Transfer News Summer 2023 Transfer Window Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
If he’s going to have to take a 100k a year pay cut then giving up his remaining three years becomes very expensive. I believe there was an offer on the table in January but it couldn’t get worked out. He’s nearly 28 and just spent a season in and out of a L1 side that nearly got relegated, on the back of two years of barely kicking a ball in the MLS, so nobody is willing to pay a fee.

At which point he probably says “Well I’m down 300k if I leave so I want you to pay me half of that to walk”, to which someone like Tim Williams will go “I’m not spending £150,000 to give you away and then another £150,000 to replace you with someone else, so I would rather spend £250,000 on the wages to keep you for another year in the hope that you get desperate and agree to walk by next summer, because it’s cheaper.”

Williams might come across as a bit of an idiot who can’t manage people for toffee, but he will be right on top of the numbers.
Understand what your saying completely. But it seems bizzare that if TW is right on top of his numbers, how he allowed some of these ridiculously expensive contracts to be given out in the first place, knowing the situation this would leave the club in for a number of years to come.

It’s not like Findlay’s deal is the only one where we are seemingly paying over the odds for what we have actually got on the table. If he really understood this league, the club and his numbers he wouldn’t, or at least shouldn’t, have allowed us to get into this position in the first place, which is a huge concern.

Understand what your saying completely. But it seems bizzare that if TW is right on top of his numbers, how he allowed some of these ridiculously expensive contracts to be given out in the first place, knowing the situation this would leave the club in for a number of years to come.

It’s not like Findlay’s deal is the only one where we are seemingly paying over the odds for what we have actually got on the table. If he really understood this league, the club and his numbers he wouldn’t, or at least shouldn’t, have allowed us to get into this position in the first place, which is a huge concern.
Tbf he only became CEO in October so hasn't overseen any dodgy decisions in the transfer market tbf .

He’s on a lot of money with a long time left on his contract. I don’t think any SPL side outside of the Old Firm would pay him what he’s on here. He’s already cost us half a million pounds between his first year’s wages and the fee to Philadelphia.

Unless he’s willing to take a pay cut he’s going to want us to pay him the majority of the difference to go, which I can’t imagine Williams will tolerate given it looks like we’re already paying off Baldock and maybe even Seddon, at least partially in the case of the latter.

Similarly, unless someone offers to take on the bulk of Yanic’s wages, Williams is going to be pretty loathe to spend another penny moving him on, just to then spend even more cash replacing him afterwards.
Fair point. I suspect that if we get in a decent left back, then Findlay will be third choice left sided CB ( assuming that we play 4 at the back)
Maybe we will loan Findlay out and pay some of his salary?

If he’s going to have to take a 100k a year pay cut then giving up his remaining three years becomes very expensive. I believe there was an offer on the table in January but it couldn’t get worked out. He’s nearly 28 and just spent a season in and out of a L1 side that nearly got relegated, on the back of two years of barely kicking a ball in the MLS, so nobody is willing to pay a fee.

At which point he probably says “Well I’m down 300k if I leave so I want you to pay me half of that to walk”, to which someone like Tim Williams will go “I’m not spending £150,000 to give you away and then another £150,000 to replace you with someone else, so I would rather spend £250,000 on the wages to keep you for another year in the hope that you get desperate and agree to walk by next summer, because it’s cheaper.”

Williams might come across as a bit of an idiot who can’t manage people for toffee, but he will be right on top of the numbers.
I love the subtlety of this dig :)

I wouldn't be surprised if Swansea agreed to a season long loan but with a big loan fee to help offset some of what they paid Wigan for him.

If he has a good season then he'll either look ready to establish himself in their first team, or his value increases and they look to sell next year for a profit. If he has a poor season they have at least cut their losses of what they paid for him.

Tbf he only became CEO in October so hasn't overseen any dodgy decisions in the transfer market tbf .
Thanks that’s a fair point, I was thinking he’d been here about 12 months, must just seem that long after last season! Had totally forgotten he didn’t oversee any of last summers transfer dealings.

He’s only had one window as CEO, as he joined in October. In January we had a ‘one in, one out’ policy across the loan market.

The guy is Ed Woodward’s apprentice and is being paid a hefty wage to keep the club in check, in terms of spending and general operations. The one thing he will be good at is keeping things tight and making decisions on an Excel sheet. It won’t be what fans or even the manager always wants to hear, but it’s his job.

He’s only had one window as CEO, as he joined in October. In January we had a ‘one in, one out’ policy across the loan market.

The guy is Ed Woodward’s apprentice and is being paid a hefty wage to keep the club in check, in terms of spending and general operations. The one thing he will be good at is keeping things tight and making decisions on an Excel sheet. It won’t be what fans or even the manager always wants to hear, but it’s his job.
I think TW got off to a terrible start by buying into what KR told him. He seemed to be completely in awe of him and deferred to him on all football matters.
By the time he saw what we’d all been telling him was happening it was too late.
TW has a huge job on his hands to undo a lot of the mess KR wove into the club.

Any idea of the fee? I really want both Harris and Joseph, but i still feel like we need an out and out striker. Arguably both Harris and KJ are better from the wings

100%

Harris has never scored more than three goals in a league season. Joseph looked like he could finish at times last season, but I still maintain he was best running or chasing down the channels - his hold-up play was by far the weakest part of his game.

If we only have the budget for two more forwards (and unless we've found a taker for Yanic or Murphy, you have to believe that's the case) - I think you'd want to choose between Harris and Joseph, and then sign that out-and-out striker to complement everyone else (for the price Charlton reportedly paid, Alfie May would have been perfect, but hey ho).

Otherwise you're going into the new season the same way you finished the last - with a talented squad no doubt, but one in which the player who's scored a) the most career goals, and b) the most goals in a single season is Cameron Brannagan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom