Transfer News Summer 2023 Transfer Window Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brannagan has scored 26 goals over the last two seasons. I accept he is on a very high wage, but that deal has been signed - it's not a new cost to the club. I would let him go for a ridiculous offer (talking £2m+), but I wouldn't accept anything in the region of £1m.

We need to find a system and way of playing that suits CB and I think he will be one of the best players in the league. I've been critical of him in the past, but we've often not utilised him effectively (playing him as a deep-lying midfielder or as a double pivot more recently). Give him the freedom to push forward and he will produce 15+ g/a per season.

He deserved neither another year or increased money.
He was under contract and it was in his contract he had to be paid the same as Brannagan. Rather than pay it over 1 season the club spread it out over 2. The club had no choice but to offer him a new deal (hence why it was done in August rather than May/June).

Can tell the bond between Joey and the fans was strong. Was at the Cambridge game (The Joey memorial one) and I was fighting tears myself, despite never seeing him play.
Hands down the most talented player to ever play for us.

Some of my favourite memories watching Oxford was watching Joey tear teams apart at the Manor, including Premier league teams in cup games, he was an unbelievably talented player, and way too good to have played at the level he did.

He genuinely could've and should've gone on to be a Premiership and England legend, but he simply didn't want to, he wanted to play for Oxford, and for that, those of us who saw him play week in week out should all be eternally grateful.

A proper OUFC legend, and one I don't think will ever be bettered.

I’ve got 10 pages to catch up on tonight
But first what game for tonight
St pats v bohemians
Shelbourne v Shamrock
Glentaron v Larne

Some decent lads in all those games

leaves us with plenty in the pot to spend on the right players, and I have every confidence that we'll see just how big our budget is in the next week or two.
Hope you’re right Scotch. In fairness tho the same thing was said by last season in August and Jan. Yet here we are 2 months into the latest window and still no decent left back, still no proper number 9, still no robust, strong, big athletic CDM. Even the right back cover hasn’t exactly made Long worry about his place in the side, albeit he may come good and it’s early days.

So despite lots of promises and speculation we still have not seen what we have desperately needed for many windows. That’s the bit I just struggle to comprehend in all the transfer talk about big money for fees being available and big money for wages. I totally get the doubters as much as I understand those who continually stay positive. But there has to be an issue somewhere as to why we haven’t properly recruited the 3 or 4 positions we’ve most needed for many many windows!

Excuses and talk are all fine but at some point we have to deliver, especially with the biggest budgets we’ve ever had at this level.

I’ve got 10 pages to catch up on tonight
But first what game for tonight
St pats v bohemians
Shelbourne v Shamrock
Glentaron v Larne

Some decent lads in all those games
Bonis has some pace and scores goals, has a little way to go to be alongside Lavery.
On the bench tonight but Craig Farquhar one to keep a eye out for

Making better use of the budget is not just about spending money. There wasn't a single poster (your Internet must have been down!) that was moaning about Rodrigues coming in on a free. Aside from you and your shiny happy posts, I'm yet to see anyone who isn't excited about Stan Mills despite him being on loan.

Swapping Findlay for Thorniley was seen as a good move for all parties (until a few rants after 2 games). Woltman is seen as a return to the development model that has worked so well for us recently, and arguably has a bigger ceiling than any of the gems we've unearthed before.

The use of our budget has been exceptional to date, and leaves us with plenty in the pot to spend on the right players, and I have every confidence that we'll see just how big our budget is in the next week or two.

But I suspect that we could spend millions and you'd still find something to moan about!
Still here? I thought your tracker and Stevie G's would have tracked clown down by now, would be praising him as you did as he was taking our club down with him.
I beg your pardon, I did notice the wonderful description of you by another poster a couple of nights ago, again due to your poisonous replies to a sensible discussion. It had been nice discussing things thinking you and mate stevie.g had left us and a normal forum had grown again.

Anyway, as well as your unnecessary personal attacks here, I see you've started your usual diatribe of "Mystical Egg" predictions....

"The use of our budget has been exceptional to date, and leaves us with plenty in the pot to spend on the right players, and I have every confidence that we'll see just how big our budget is in the next week or two."

That needs to be spot on, BUT, knowing how Betty and Edna, the tea ladies at the training ground, enjoy passing you duff information, before you publish it as ITK EXCLUSIVES ON HERE, things seem to be panning themselves out here as a typical summer transfer season.

Still here? I thought your tracker and Stevie G's would have tracked clown down by now, would be praising him as you did as he was taking our club down with him.
I beg your pardon, I did notice the wonderful description of you by another poster a couple of nights ago, again due to your poisonous replies to a sensible discussion. It had been nice discussing things thinking you and mate stevie.g had left us and a normal forum had grown again.

Anyway, as well as your unnecessary personal attacks here, I see you've started your usual diatribe of "Mystical Egg" predictions....

"The use of our budget has been exceptional to date, and leaves us with plenty in the pot to spend on the right players, and I have every confidence that we'll see just how big our budget is in the next week or two."

That needs to be spot on, BUT, knowing how Betty and Edna, the tea ladies at the training ground, enjoy passing you duff information, before you publish it as ITK EXCLUSIVES ON HERE, things seem to be panning themselves out here as a typical summer transfer season.
What?

Are you ok MY? You seem to have gone into full drama queen mode earlier than I expected.

What SE has said is correct, whether you choose to believe it or not is up to you but that is a very strange post even by your standards.

£3m for Cam would be a good deal, so not much Vs £25m the BC have just received. Then invest in 2 experienced strikers

What you have to remember when comparing players over different eras is what level they were playing at.
For instance how can you compare
James. Constable our all time leading goal scorer with Graham Atkinson or John Aldridge.
Most of Beano’s goals were in the conference, Atkinson in the second third and fourth tier and Aldridge the majority of his in the top two tiers
Any of the players who played in those two seasons at the top level have to be better players just because of the level they played at.
Thats not to say I haven't loved the likes of Roofe, Baldock, Mc Guire etc

What you have to remember when comparing players over different eras is what level they were playing at.
James. Constable our all time leading goal scorer with Graham Atkinson or John Aldridge.
Most of Beano’s goals were in the conference, Atkinson in the second third and fourth tier and Aldridge the majority of his in the top two tiers
Any of the players who played in those two seasons at the top level have to be better players just because of the level they played at.
Yes it’s impossible to say who was ‘best’ , what does it even mean? But the standards across the different leagues have changed, Matt Murphy scored goals in the second tier and I don’t think he would now, for instance.

Yes it’s impossible to say who was ‘best’ , what does it even mean? But the standards across the different leagues have changed, Matt Murphy scored goals in the second tier and I don’t think he would now, for instance.

He's 52 next week so I think it's fair to say he'd struggle in the Championship!!

Exactly. You’ll get some philistines claiming that Roofe is a better player than, say, Steve Anthrobus.

Yes Roofe scored more, but that was in League 2.

Tha Bus knocked in three goals for fun across two seasons in the Championship.

John Aldridge was the greatest striker we have ever had by a country mile and if we could get another player like him even half as good we would be blessed
Billy Hamilton was not far behind. He was a club hero, and yet he only played two-thirds of a season due to injury. What would we be saying about him if his knees had not gone? He and Aldridge were virtually unstoppable as a pairing - I doubt we will see such a special pair ever again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom