Transfer News Summer 2023 Transfer Window Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd be prepared to lose Brown. I like him but -a bit like Long - I feel there is better out there. Whether it's a four at the back, with him as left back, or in the unlikely scenario we deployed him as a wing back, we need to aspire to better. The calibre of Baldock (when he was with us) or Cadden are the quality we need. No problem at all with Brown in the squad but starting ? Not for me.
You'll get some pelters from some on here, but I agree on him being a strong squad player.

I'd rather he stays as he is a versatile, committed player, but if we recruit well I'd prefer him as a strong squad player rather than necessarily a guaranteed starter. Like Long, as you say.

This is nothing against Brown (or Long), as he's a major reason why we just about stayed up last season. But we must look to continually improve. And if he proves me wrong next season by being more than just a great squad player at Oxford, I'll be delighted.

Last edited:
I wouldn't. Brown was our player of the year. I think his reliability and commitment were excellent, and I would not want to lose these.
However, I would agree that he is not wing back, as he lacks the mobility and is not an exceptional crosser of the ball. This might lead to Brown and Thorniley contesting one place, but so be it. Both are better than Findlay, whom we should offload if we can - although I suspect this may not be easy.

I'd be prepared to lose Brown. I like him but -a bit like Long - I feel there is better out there. Whether it's a four at the back, with him as left back, or in the unlikely scenario we deployed him as a wing back, we need to aspire to better. The calibre of Baldock (when he was with us) or Cadden are the quality we need. No problem at all with Brown in the squad but starting ? Not for me.

You missed the third option - left side of a back 3.

You'll get some pelters from on some here, but I agree.

I'd rather he stays as he a versatile, committed player, but if we recruit well I'd prefer him as a strong squad player rather than necessarily a guaranteed starter.
If we play 3 at the back surely he is the obvious left sided centre back in a 3.

The trouble with these "pre-announcements" is I start to worry when they're not immediately announced officially. Wish they'd confirm Thorniley.

You missed the third option - left side of a back 3.
If we play 3 at the back surely he is the obvious left sided centre back in a 3.

If we get Thorniley, he'd be my first choice left-sided centre back in a two or a three.

But excellent competition between the two, so would love Brown to stay and fight for his place. He's a warrior, so I'm sure he'd relish the challenge even if he's not first-choice.

If we get Thorniley, he'd be my first choice left-sided centre back in a two or a three.

But excellent competition between the two, so would love Brown to stay and fight for his place. He's a warrior, so I'm sure he'd relish the challenge even if he's not first-choice.

It's been a long time since we had genuine competition for places. 2 for every position and all that.

Good news.

I’d rather of not signed thornliey I’d rather keep brown than him you get a left back and centre back someone who plays international football going to only get better weird signing

T
I’d rather of not signed thornliey I’d rather keep brown than him you get a left back and centre back someone who plays international football going to only get better weird signing
This doesn’t mean he’s gone for sure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom