Transfer News Summer 2023 Transfer Window Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Josh Murphy has played most of his career at left wing:

I also thought he was a left winger. Played there by KR as he preferred Browne centrally but then when LM came in, he initially tried putting them on different wings to accommodate a different 3 centrally.

Could well be wrong though. Memory is hazy. Last season thankfully seems light years away.

Assuming he's mentally right, I'd play Murphy over Browne for the benefit of some end product. Browne has the edge on the press but in final third he's so frustrating. Not a bad pairing to share that role, though.

Last edited:
My small contribution to the Murphy conversation is as follows. He showed enough at the end of last season to clearly demonstrate that he has tons of ability, and that when on form he's a massive asset at league one level. The question is only one of whether or not LM can get him into a place (physically, mentally - i'm uncertain) to put on those performances regularly. If LM can the we're in business. If not then we need to plan as if he's not an option.

I am concerned that he hasn;t featured in friendlies recently, having been very present in photos during the trip to spain, and in the early games. Not sure I have seen any specific detail about an injury which is a worry.

My small contribution to the Murphy conversation is as follows. He showed enough at the end of last season to clearly demonstrate that he has tons of ability, and that when on form he's a massive asset at league one level. The question is only one of whether or not LM can get him into a place (physically, mentally - i'm uncertain) to put on those performances regularly. If LM can the we're in business. If not then we need to plan as if he's not an option.

I am concerned that he hasn;t featured in friendlies recently, having been very present in photos during the trip to spain, and in the early games. Not sure I have seen any specific detail about an injury which is a worry.
He did pick up a knock.

Before I get crushed for being negative I'm just offering a possibility here, and I'm largely happy with our business.

Could the bid (if true) show we are getting a little bit panicked with how long it's taking us to secure a top striker before the season starts?
I agree with this, maybe not panic… but seems we’ve missed out on a couple targets for whatever reason (price, player, or other clubs) but this is normal… the hard part is that finding that type of striker now is getting harder and harder. When you look at the “Proven” players, and the price we are willing to spend… it’s a small list

I agree with this, maybe not panic… but seems we’ve missed out on a couple targets for whatever reason (price, player, or other clubs) but this is normal… the hard part is that finding that type of striker now is getting harder and harder. When you look at the “Proven” players, and the price we are willing to spend… it’s a small list
We can‘t say we’ve missed out on players unless Manning tells us. Also, until deadline day, we are still very much in the market.

I know everyone wants a proven out and out striker but I’d be very surprised if we got one. Harris will more than likely be our first choice this season

I know everyone wants a proven out and out striker but I’d be very surprised if we got one. Harris will more than likely be our first choice this season
Harris will be our number 9- that seems quite clear.
As others have said, Matt Taylor struggled to score in the Championship. Twine didn't score that regularly until MK under Manning.
So let's see how many Harris scores this season?

Harris will be our number 9- that seems quite clear.
As others have said, Matt Taylor struggled to score in the Championship. Twine didn't score that regularly until MK under Manning.
So let's see how many Harris scores this season?
Totally agree. More than happy to have Harris as our number 9 this season.

And what if he gets injured?

We need another out and out striker and we are actively shopping for one. I'm not sure why you would think we would settle for one striker in a potential 50 match season.
We will get in another striker but Harris will be our first choice. Probably should’ve worded it better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom