Ex Player Sean Clare

Same old story then. Promise the earth (top 30, new ground progress, takeover and cash injection); sell best players; complain about Board lack of commitment in the transfer market; leave your signings to the last minute (again) - usually "bargain" crocks and PL loanees (who are green) and then have a terrible start to the season. Repeat .... promise the earth ..............

Same old story then. Promise the earth (top 30, new ground progress, takeover and cash injection); sell best players; complain about Board lack of commitment in the transfer market; leave your signings to the last minute (again) - usually "bargain" crocks and PL loanees (who are green) and then have a terrible start to the season. Repeat .... promise the earth ..............
Best players.
OK I will give you Atkinson but Clare? I assume you didn't mean that.
If we only sign crocks and PL loaness it is amazing that we manage to sell players every season on the basis that they are injured or have gone back to their clubs,
Or do we often buy excellent young players? Atkinson, Moore, Brannagan, Whyte, McNally (hopefully), Taylor (OK not young), Gorrin?

Or do we often buy excellent young players? - Yes - and do we often sell them - yes. And is this to help keep the club afloat - yes. And does this policy stop us building a stable squad of skilled players that can earn promotion automatically - yes. I always hear the club are going places - top 30 ambition BUT the actions taken rarely demonstrate this. Lot's of people say you should be grateful that the Board fund a loss making club - yes agreed BUT please then don't go spinning again about your ambitions IF you won't or can't make the necessary player investment and back a frustrated manager. NO ONE sane goes into football ownership expecting to make money, so if your going to do it either present achievable and realistic targets, rather then the dream we seem to be peddled every season. It's a fine line, but it just seems to be groundhog day again. That said they'll probably announce a new stadium site next week and I can eat humble pie. But please less of the spin and a bit more reality would be appreciated- after all the season ticket renewal deadline has now passed.

Or do we often buy excellent young players? - Yes - and do we often sell them - yes. And is this to help keep the club afloat - yes. And does this policy stop us building a stable squad of skilled players that can earn promotion automatically - yes. I always hear the club are going places - top 30 ambition BUT the actions taken rarely demonstrate this. Lot's of people say you should be grateful that the Board fund a loss making club - yes agreed BUT please then don't go spinning again about your ambitions IF you won't or can't make the necessary player investment and back a frustrated manager. NO ONE sane goes into football ownership expecting to make money, so if your going to do it either present achievable and realistic targets, rather then the dream we seem to be peddled every season. It's a fine line, but it just seems to be groundhog day again. That said they'll probably announce a new stadium site next week and I can eat humble pie. But please less of the spin and a bit more reality would be appreciated- after all the season ticket renewal deadline has now passed.
To be fair though, most of the hype and exciting promises come from ‘itk’ people on here! The club, as ever, says very little.

I find myself thinking that, at the moment, we are seeing the stagnation and neglect prior to the current owner departing. We've been here before, Lenagan and Eales both pulled the plug and went quiet. Tiger has never had the finance to run the club alone and by bringing in his very wealthy mates was able to keep things afloat and, granted, actually improve things.
However, his mates have now got other ideas and want control to further their ambitions and have bought shares in the holding set up (Oxford Investment Holdings PTE) in sufficient quantity to take control once Tiger concedes. Presumably, the finance from the Indonesian side has stopped and any plans that were dependant on that finance have had to be curtailed or abandoned. I don't know but, the coincidence of how things have happened, season tickets etc has me concerned.
It may be that there are other issues to blame for the lack of transfer announcements, the lack of clarity with the season tickets, the departure of the front of shirt sponsor (and the arrival of another with a very low key profile) but, as I said, the coincidences are mounting. 18 days to season kick off. Cutting it a bit fine again.

I find myself thinking that, at the moment, we are seeing the stagnation and neglect prior to the current owner departing. We've been here before, Lenagan and Eales both pulled the plug and went quiet. Tiger has never had the finance to run the club alone and by bringing in his very wealthy mates was able to keep things afloat and, granted, actually improve things.
However, his mates have now got other ideas and want control to further their ambitions and have bought shares in the holding set up (Oxford Investment Holdings PTE) in sufficient quantity to take control once Tiger concedes. Presumably, the finance from the Indonesian side has stopped and any plans that were dependant on that finance have had to be curtailed or abandoned. I don't know but, the coincidence of how things have happened, season tickets etc has me concerned.
It may be that there are other issues to blame for the lack of transfer announcements, the lack of clarity with the season tickets, the departure of the front of shirt sponsor (and the arrival of another with a very low key profile) but, as I said, the coincidences are mounting. 18 days to season kick off. Cutting it a bit fine again.
As per the great OUFC leave it to late to get transfers in so we end up with a crap start and if lucky as we have in the last two seasons make the playoffs but as with Blackpool showed with their recruitment more shrewder than ours by a long way, the first leg we were the whipping boys

Best players.
OK I will give you Atkinson but Clare?

He's probably crap. I mean, it seems like it's only Charlton, Sunderland, Ipswich and Portsmouth that would like to sign him, and I'm sure we will finish above all those...

Let’s be honest, if Sean Clare wasn’t already our player and instead we had just signed him on the back of his performances for Hearts and, more recently, Burton, then the overly positive/blindly optimistic types on here would be absolutely singing his praises, bigging him up, pointing out how good he was for a poor Burton team last season, how he has great physical attributes, is a good age and how the likes of Charlton, Sunderland, Ipswich and Portsmouth were all in for him. Instead, as we’re selling him, then he’s absolutely rubbish and we’ve got 6 midfielders way better apparently!

Let’s be honest, if Sean Clare wasn’t already our player and instead we had just signed him on the back of his performances for Hearts and, more recently, Burton, then the overly positive/blindly optimistic types on here would be absolutely singing his praises, bigging him up, pointing out how good he was for a poor Burton team last season, how he has great physical attributes, is a good age and how the likes of Charlton, Sunderland, Ipswich and Portsmouth were all in for him. Instead, as we’re selling him, then he’s absolutely rubbish and we’ve got 6 midfielders way better apparently!

For the record, I haven't said that he is rubbish and thought he looked decent on Friday in that deeper role and would have been very happy with him staying. But I would have thought that it would have been him or Gorrin for that one position, and I'm not sure that Clare would have been happy with sharing that role. If we've got the money being suggested, and Clare was unhappy playing a bit part then it is a decent deal for all concerned.

But surely it only needs an injury or injuries and we end up in the same position as last season with no defensive cover and we're not exactly overflowing in that department now either with recent injuries and sales.

Clearly written by someone who has forgotten that we used to be in the effing Conference, and League Two, and came a game or two short of being in the Championship not just last season, but the one before as well.

You might not like it, and it might not be happening quickly enough for you, but you can't deny it's working.

For the record, I haven't said that he is rubbish and thought he looked decent on Friday in that deeper role and would have been very happy with him staying. But I would have thought that it would have been him or Gorrin for that one position, and I'm not sure that Clare would have been happy with sharing that role. If we've got the money being suggested, and Clare was unhappy playing a bit part then it is a decent deal for all concerned.
How much was suggested?

Clearly written by someone who has forgotten that we used to be in the effing Conference, and League Two, and came a game or two short of being in the Championship not just last season, but the one before as well.

You might not like it, and it might not be happening quickly enough for you, but you can't deny it's working.
We used to be in the top tier too. I don’t think anyone doesn’t appreciate that successive managers have done a pretty decent job and it’s been great to make the play offs like we have, however, the publicly stated aim of the club and the actual actions have not matched.

Now we could quite feasibly sign a whole host of quality players in the next week but I don’t think anyone can be blamed for feeling frustrated.

As for whether it’s working or whether in recent seasons we’ve been bloody fortunate to finish where we have then I guess that’s open to interpretation. Looking at the current squad with only a few weeks to go before the season starts I’d say Robinson will be earning his corn.

These figures take on a life of their own.

There is absolutely no way that they paid us that amount. If it was six figures, we’ve done well.
Do you honestly think he signed for less than £100k with 2 or 3 more clubs interested in him?? Ok!!!

What was the lack of clarity regarding Season Tickets?
Well, if you hadn't noticed, the "offer" changed as the marketing became updated as more and more of the responses from supporters was noted. The original deal failed to include the U's cash, the £10 start up credit, the "package" sent out turned into a flyer which, rather curiously, advertised a surprise event for season ticket holders at the stadium (off limits as being utilised by the vaccination team) We also had the deal whereby new season tickets would have the name of the holder placed in the tunnel leading to the pitch, no mention of last seasons holders who had received no recognition until, that also was the subject of supporters complaints. The credit due to those who had sacrificed in the 19/20 season was somehow turned into a debit by Ticketmaster and caused more grief with the on-line system.
Did you really miss all of this?

Back
Top Bottom