Champions League Scousers v Real

Not only do we each own and live in our respective houses, but I’ve got two sheds in my garden.

I’m untouchable, mate.

giphy.gif

Real have a better manager. He sussed that the opposing full backs like to go walk about.

Though he couldn’t turn Everton around.

Pleasing result.

Not confusing it at all.

#Remember97 (thanks for the update on numbers @unification ) that Liverpool use to recognise those that died at Hillsborough.

#Remember86 is what @Essexyellows used to blame Liverpool for the European football ban.

He is the one that linked the two by making a cheap and unnecessary comment that is as pathetic as he is.

Some Liverpool fans were very clearly responsible for the deaths at Heysel. But this was an accident waiting to happen in old, crumbling stadiums and thousands of hooligans intent on violence. It happened during a European Cup final in Belguim, It could have just as easily happened at the Manor or countless grounds throughout this country and all through Europe. Millwall and Luton fans rioted just months before and a police was almost killed when struck on the head by a lump of concrete before being revived in the stands. A kid died at Birmingham when a wall collapsed after rioting. The Bradford fire killed so many because fans were caged in following previous acts of violence. There had been violence in Spain during the 1982 world cup, and virtually every European game of that era had rioting british fans. The ban was waiting to happen and it could have just as easily happened to Norwich or Oxford in the preceeding years had they got to compete.

Didn’t you accuse me of whataboutery the other day ??????????

Not that I particularly want to get dragged into this, but...

English fans had been doing similar all over Europe for years, look at the 1980 Euros for example. The same tragedy could have happened at any of them. Hysel was a delapidated stadium, and the crush occurred partly because of that when English and Italian fans clashed. Of course it was the innocent supporters who were caught in the middle and caused the tragic crush.

ALL fans who behaved like this leading up to 1985 had a part in the outcome, to say it was just Liverpool fans is whitewashing what went before of the highest order.

Why wouldn’t you ban the clubs responsible ?

Because to ban a whole people for the actions of others would rather strike me as some pretty indefensible discrimination.

A bit like banning all Muslims from the UK because a couple of people did some bad things here in the name of Islam.

It appears that a combination of people with no tickets just as likely to be "jeunes' from St Denis/forged tickets/getting past ticket checkers and overload to get into stadium caused the issues last night reading French press comments..similar issue to Euros at Wembley..not great but total over reaction by UK press. UEFA need to sort out ticketing for fan base but were there any issues with Real fans we don't know do we. Yes LFC did arrive 'late" as they weren't all in their seats for kick off. Yes the kick off was delayed to try and sort the issues and no one was seriously hurt that we know of. No it isn't nice to be on the wrong end of a riot clampdown.
Glad Real won anyway.

Thank f**k Liverpool lost this and the title, couldn’t of handled the smug, nauseating, gloating from there fans.

Went to a pub in Grove to watch it, a few Scouse shirters were in there, was glad Real won! I told one to change allegiance to us!

Never quite understood the churned out narrative that you ride your luck because you keeper has a good game. A keeper is one of the eleven, is it lucky too if you’re striker scores on a breakaway or with a deflection ? It’s like De Gea at Man Utd, he makes lots of saves but that’s his job and well done to the club for identifying him in the first place and the coaching staff for keeping him at that level.

Keepers are the lynchpin of many great sides and there’s no way a lot of these seasonal winners would do it without them. From Banks, Zoff, Maier of yesteryear to Schmiechel, Seaman and Cech more recently and through to Alison, Edison, Courtois and de Gea of today.

I was to my eternal shame a Liverpool fan as a small kid. The night of hysel I had ( as you had to in those days) booked the telly sat down and watched the disaster unfold. I had only supported them because my mate did and a couple of weeks later, my brother was home from the navy took me to the manor.
The rest as they say is history. I’m very meh about Liverpool now and actually thought and a bit hoped that Real would win.

Those idiots at hysel turned me off Liverpool and I’ll never forgive them for loosing us our European foray.

Thank God that the dippers got beat last night!

I cannot stand them or anything they stand for.

LFC were responsible for the Heysel tragedy.
LFC supporters stormed the gates at Hillsborough without tickets.
LFC were responsible for OUFC not getting our chance to play European football.
LFC are the only English club to boo the national anthem and Obide with me.

It’s an absolute joke the way the media appear to panda to them.

Even last night, it was LFC supporters jumping gates and breaking lines to gain access to the ground - it didn’t happen at the Real end, did it?

Any club that boo the anthem and obide with me imo, do not identify as English.

Hala Madrid!

Last edited:
Ticketless fans or fans with fake tickets caused delays at turnstiles. We’re they all Liverpool fans? Possibly not. Did the same happen at the Madrid end? Not that I’ve read. It was the Parc de Prince, they’re well used to large crowds and to hear people saying they were unprepared is rubbish. Unprepared for ticketless idiots maybe.
All I’m hearing or reading is how much of a shambles the stadium security was, but our media need to balance their reporting because there hasn’t been a whiff of criticism of the fans trying to get in the Liverpool end, just a few fan videos of fans climbing gates and barriers that haven’t been shown on MSM.
Get a backbone and tell it as it is British media.

McCaldon played at the time I moved away from Oxford and stopped going to games.

Am I to assume he wasn’t the best?
The only memory I have of McCaldon is him taking an age to clear a routine backpass, leaving enough time for an opposition striker to close him down and the eventual clearance getting deflected into the goal in front of the East Stand.

Good times.

• React
Reactions: MJB
Thank God that the dippers got beat last night!

I cannot stand them or anything they stand for.

LFC were responsible for the Heysel tragedy.
LFC supporters stormed the gates at Hillsborough without tickets.
LFC were responsible for OUFC not getting our chance to play European football.
LFC are the only English club to boo the national anthem and Obide with me.

It’s an absolute joke the way the media appear to panda to them.

Even last night, it was LFC supporters jumping gates and breaking lines to gain access to the ground - it didn’t happen at the Real end, did it?

Any club that boo the anthem and obide with me imo, do not identify as English.

Hala Madrid!

I think this is the acid test here.

If this wasn’t going on at the Real end, one can only come to obvious conclusions about the one vital ingredient for the trouble.

I'm glad the game is over and this thread will die off, and hopefully some of the views about blaming today's football fans for the actions of others 40 years ago will also die too.

Some seem to forget what football was like in the 80's and all clubs had their issues, including our own. We have regular posts on here where people proudly talk about storming their end etc. With stadiums like the Manor, walls could have easily crumbled. With fencing up, fans could have easily been crushed. And it was a miracle that we didn't have more major incidents. Policing was also heavy handed and football fans were treated like animals. The Hillsborough enquiry shows from top to bottom how the Police, media and political elite thought about ordinary people going to football games.

If want to blame Liverpool as a club, or a city on everything that happened, then nothing I say will change your mind. But you're ignoring the systemic issues that were faced and give far too many people an easy way out from their inexcusable actions over many years.

Back
Top Bottom