Transfer News Summer Transfer Window 23/24 Build up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wages could be a huge issue this Summer with recruitment, the club's decision to go massive on wages last Summer means we are more likely to have to overspend on wages this year as well. We are looking for replacements for some of our top earners who have proved to be well below average pound for pound but still in contract with us. Why would a player want to come to us and be offered a lot lower than what the player they are replacing is paid to sit on the bench. It could be a very difficult negotiation now for the club and I would say that they are probably in quite a weak position. Wages are important at this level of football and can be quite a divisive point within a squad if it is not seen to be fair. For the first season in ages we don't have a player of any significant note to sell to cover the losses. Unless we finally cash in on Brannagan or someone takes a chance on O'Donkor with a silly offer the club losses are only getting bigger, and the wages strategy is making this worse. It's going to be so difficult to row back on the wages now.

Fairness is all well and good, but the Salary Cost Management Protocol is in effect, meaning we are only permitted to spend 60% of football income on wages - and that includes any player that we pay off, and any player who's wages we subsidise to loan elsewhere.

If we bring in half a dozen players over the summer and pay them what we pay Brannagan and Murphy, then it will be a very quiet January because we'll have been slapped with a good ol' transfer embargo!

Unless Manning is a magician and can somehow get the likes of Wildschut, Baldock and Findlay off our wage bill without paying up their deals, then he's going to be restricted in how much he can spend in terms of wages on new recruits. Going to have to be creative this summer......

Because one you'd be paying a sum for Joseph in order to lead the line most weeks, whereas Taylor would only be expected to contribute from the bench.

That's a financial argument, not a footballing one. And predicated on the notion than you can get Taylor to sign a team-friendly deal (which I doubt he'll do until he and his agent have explored all his other options).

That's a financial argument, not a footballing one. And predicated on the notion than you can get Taylor to sign a team-friendly deal (which I doubt he'll do until he and his agent have explored all his other options).
I beg to differ, it's both, Joseph should only be kept on if he doesn't cost the earth, ideally he'd then be a second striker to someone like Hardie who will get you the goals you need.

Let's not forget that it's still up in the air as to whether Joseph is better as an inside forward on one of the wings or up top.

I beg to differ, it's both, Joseph should only be kept on if he doesn't cost the earth, ideally he'd then be a second striker to someone like Hardie who will get you the goals you need.

Let's not forget that it's still up in the air as to whether Joseph is better as an inside forward on one of the wings or up top.

Personally, I don't think it's up in the air at all - I think he's 100% an inside forward. It's what fits his skill set (work rate, movement, decent pace, decent strength) and mitigates his weaknesses (sometimes spotty finishing, and the touch of a trampoline). He was only starting up top at season's end because we didn't have a single striker in the squad that LM trusted one iota.

Purely based on what they would bring to the squad in footballing terms, I would rather have the 2023/24 version of Kyle Joseph than Matty Taylor.

The only reason to go the opposite route is financial - because we think Joseph will be too expensive/not value-for-money, and because we think at this stage of his career, Matty Taylor might come cheap (though I have my doubts on the latter.....I suspect someone will roll the dice on him having one more quality season left)

If we keep the 14 senior contracted players that leaves 8 slots for new outfield signings, more if players move on naturally (sold, retire), without having to pay anyone off.

That should be plenty to mould a balanced squad around the system(s) the manager wants to play without breaking the bank and without causing so much upheaval by bringing in too many that we take until Christmas before we settle.

One of the easier retained lists Manning will ever issue. Jones probably shudders at the sight of our badge now anyway. Anderson was the only debatable one but more so in our eyes than Manning’s who never really used him so pretty academic in the end.

More interested in what’s transfer listed and what the ‘unwanted’ list looks like.

I'd like Alfie May and Stockton up front next season with Gavin Whyte on one wing
And Marcus Browne on the other wing then finally I could see GOALS!

Fairness is all well and good, but the Salary Cost Management Protocol is in effect, meaning we are only permitted to spend 60% of football income on wages - and that includes any player that we pay off, and any player who's wages we subsidise to loan elsewhere.

If we bring in half a dozen players over the summer and pay them what we pay Brannagan and Murphy, then it will be a very quiet January because we'll have been slapped with a good ol' transfer embargo!

Unless Manning is a magician and can somehow get the likes of Wildschut, Baldock and Findlay off our wage bill without paying up their deals, then he's going to be restricted in how much he can spend in terms of wages on new recruits. Going to have to be creative this summer......
All the more reason to get someone in who is capable of such miracles with a few contacts to give yourself the best possible chance of moving in the transfer market. A proper negotiator. I continue to think we lack someone in this space and we’re ill-equipped so can’t really have any complaints. Getting the right players in is important but sometimes you will get it wrong and you need someone who can address that and negotiate an offload.

I expect quite a bit this summer and I don’t think preparing for disappointment is the right attitude for us as fans. A top 6 budget with a few puffy contracts taking the cream off the top is still a very competitive budget, especially when you have about 10 unfilled vacancies in the squad and a couple of them on pay as you play and early pro deals. There should be room to move there already and we’ve already got rid of one big earner and sending home some very pricey loan players. We have money unspent from January which we were told was available which will presumably still be there and should be able to raise a few quid from some of the more saleable players - that’s all before the owners weigh in (if they want to). We should still be competitive.

I don’t like the idea that we should temper expectations and feel that needs balancing out - I may be going a bit extreme here in order to do so. The club has a great following and good resource from supportive owners with accountants running the place - they should be in their element now. I’d rather we didn’t make excuses for them and keep the level of expectation up. It’s a bit of a mess, but it’s fixable if we’re proactive and creative enough.

I expect us to do well with this window and come out with a very decent L1 side, even if we don’t manage everything.

Last edited:
Interesting that Taylor is not included on that list.

Seemed to have potential earlier in his career but released by Grimsby is a worry .
Think we will be aiming for better, well I'd hope so .
It's where the term 'released' is a bit frustrating with these lists.

Emmanuel had made it clear to Grimsby that he wouldn't be re-signing as wanting to climb back into L1.
Joined Grimsby in January to prove match fitness after missing a lot of football due to a blood clot, played 17 games.

You mean you don't believe this twitter expert? (Honestly where do people get this nonsense?)

Horrendous attempt
Though to be fair, some of that accounts tweets make it clear they're taking the p!ss

"JUST IN: Plymouth Argyle have made out-of-favour Tottenham full-back, Djed Spence, their number one target for the summer window. The Pilgrims are willing to fork out the £7.5m loan fee. Spence owns a holiday home near the city and is keen to move to the area."

Last edited:
It's where the term 'released' is a bit frustrating with these lists.

Emmanuel had made it clear to Grimsby that he wouldn't be re-signing as wanting to climb back into L1.
Joined Grimsby in January to prove match fitness after missing a lot of football due to a blood clot, played 17 games.
I imagine Cole Stockton is the same, wanted a chance to find a new club and refused to sign a new contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom