Transfer News Summer 2023 Transfer Window Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really good point mentioned on Twitter...

Brannagan has JUST set up his academy with Easty.

Not sure it would be the only reason to stay, but it may be a contributing factor.

He would have known there would be some interest/rumours/conversations about a move, yet still felt settled enough to start a business in the area.

Jenson weir has joined blackpool. That’s him out the window. Do really think we need another midfielder even if Cam stays. Mceachran ain’t gonna play every game. Mcguane is too negative. Really hope we sign a strong CDM so we can see the likes of CB JM MM push further up the pitch

Really good point mentioned on Twitter...

Brannagan has JUST set up his academy with Easty.

Not sure it would be the only reason to stay, but it may be a contributing factor.

He would have known there would be some interest/rumours/conversations about a move, yet still felt settled enough to start a business in the area.
A move to Bristol wouldn’t be much of an obstacle to that though. It’s only 90 minutes away.

Beauchamp was a good player and rightfully a bit of a hero but I think some of the players from the mid 80s are better. Definitely Houghton and even Kevin Brock who was bit underrated but won the Euro u21 championship as a third division player.

If Joey had the desire and had focused on playing for a top flight team rather than playing for his local team*, imo, he'd have become a regular for England.

*This isn't a criticism as it meant we all got to watch him for most of his career.

Is genuine Kentucky fried chicken the best?

I've actually been to the original KFC restaurant - it's in Corbin, KY, which is seriously middle of nowhere, but we were on a roadtrip.

It was pretty mediocre. Personally, I'd prefer a Zinger Tower at the one in Cornmarket (if it's still there, and they still sell those!)

Taking the P**s or is that true?? 😱😱😱
It’s true but Henry got a deal that spread his wage increase over 2 years rather than 1 when Cam signed his new deal last summer. Hence why Henry signed for 2 years rather than just get a 1 year extension.

Beauchamp was a good player and rightfully a bit of a hero but I think some of the players from the mid 80s are better. Definitely Houghton and even Kevin Brock who was bit underrated but won the Euro u21 championship as a third division player.

Probably a controversial opinion, but I think that Joey was actually only our second best player of the 90s.

He was amazing, don't get me wrong. But Matt Elliott was an utter colossus of a central defender and in my view even more important to that great mid-90s side. Outstanding in the air, positionally sound, great leadership, deceptively good passer and a hell of a shot on him.

But then again, I'm always going to pick the nails centre back over the fancy-dan winger.

Probably a controversial opinion, but I think that Joey was actually only our second best player of the 90s.

He was amazing, don't get me wrong. But Matt Elliott was an utter colossus of a central defender and in my view even more important to that great mid-90s side. Outstanding in the air, positionally sound, great leadership, deceptively good passer and a hell of a shot on him.

But then again, I'm always going to pick the nails centre back over the fancy-dan winger.
You might be right but I don’t really know how you can decide whether a winger or a centre half is ‘better’. Elliott was certainly awesome. There were probably better players in the 80s but a bit before my time, though I did see them.

no new players , loanees or permanent signings then- despite what LM said a few days ago
Let’s not start jumping on every little word Manning says.

Transfers don’t go smoothly all the time and can take a lot of time to do. Giving time scales is a dangerous game for managers as things can change in an instant.

It’s the same when people say things about prioritising positions over others, clubs don’t just talk to one player at a time and then move on. They are usually talking to a lot of players at the same time.

Look at the Brighton and Liverpool transfer. Brighton accept £111 million offer from Liverpool but the player has said he will only go to Chelsea who haven’t matched the bid.

On CB - I've said this before every time rumours of us selling him crop up.......

But last summer, and the summer before, he had a one million quid release fee and the only side to trigger it was Blackpool.

If noone else was willing to pay a million for him when he was a 26/27 year old scoring 14 goals in a League One season and helping us contend - why would they be willing to fork that out now for a player that's a year older and who has been bang out of form for a long while? To me it feels like right now he's a £500-750k player.

I'd still probably sell him for that, mind, because we're not getting enough out of him, and we could bring in three new players for his wages.

(unless of course Bristol City have completely lost track of the value of players after getting £25m for a 19 year old kid who's never played above the Championship. Not sure you could blame them.....transfer values are utterly nuts now at Premier League level)

The body language of Brannagan has been awful for ages now
His body language has been a player desperate to generate success for himself and the club. Consequently, he sometimes tries too hard and gets frustrated when it doesn't come together for himself and/or the team. Absolute pro throughout his time here, and whether he stays or goes, already he has given everything a football fan could ask for at this club. Whatever happens, Brannagan, you're a top man and a top footballer in my book.

It’s true but Henry got a deal that spread his wage increase over 2 years rather than 1 when Cam signed his new deal last summer. Hence why Henry signed for 2 years rather than just get a 1 year extension.
He deserved neither another year or increased money.

Won’t clog up this thread with non transfer window questions but I just wanna know how good was Joey? Was practically idolised by my uncle and the one player I wish I was around to see.
With Joey it wasnt just that he was so skilled in so many depts, but he was Oxford through and through, a cliche I know. But he went to West Ham, knowing his transfer would go a long way to save the club, when East London would not have been his first choice to play football
He got homesick and came home, after a spell at swindon.
The difference was he had so much time for fans, nothing was too much.
Then there were the goals, and the on field runs, the way he could read a game
Even after retirement, on social media, at the dogs, he was still there, just a normal bloke.
The hat song, he's one of our own maybe came a little late for Joey, but for me of all the great sides of the 1980's and 1990's no one could hold a candle to him.

Let’s not start jumping on every little word Manning says.

Transfers don’t go smoothly all the time and can take a lot of time to do. Giving time scales is a dangerous game for managers as things can change in an instant.

It’s the same when people say things about prioritising positions over others, clubs don’t just talk to one player at a time and then move on. They are usually talking to a lot of players at the same time.

Look at the Brighton and Liverpool transfer. Brighton accept £111 million offer from Liverpool but the player has said he will only go to Chelsea who haven’t matched the bid.
Everyone should read this post. And take note before panicking, again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom