National News Sir Keir Starmer

I guess that depends where you sit on the age spectrum and who you think are "youngsters". I mean coppers look about 12 these days. :ROFLMAO:

Oddly enough overall consumption has dropped marginally since 2000 from 11.8 ltrs to 9,7 according to Statista.

People in their late teens and twenties are youngsters to me.

That a more than marginal drop, around 17%. I would say the smoking ban is behind a change in lifestyle choices, cheap supermarket booze, a rise in the cost of living and more stuff to do in general when it comes to pubs closing, if you want to go to the pub for a pint unless you are a chain smoker its not that hard to step outside for a fag, it only put off those people who can't go more than five minutes without one, most of those people who stopped going to the pub who fit that description will be dead by now as well so its hardly an on going problem.

The Instagram generation are more image driven and have more expenses than I did when I was young and went to the pub every Friday and Saturday so won't have the money to do that. Pre drinking was more of a problem ten years ago, nightclubs have shut down in similar numbers to pubs so where would they be pre drinking to go to?

Ironically, the age group with the biggest alcohol problem are seemingly the 45-64 age range.

The very generation commonly bemoaning "the youth of today".

But it probably explains some of their political decision making over the last 15 years🤷‍♂️

People in their late teens and twenties are youngsters to me.

That a more than marginal drop, around 17%. I would say the smoking ban is behind a change in lifestyle choices, cheap supermarket booze, a rise in the cost of living and more stuff to do in general when it comes to pubs closing, if you want to go to the pub for a pint unless you are a chain smoker its not that hard to step outside for a fag, it only put off those people who can't go more than five minutes without one, most of those people who stopped going to the pub who fit that description will be dead by now as well so its hardly an on going problem.

The Instagram generation are more image driven and have more expenses than I did when I was young and went to the pub every Friday and Saturday so won't have the money to do that. Pre drinking was more of a problem ten years ago, nightclubs have shut down in similar numbers to pubs so where would they be pre drinking to go to?
As someone in that age range I think you're spot on with the image point. Vaping is hugely popular among my demographic because it's deemed 'cool' by many, just as smoking was years ago. Vapes are the modern cigarette.

In terms of drinking, the obvious point is cost. Going to the pub for an evening can cost you £50+ food & drinks included, even more if you're on spirits/cocktails etc. Even drinking at home is quite expensive now. Add that on top of the insane prices we're paying for everything else, a lot of young people choose to spend their money elsewhere.

The Good Friday Agreement is up there.

This is going to turn into a 'what have the Romans Labour ever done for us' thread.
Wasn't the whole Good Friday process started by the Tory government and then finished by Blair's Labour? I think both major parties can have some credit for getting this over the line.

Wasn't the whole Good Friday process started by the Tory government and then finished by Blair's Labour? I think both major parties can have some credit for getting this over the line.
Indeed, and it's a perfect example of what can be achieved through cooperation and a willingness to compromise to find a solution.

Far better and delivers far more tangible benefits than the doubling down divisive nonsense we see from the current shower of shysters.

I doubt it would have got across the line without Mo Mowlan. That seemed to be the consensus at the time.
Mo Mowlam undoubtably did some fantastic work.

I doubt it would have got across the line without Mo Mowlan. That seemed to be the consensus at the time.

Now there was someone with integrity.

Her only let down was that she was married to a city of London banker :) .

From the person who brought the whole alcohol point to the thread🤣

Well done, another squirrel successfully navigated😉
But tbf the Labour candidate is a t**t and if SKS can’t see that and he wins it will show the Labour Party that anti semitism nis still rife within the Labour Party

John Major even met with Sinn Fein along with Blair. I maybe wrong here but wasn’t it Blair who allowed all political prisoners of both main political rivals to be freed when those who had been charged and convicted of murder and terrorist offences and only been locked up for a year or less?

But tbf the Labour candidate is a t**t and if SKS can’t see that and he wins it will show the Labour Party that anti semitism nis still rife within the Labour Party
This is exactly where the hypocrisy of politics frustrates me and why I now struggle to find a willingness to vote.

Labour would be calling for his head if he was a Conservative candidate, yet Conservative would do what Labour are now doing and stand by him.

John Major even met with Sinn Fein along with Blair. I maybe wrong here but wasn’t it Blair who allowed all political prisoners of both main political rivals to be freed when those who had been charged and convicted of murder and terrorist offences and only been locked up for a year or less?
At some point you have end a war and take rough decisions for the process to end.

Whilst releasing people in those circumstances is a challenging process history will show that most of the killing ended.

At some point you have end a war and take rough decisions for the process to end.

Whilst releasing people in those circumstances is a challenging process history will show that most of the killing ended.
It did but I do feel for the victims of these offences and I am a bit surprised that no retribution which we know of never happened

It did but I do feel for the victims of these offences and I am a bit surprised that no retribution which we know of never happened
There was no retribution because people generally want to live in peace.
I’m really not sure what your point about Blair releasing them was? Could you explain?

There was no retribution because people generally want to live in peace.
I’m really not sure what your point about Blair releasing them was? Could you explain?
It was to get the food Friday deal signed whereas it was a stumbling block and please remember we lost a fare few soldiers over there ) and no we won’t go down the Bloody Sunday route as that is still an ongoing issue.
Remeber the British were asked to keep the peace and then people wanted to hurt them the very same who asked for our protection. Yes I know everything wasn’t perfect.

It was to get the food Friday deal signed whereas it was a stumbling block and please remember we lost a fare few soldiers over there ) and no we won’t go down the Bloody Sunday route as that is still an ongoing issue.
Remeber the British were asked to keep the peace and then people wanted to hurt them the very same who asked for our protection. Yes I know everything wasn’t perfect.
But it was a war. It was the British army against the IRA
The minute you realise this wasn't “the troubles” or a “special Military Operation” then you realise soldiers will die.

What other option was there? I still don’t get your point about Blair releasing political prisoners?

Back
Top Bottom