Transfer News Summer 2023 Transfer Window Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m pretty certain it isn’t.

OM headline within the next 24 hours: ‘Manning Denies Marriott Rumours’

Cannot see the Marriott links being true. Very lazy player which is the polar opposite to what Manning seemingly wants in a striker.

A clinical finisher but there's a reason he's spending his prime years at Fleetwood Town. Interesting that people turned their head at the prospect of 29 year old Alfie May for 250k but are willing to part with 400k+ for 28 year old Marriott.
Marriott is a better Calibre of player than Alfie May, Marriott has scored goals at championship level, like a more mobile version of Matty Taylor. I wouldn’t pay more than 500k though.

Have heard a more experienced name (has been mentioned on here), but suspect we will have a loan (Davies?) and that will be it for strikers.

Marriott was the name I had heard, not sure how much it will take to get him out of Fleetwood and not sure if want to go higher than 400k (if that is the bid).

Last edited:
I’m pretty certain it isn’t.

OM headline within the next 24 hours: ‘Manning Denies Marriott Rumours’
Think there is something in the Marriott links, but I’d be pretty surprised if the numbers mentioned are accurate. 400k for a 28yo striker who has had some serious injury issues seems a bit cavalier, and I can’t think Fleetwood in their current state would turn it down.

Then you repackage it as 2x Yanic Wildchut’s and the whole thing is a bit more palatable.

Marriott is definitely a player that has been on the radar of the recruitment team for a number of windows.

I’m convinced that £400,000 would get him out of Fleetwood but I cannot imagine our opening gambit would be anything like as large that figure. I would not be surprised if there was a conversation being had between the clubs, based around our previous interest alone.

Personally, I think he’d be an excellent signing to compliment what we have already brought into the building. It would also push GOD further down the pecking order with a loan move becoming increasingly likely, as mentioned before. Subject to another loan striker also signing…

Do we realistically think we would bring in Marriott, Burey, and Mills? It does seem a little excessive unless we have forward outgoings (which I wouldn't be against unless its Goodrham).

Marriott is the sort of striker we need, I know people are saying he doesn't fit Manning's style of play but we won't always be able to play Manning's way. We need options to change the game.

Not sure where people are getting the idea from that Marriott is lazy. Works hard off the ball and presses effectively from the front. I don't think there is any doubting his suitability either on or off the ball, it's the injury concerns for a fee that size.

Marriott bid is not a very recent thing which makes you wonder why it has been leaked now.

Could be his agent looking to get him away and fuel interest considering there is still no clarity on their ownership/funding now that Andy Pilley has gone to prison.

400k feels a lot when Fleetwood 'only' spent 250k, on him in January.

Marriott bid is not a very recent thing which makes you wonder why it has been leaked now.

Could be his agent looking to get him away and fuel interest considering there is still no clarity on their ownership/funding now that Andy Pilley has gone to prison.

Still a bit puzzled by the ownership situation at Fleetwood. From the outside they look doomed as it appeared to be his passion project, and with him now in prison the ship looks rudderless and without financing.

This would lead me to think that: a. players might get itchy feet and want out, and b. that they might want to generate some cash through player sales.

£250k feels like a sensible fee to me.

Still expect our remaining signings to be loans though.

Yep completely agree with that. At a push we maybe offered what they paid for him in the new year window.

Wasn’t the Marriott bid in January? Seems like old regurgitated news.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom