Transfer News Summer 2023 Transfer Window Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get rid of Brown? The player who scooped the club awards? That one?

I'd suggest that there are spaces in the squad to fill and other players far nearer the top of the replacement list before anyone seriously considers doing that!
Nobody has suggested getting rid of Brown, simply that if we're looking to get promoted, we should be looking for an upgrade.

Brown is a versatile player, who can play CB, LB or on the left side of a back 3, and will provide excellent cover, competition and motivation for Thorniley and any potential LB we may bring in, but he played in an extremely poor side last season, and a shocking defence, and it's easy to overhype just how good he is, simply because he was the best of a bad bunch. He has a number of limitations, that we need to improve on.

The exact same applies to Long, an important player last season, but if we want to challenge for promotion this coming season, we need to be looking at upgrading in their positions, it's then up to them to improve their level, if they want to be first choice, it's called healthy competition for places, and it's what brings success.

All successful squads have genuine capable cover and competition for places, driving the first team players on and motivating them to keep performing, players like Solskjaer, Butt, Phil Neville, and John O'Shea at Man Utd for example, they were never going to be starters, but they were unsung heroes in a way, who played a major role in Man Utd's success throughout that era, always there to provide genuine cover and competition, and ready when called upon. It forced the first team to not let their levels drop, as they knew if they did, they'd be replaced in the starting lineup.

The season is long, and there will be injuries, suspensions, and losses of form, and without these types of players in your squad, first team players will lose their drive and motivation, and will become complacent, and their levels will drop, as we've seen in recent seasons, due to poorly built squads, lacking in depth of quality and competition, cover and fitness.

Brown and Long are massively important, versatile squad players, but if we want to push for promotion, in the starting lineup we need better.

Last edited:
Nobody has suggested getting rid of Brown, simply that if we're looking to get promoted, we should be looking for an upgrade.

Brown is a versatile player, who can play CB, LB or on the left side of a back 3, and will provide excellent cover, competition and motivation for Thorniley and any potential LB we may bring in, but he played in an extremely poor side last season, and a shocking defence, and it's easy to overhype just how good he is, simply because he was the best of a bad bunch. He has serious limitations, that we need to improve on.

The exact same applies to Long, an important player last season, but if we want to challenge for promotion this coming season, we need to be looking at upgrading in their positions, it's then up to them to improve their level, if they want to be first choice, it's called healthy competition for places, and it's what brings success.

All successful squads have genuine capable cover and competition for places, driving the first team players on and motivating them to keep performing, players like Solskjaer, Butt, Phil Neville, and John O'Shea at Man Utd for example, they were never going to be starters, but they were unsung heroes in a way, who played a major role in Man Utd's success throughout that era, always there to provide genuine cover and competition, and ready when called upon. It forced the first team to not let their levels drop.

The season is long, and there will be injuries, suspensions, and losses of form, and without these types of players in your squad, first team players will lose their drive and motivation, and will become complacent, and their levels will drop, as we've seen in recent seasons, due to poorly built squads, lacking in depth of quality and competition, and fitness.

Brown and Long are massively important, versatile squad players, but if we want to push for promotion, in the starting lineup we need better.

Accurate and a very good post. POTY for Oxford last season is an achievement of sorts but it’s no barometer as to what’s needed in a top six side. Would Brown get in to the promoted Plymouth, Ipswich or Sheffield Wednesday teams ? No he wouldn’t in my opinion. Would he make the starting line up in the three who missed out - Barnsley, Bolton or Peterborough ? Again, I’m not sure he would. He’s about right where he was last season, an average L1 side not good enough to mix it with the big boys. We do, indeed, need better players to get us to a side capable of mounting a promotion push.

Accurate and a very good post. POTY for Oxford last season is an achievement of sorts but it’s no barometer as to what’s needed in a top six side. Would Brown get in to the promoted Plymouth, Ipswich or Sheffield Wednesday teams ? No he wouldn’t in my opinion. Would he make the starting line up in the three who missed out - Barnsley, Bolton or Peterborough ? Again, I’m not sure he would. He’s about right where he was last season, an average L1 side not good enough to mix it with the big boys. We do, indeed, need better players to get us to a side capable of mounting a promotion push.
Should go tell manning to sell him then I’m sure if u put him transfer listed he’d get more offers than every player in our side

Do we think we will pay any fees for anyone?
Is it important that we pay some fees for players rather than just free or loans?

Does anyone know the chances of having Ruffels/Garbutt as the LWB pairing? Or even just what JR wants to do now he's been released?

Is it important that we pay some fees for players rather than just free or loans?
I would almost guarantee it (can't see how we wouldn't). Can see us buying someone like Eisa, Cumming or O'Hora

Would you be disappointed if we didn’t pay a fee?
Don’t think it matters how we get a decent player in just that they are the right fit for the club. I never understood why people get het up about players being loans or permanent, or too young or too old. For me a balanced squad needs pretty much all of those things.

10 players went out 2 very quickly have come in but not all players we get will go straight into the first team after all we need squad players too

Should go tell manning to sell him then I’m sure if u put him transfer listed he’d get more offers than every player in our side
I fear you're missing the point.

Brown is well liked and appreciated at the club, by fans and players alike, hence the recognition at the end of season awards for his efforts last season, but we can't stand still, we only just survived last season, and need to be looking to improve in EVERY position, particularly LB/LWB & RB/RWB, they were problem areas, that we struggled to create from last season, so naturally the limitations of Brown (and Long) will be called into question.

Nobody is writing Brown off, and who knows, Thorniley might struggle, and Brown might come in to replace him in the starting lineup, perform admirably, and keep his place for the rest of the season. That's the benefit of having quality in depth in the squad, there's always someone ready to take your spot.

Brown is extremely versatile and will be an important player for us next season, but we need better from the LB/LWB & RB/RWB positions next season, certainly from an attacking point of view, and if we manage to add some accomplished wingbacks, along with the arrival of Thorniley, it's not unrealistic to think that Brown (and Long) might find themselves playing the role of important squad player next season, rather than important starter.

• React
Reactions: MJB
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom