National News Sir Keir Starmer

I think it's a shame that people clearly have strong political views yet don't exercise their right to vote.
Unfortunately the way our system works means there is no real point for many to do so.

Personally speaking, I have voted in every GE that I have been able to. First living in Thame, then Bicester. Both the safest of Tory seats. I've never voted Conservative, and I know my vote is a waste of time. I can see why people don't bother.

Unfortunately the way our system works means there is no real point for many to do so.

Personally speaking, I have voted in every GE that I have been able to. First living in Thame, then Bicester. Both the safest of Tory seats. I've never voted Conservative, and I know my vote is a waste of time. I can see why people don't bother.

I agree, but Bicester is very different now and there is real chance of change. I was surprised to see that the old Bicester and Banbury constituency has only had 3 MP's since 1959, all Tories obviously. All votes will make a difference this year.

I agree, but Bicester is very different now and there is real chance of change. I was surprised to see that the old Bicester and Banbury constituency has only had 3 MP's since 1959, all Tories obviously. All votes will make a difference this year.

What changes exactly ?

Yeah a bit of electoral excitement at last, and it's only taken me into my 50s... 🤣

I think it's a shame that people clearly have strong political views yet don't exercise their right to vote.
I do respect this/ your opinion, and I have voted in the past, but I'm just so fed up of it all.

The big catch-all parties (Conservative/Labour) just canvas for public opinion, shape their manifesto to it, which is worth literally nothing, and then fail to deliver on anything. Even if they wanted to deliver some sort of meaningful change they would be stymied by the bloated and political civil service, or the legal profession. If a party wanted radical change the system is set up to prevent them from doing it.

That's before we get into the frankly ludicrous FPTP system we use here.

I'd be a little more excited if we had more referendums, like on the license fee for example would get my interest up.

If voting made a difference they wouldn't let us do it. The real movers and shakers are faceless lawyers, CEOs, Director-Generals, and organisations we can't vote in or out like the IMF, World Bank, WHO, WEF.

I didn’t vote at the last General Election as I was working away in Nottingham but didn’t find out that until I was till too late to do the postal thing.

Wouldn’t of made any difference as I live in the Aldershot constituency which has been won by the Conservative Party every election since it was bought into being in 1922, the last election had a majority of 16,500 and even the Blair landslide election of 97 was won with a 5,000 majority, I am not in Oxford East anymore.

I will vote because I feel I should even though it’s fairly pointless round here, but couldn’t blame anyone who didn’t.

I didn’t vote at the last General Election as I was working away in Nottingham but didn’t find out that until I was till too late to do the postal thing.

Wouldn’t of made any difference as I live in the Aldershot constituency which has been won by the Conservative Party every election since it was bought into being in 1922, the last election had a majority of 16,500 and even the Blair landslide election of 97 was won with a 5,000 majority, I am not in Oxford East anymore.

I will vote because I feel I should even though it’s fairly pointless round here, but couldn’t blame anyone who didn’t.
It is total madness we accept this system.

It is total madness we accept this system.

When you look at how many peoples votes are pointless, how the House of Commons doesn’t really represent how the country votes proportionally then it is.

The only thing first past the post is good for is getting a result, we don’t get a lot of coalitions other than the brief Con/lib dem one, but penalty shoot outs are good at getting you a result but you don’t skip the match and go straight to them.

Probably time for a change but can’t see it happening.

What changes ??

Couldn’t agree more.

Problem is, you’ll get shot down for not giving a s**t and being selfish.

But I’m not voting, and my life isn’t going to improve or worsen one way or the other.
You are so wrong. Labour are in no way a panacea but they have historically, evidently been better for your average citizen than the Tories have been.

But people listen to mind numbing, ignorant, racist right wing media.

One way to consider your vote is to vote purely for the person. A good MP will represent you on the things that matter to your constituency. You might not be able to affect geopolitics or major National ideological issues, or party whips etc, but putting a large number of good humans into parliament can’t hurt.
Despite what people say, there ARE good humans standing, they might just not be in party you usually align with.

You are so wrong. Labour are in no way a panacea but they have historically, evidently been better for your average citizen than the Tories have been.

But people listen to mind numbing, ignorant, racist right wing media.
Invading Iraq really helped the average citizen.

I see an incredible amount of ignorance and racism from the left-wing media. As much if not more so than right wing media.

You often present your feelings as facts, I make MC Yellow spot on. Your belief in the Labour party is cute but misplaced.

Marched against it.

Left wing media? Go on.

Any evidence is welcome.
The decision to invade Iraq was catastrophic, and Blair went in on known lies. The claim they have been better for the average person has been questionable for the last 40 years. Better at pretending they care? yes. The reality? a far less clear picture.

I'm not sure what you're trying to say with the second paragraph. Surely you're not denying the existence of left-wing media? The vast majority of social media apps before Elon took over X had an insane left-wing bias, most Holywood films are left-leaning, as are the actors who act in them. You will deny that of course.

The vast majority of "comedy" on the BBC, ITV, Channel 4 is left-wing tedious drivel led by activists pretending to be comedians like Nish Kumar or James Acaster.

Newspapers like the Guardian are rammed full of ignorance in the exact same way Daily Mail pieces are.

You're dyed-in-the-wool Labour, as I said, I don't vote and don't have a horse. But I've always believed UK media has a strong left-wing bias outside of newspapers, which is not how most young people consume news. My whole life in school, education, the workplace, film, media I have felt has a left-wing bias. In universities and and workplaces I've known right-wing people hide their opinions, whilst left-wing people boldly spout claims assuming everybody agrees with them.

The people who want to defund the BBC are on the right, not the left, because they know it has a left-wing bias.

The decision to invade Iraq was catastrophic, and Blair went in on known lies. The claim they have been better for the average person has been questionable for the last 40 years. Better at pretending they care? yes. The reality? a far less clear picture.

I'm not sure what you're trying to say with the second paragraph. Surely you're not denying the existence of left-wing media? The vast majority of social media apps before Elon took over X had an insane left-wing bias, most Holywood films are left-leaning, as are the actors who act in them. You will deny that of course.

The vast majority of "comedy" on the BBC, ITV, Channel 4 is left-wing tedious drivel led by activists pretending to be comedians like Nish Kumar or James Acaster.

Newspapers like the Guardian are rammed full of ignorance in the exact same way Daily Mail pieces are.

You're dyed-in-the-wool Labour, as I said, I don't vote and don't have a horse. But I've always believed UK media has a strong left-wing bias outside of newspapers, which is not how most young people consume news. My whole life in school, education, the workplace, film, media I have felt has a left-wing bias. In universities and and workplaces I've known right-wing people hide their opinions, whilst left-wing people boldly spout claims assuming everybody agrees with them.

The people who want to defund the BBC are on the right, not the left, because they know it has a left-wing bias.
What do you mean by left wing?

That's before we get into the frankly ludicrous FPTP system we use here.

I'd be a little more excited if we had more referendums, like on the license fee for example would get my interest up.

Though of course we had a referendum on getting rid of FPTP......and 67.9% of people voted to keep it.

One of the reasons I hate referendums!

Back
Top Bottom