National News Sir Keir Starmer

But it was a war. It was the British army against the IRA
The minute you realise this wasn't “the troubles” or a “special Military Operation” then you realise soldiers will die.

What other option was there? I still don’t get your point about Blair releasing political prisoners?
It was a conflict not a war there is a difference. I don’t know all the ins and outs but ther re lease of all political prisoners I think on licence was paramount to the Good Friday agreement and was controversial and a lot found it hard to accept

This sums up British politics: "don't vote for us because we're good, vote for us because the other guys are worse"

Always political point scoring. No solutions to problems most people face. Not proud of spoiling my ballot but it annoys me so much.

To be fair to this guy, he was asked a direct question and gave a direct answer 😂. Not something we see very often in politics.

The Conservatives have no moral high ground to be holding Labour to account either.

Politics is just completely bankrupt.

How does one criticise/ disagree with the Israeli government without being anti semitic?

Personally can’t see how they did get over the boarder in those numbers without anyone having intelligence that it was going to happen?
Either half the IDF were asleep at their posts or that something very crooked happened.

Being a politician and not toeing the national political line on Israel is a very dangerous thing.

If what was reported was true, it sounds like the rant of a conspiracy theorist.
Or perhaps he was saying what he thought the local party activists in the room wanted to hear?

Anyway apparently he’s remorseful, or just sorry he got caught out.

Sir Keir must be tearing his hair out.

If people support a cause any terrorism committed by people on that causes side is nearly always attributed to “black flag” operations by the opposition, see the post a couple above this one. They can’t stand seeing the opposition as victims even when they quite clearly have been.

If people support a cause any terrorism committed by people on that causes side is nearly always attributed to “black flag” operations by the opposition, see the post a couple above this one. They can’t stand seeing the opposition as victims even when they quite clearly have been.
If you think I have anything but distain for the actions of hamas you are clearly utterly misreading what I wrote.

My suggestion is that the idf were caught napping one way or the other and it was either a cock up or not by the Israeli government.

The Israeli government is currently going in when almost every other nation is asking them to stop, and the Israeli people have rightly got a lot of questions for their government regarding how this happened.

Personally I think they were caught napping, and the government on top of responding to the crimes are going further than almost everyone else feels reasonable because they will take a kicking at home when the dust settles.

How does one criticise/ disagree with the Israeli government without being anti semitic?

This is where things are being deliberately twisted to gaslight genuine concerns about Israels conduct.

The actions of Hamas on Oct 7th were barbaric in the extreme, but the response from Israel has been so incredibly disproportionate with the illegal killing of 10's of thousands of children, women and innocent citizens that many are talking of warcrimes.

My views have nothing to do with either side being Islamic or Jewish, but just despair at the humanitarian losses on all sides.

Criticism shouldn't make anyone antisemitic or islamiphobic.

Where you have terrorists/freedom fighters you will have a state that wants them negated.

The IRA & the British State fought an armed conflict and the majority that died were innocent civilians.
Both sides, eventually, found some common ground to stand on and the political process started to gain traction.
Sometime later we have a form of political agreement that has outweighed the choice to take up arms but that still remains a problem with extremist factions.

In Palestine you have Hamas who have vowed to "wipe out Israel" and Israel who have vowed to "wipe out Hamas".

Good luck finding the common ground in that one. And the civilians will pay the price.

The Greens have opted to withdraw support for their candidate too.
Monster Raving Looney candidate is aiming for zero votes to the other candidates a chance.
I wouldn’t be surprised if the Liberal democrats take the seat. Cyril Smith represented them for many years
I’ve just checked the odds and apparently George Galloway is odds on favourite with the Liberals in at 40-1. Surely votes will drift away from Labour, not that that would concern them

Monster Raving Looney candidate is aiming for zero votes to the other candidates a chance.
I wouldn’t be surprised if the Liberal democrats take the seat. Cyril Smith represented them for many years

I’d be very surprised if the Lib Dem’s won.

I suspect the ‘Labour candidate’ will win despite or because of his conspiracy theory rant, the Labour vote might be split with George Galloway and the previous Labour MP Simon Danczuk
picking up a few votes.

Last edited:
I’ve just checked the odds and apparently George Galloway is odds on favourite with the Liberals in at 40-1. Surely votes will drift away from Labour, not that that would concern them
How many seats do monster raving stand in? Would be tempted to lend them a vote.

This is where things are being deliberately twisted to gaslight genuine concerns about Israels conduct.

The actions of Hamas on Oct 7th were barbaric in the extreme, but the response from Israel has been so incredibly disproportionate with the illegal killing of 10's of thousands of children, women and innocent citizens that many are talking of warcrimes.

My views have nothing to do with either side being Islamic or Jewish, but just despair at the humanitarian losses on all sides.

Criticism shouldn't make anyone antisemitic or islamiphobic.
What is the 'illegal killing' part of this based on?

Where you have terrorists/freedom fighters you will have a state that wants them negated.

The IRA & the British State fought an armed conflict and the majority that died were innocent civilians.
Both sides, eventually, found some common ground to stand on and the political process started to gain traction.
Sometime later we have a form of political agreement that has outweighed the choice to take up arms but that still remains a problem with extremist factions.

In Palestine you have Hamas who have vowed to "wipe out Israel" and Israel who have vowed to "wipe out Hamas".

Good luck finding the common ground in that one. And the civilians will pay the price.
So I happen to know a Knight of the Realm who was British Ambassador to a number of countries during quite an illustrious career. Back in the 60s when he first joined the Foreign Office as a bright, young thing - he in his innocence, said to his superior, 'we really ought to look to solve the Israeli issue' to which the reply was 'young man, that I'm afraid will never be resolved'.

Sadly, very true.

So there is no "official" Labour candidate, the Greens have withdrawn.

A big chunk of Muslim voters will swing to gorgeous George and SKS will haemorrhage their votes country wide.

Not sure who SKS will want sat in the Independent seats - his former candidate or a former team mate of his nemesis Corbyn?

Think it’s been widely acknowledged that there’s been war crimes carried out by the IDF and that an awful lot of civilians have been killed.
Has it? People have made claims but I'm not sure they've been proven in an official capacity?

Civilian casualties during a war isn't a war crime. Purposefully targeting civilians is, but even to that there are legal caveats. The legal definitions between civilian targets and military targets is where much of the contention lies.

Has it? People have made claims but I'm not sure they've been proven in an official capacity?

Civilian casualties during a war isn't a war crime. Purposefully targeting civilians is, but even to that there are legal caveats. The legal definitions between civilian targets and military targets is where much of the contention lies.

Amnesty International and the UN HRC say they have, but their views maybe different to those of the IDF.

Oh dear..........

Audio has now emerged that appears to show former Labour MP and GE candidate Graham Jones use the words “f****** Israel” at the same meeting that led to the withdrawal of support for Rochdale candidate Azhar Ali, while also allegedly suggesting that British people who volunteer to fight with the Israeli Defence Forces should be “locked up”.

He has been administratively suspended from the party pending investigation...... :)

Back
Top Bottom