.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I watch football for entertainment and have I been entertained during KR's spell as manager? Absolutely.

Am I frustrated we're likely going to miss the play-offs? Yeah of course, but I have faith next season will still be an enjoyable experience (although maybe sign a couple of defensive minded players, ideally full backs).

All I can think of is this now!

giphy.gif

View attachment 8635

My name is Karlius Maximus Wingerus, Commander of the armies of the South, General of the Shire Legions and loyal to the true emperor, Tigerus.

On my signal, unleash Hell!
Karlius robinusofplayoffius, rises to his feet on his command and unleashes hell!!!! (Well, he sends in sammius winnf'allius, who charging at the hordes, trips, stubs a toe, and is out of the battle). Never mind karl there's always next time , then next time and next time.

All I can think of is this now!

giphy.gif

Of course, Maximus' comments were supposed to be a criticism of the crowd - that their desire for the short term bloodthirsty thrill of watching random acts of violence distracted them, bread and circus-style, from analyzing and rebelling against the corruption and excesses of Rome's leaders........

.....or, in short, Russell Crowe thinks that we should concentrate on defending better.

Of course, Maximus' comments were supposed to be a criticism of the crowd - that their desire for the short term bloodthirsty thrill of watching random acts of violence distracted them, bread and circus-style, from analyzing and rebelling against the corruption and excesses of Rome's leaders........

.....or, in short, Russell Crowe thinks that we should concentrate on defending better.

Unfortunately, we’re too often The Nice Guys.

This has been an interesting thread with the general consensus being that KR still has some credit in the bank but that's he is nearing the overdraft facility and he needs a new investment strategy that involves getting more points away from home and having more than one defender on the books.

Some of the early posts suggested that it's a stark choice between KR's expansive 3-2 potential winning football or Atkins dour turgid 1-0 wins if you can get away with it. Nonsense, you can still win in an entertaining fashion albeit perhaps 2-0 or 2-1 rather than 3-2 and that is what KR needs to work out how to do if we are to make the small step from play-off contenders to serious promotion contenders.

Having sat in a sports bar this evening and watched both CL semi-finals simultaneously on huge screens (I'm away from home with work so forgive me (but on the way to Fleetwood :))) I am far more in favour of the Liverpool (KR) approach rather than the Athletico Madrid (Simone) one but Liverpool don't tend to let in many goals - apart from tonight of course!

Getting f*****g tiresome this.
Try smiling and join in the joke. :ROFLMAO:Though you were on ignore so how you got through, I don't know. Try the women's institute website, its a forum for opinions. Or borrow Mystic M'eggs crystal ball for potential summer signings.

This has been an interesting thread with the general consensus being that KR still has some credit in the bank but that's he is nearing the overdraft facility and he needs a new investment strategy that involves getting more points away from home and having more than one defender on the books.

Some of the early posts suggested that it's a stark choice between KR's expansive 3-2 potential winning football or Atkins dour turgid 1-0 wins if you can get away with it. Nonsense, you can still win in an entertaining fashion albeit perhaps 2-0 or 2-1 rather than 3-2 and that is what KR needs to work out how to do if we are to make the small step from play-off contenders to serious promotion contenders.

Having sat in a sports bar this evening and watched both CL semi-finals simultaneously on huge screens (I'm away from home with work so forgive me (but on the way to Fleetwood :))) I am far more in favour of the Liverpool (KR) approach rather than the Athletico Madrid (Simone) one but Liverpool don't tend to let in many goals - apart from tonight of course!

I thank Atkins a lot for what he did... he basically stopped the rot of us losing.

But turgid wins of 1-0 is possibly a stretch ?

Turgid 1-1 draws is my memory.

Serious note: for me, Atkins always gets overlooked when people discuss Oxford's turnaround in fortunes. Not losing at the breeze block was huge for us once upon a time.

But F-k me, it was dire to watch!

I thank Atkins a lot for what he did... he basically stopped the rot of us losing.

Serious note: for me, Atkins always gets overlooked when people discuss Oxford's turnaround in fortunes. Not losing at the breeze block was huge for us once upon a time.

And he was the man who took Torquay United on a remarkable winning streak over their last six games in the 0506 season which consigned us to the Conference so he had a massive impact on Oxford United’s fortunes!

I stopped going at that point- partly because I didn’t like the new ground, but also the dull football. Didn't resume till 2006.

Or to look at it differently they’ve let in just 22 goals in 31 PL games thus season - I’d take that ratio per game.
Speaking of Liverpool, here are some basic numbers from the last few PL seasons…

Liverpool 18/19:
97 points, GD +67, GA 22

Liverpool 19/20:
99 points, GD +52, GA 33

Liverpool 20/21:
69 points, GD +26, GA 42

*Liverpool 21/22:
73 points, GD +57, GA 22

What happened in 20/21 when they barely scraped into the top four after two seasons of nearly 100 points each, including a title win and a Champions League triumph? They lost all of their main central defenders to freak season-long injuries at the same time. Still had their ‘Holy Trinity’ of world class forwards fully fit and available (plus Jota by that point), but it didn’t matter because without a solid and settled defence their entire output suffered. Even the best forward line in the country, and arguably the world on its day, couldn’t outgun a wobbly back line, nor could the team attack as freely and confidently in order to feed them.

As you have rightly commented, it isn’t a choice between free-flowing champagne football or Stevenage Borough circa 2009. Were our League Two legends boring and defensive because they conceded the least goals in the division (would’ve been far less still if we didn’t have two actively dreadful keepers chucking the ball into the net every other week), or did they allow our midfield and attacking talent to flourish and score goals for fun because they could handle themselves? I don’t know why it has been presented in such an all or nothing manner, particularly by people like Nick Harris which is gravely disappointing, but it’s disingenuous and intentionally misleading for anybody to make out like a better defence means sacrificing the style of play. Having a slightly better calibre of defender and a basic level of depth to provide competition and cover, rather than having nine players competing for three spots in the attacking areas, does not mean people nodding off in the stands while someone parks a double decker across the goal.

*season ongoing, but they’re projected for another 90+ PL points and are in the CL semi-finals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom