Matches The League 1 Promotion Run In

Basically from now on we have to hope that the teams above us win every game, and beat the ones around us. The top four can’t overhaul us

…and failed to beat Cheltenham, twice.

The counter argument is of the teams from 3rd to 7th - Our record is Won 3, Drawn 1, Lost 1. Last season we could barely get a point against the top teams, this year we have generally held our own.

If we'd won the "easier" games then we'd be comfortably in the automatic places but football doesn't work out quite as simply as that.

It’s looking like four teams fighting it out for two places.

Fair play to Plymouth 6 wins and 6 clean sheets.
There a good bunch down there, and always like a chat pre match in the boozer.

Sheffield Wednesday and Wycombe have the easiest run ins, and we have the worst out of the four teams. 80 points might not be enough. Crazy, but just shows that the gap is getting wider from the top half of Lge 1 to the bottom half.

It’s looking like four teams fighting it out for two places.

Fair play to Plymouth 6 wins and 6 clean sheets.
There a good bunch down there, and always like a chat pre match in the boozer.

Sheffield Wednesday and Wycombe have the easiest run ins, and we have the worst out of the four teams. 80 points might not be enough. Crazy, but just shows that the gap is getting wider from the top half of Lge 1 to the bottom half.
Not sure that is true.
If we won at Plymouth ( I know it's a big 'if'), then we would be 2 points behind then and they have an awful run in.

Not sure that is true.
If we won at Plymouth ( I know it's a big 'if'), then we would be 2 points behind then and they have an awful run in.
And if we lose at Plymouth we’ll be 8 points behind them… a lot to make up.

Quick update post Plymouth v Cheltenham:

1648028417333.png

Not sure how useful it is having the stuff around getting to 75 points is given how ridiculous this season is and how it's looking like anything below 80 may not even be enough. What's the best approach - change it to track the same but for 80 points or just remove it all? Any other stats worth tracking instead? I was so certain 75 would be enough because for the last decade it has been, goes to show just how tough the league is this season and how well we've done to be up there almost the entire time.

Only one thing to note after last night:

- Plymouth look good. Really good. They're now just 0.05 ppg lower than MK Dons, albeit with double the number of games against top 10 opposition still to play. 3 of those games are at home, and I can see them picking up at least one win in those three (hopefully against Sunderland), and another against Burton, so 80 points looks almost done and dusted for Plymouth if they just keep it up. A point away against them would be an excellent point for us, and let's hope they beat Sunderland and Wycombe for us too.

And there, in two posts, is a cup half full versus a cup half empty!
Not at all.

I personally think we’ll draw at Plymouth, so not sure what that makes me!

I was just making the point that while it sounds good that we could only be two points behind them, all it would take is a dodgy refereeing decision or one mistake and suddenly we could be 8 points behind them, which sounds huge at this stage.

Not at all.

I personally think we’ll draw at Plymouth, so not sure what that makes me!

I was just making the point that while it sounds good that we could only be two points behind them, all it would take is a dodgy refereeing decision or one mistake and suddenly we could be 8 points behind them, which sounds huge at this stage.
It doesn't matter whether we are a long way behind Plymouth - what matters is staying ahead of the teams below us.

While it's annoying Plymouth didn't drop points tonight, Cheltenham at home is a game you would have expected them to win. It comes at the end of a run of fixtures which included Morecambe, Wombles and Stanley at home. It shouldn't really come as a surprise that their form looks good. Their run-in is obscene. Their only 'easy' (ie team not already on 60 points) game left in their last seven games is Burton away - hardly a walk in the park.

Plymouth are undeniably a good side, but there is possibly at least a whiff of them being in a false position. Pompey at home a couple weeks back was a solid win, but their last (on paper) 'difficult' fixture was Rotherham at home, which they lost (coming after a loss at Cambridge, by the way). That was the only time they've played a team currently in the top 9 since 15 January. Hell, looking at it, the last time they beat a team currently in the top 9 in the league was Ipswich at home in October! This League One year has seen a weirdly emphatic gap between the top clubs and the bottom clubs, with the top clubs regularly seeing off those in the bottom half. So it's perhaps unsurprising Argyle have picked up so many points given their schedule has basically seen them playing the league's cannon fodder for two months.
Damned with faint praise then :)

I think that means our home record is now the equal best in the division alongside Rotherham......

We despatched Wendies and Bolton 3-0 each....

in terms of beating/losing to sides around us we lost narrowly to Wigan and Rotherham at home, heavily to Wycombe and bix=zarrely to Lincoln. Wigan and Lincoln to last minute/injury time goals.

Drew at MK, lost narrowly at Sunderland beat Oxford (ahem) and Bolton.

Drew at Pompey ( 95th minute equaliser by them)

Our bad defeats we home to WW and away to SW, and maybe Cambridge (0-2, played badly) everywhere else even in defeat we were competitive.

So the reality is we play each side home and away...it just so happens we appear to have saved the besttill last....thanks EFL....

But would you rather be playing us or Portsmouth/Bolton/Rotherham next week?

I think what this run has done, and it is historic in we have never won six in a row with clean sheets before I believe it has bought us the space that a defeat or even two won't be fatal to our playoffs hopes and if we can continue it then we might well stage an unlikely tilt at the autos.

Personally I think that's still a very long shot and once Rotherham have their Wembley distraction out of the way they will pick up again....

Based on last nights performance which was settled by two great finishes as the only real difference between the teams I have a sneaking hope that Cheltenham might do you a favour at the weekend.

Fingers crossed.

I’m starting to think that maybe we’d of been better off playing the Morecambe game this weekend.

We did alright at Shrewsbury with a depleted team, and the same can be said for the home games earlier in the season against Fleetwood and Rotherham.

I’m starting to think that maybe we’d of been better off playing the Morecambe game this weekend.

We did alright at Shrewsbury with a depleted team, and the same can be said for the home games earlier in the season against Fleetwood and Rotherham.
The break should give our players time to recharge their batteries though, and some of the injured might be that bit closer to coming back?

The Plymouth current form is quite remarkable at the moment and their current league position is fully deserved.
However looking at the highlights from last night and I know highlights are not necessarily a true reflection of the whole game. I would have to say Cheltenham were a little unlucky to leave with nothing. The first goal was a deflection and the second had more than a hint of handball about it, added to the fact that The Plymouth goalie made a couple of very good saves and Cheltenham had a goal disallowed (probably correctly).
It was noticeable that Plymouth play a similar open game to ourselves and I would think that the recent clean sheet stat is probably a bit of a surprise.

I wouldn’t disagree with this analysis. Cheltenham were decent and although we missed an absolute sitter it was tight until the second goal went in.

The clean sheet thing is interesting as in every gAme there have been near misses. But it isn’t a coincidence. We brought in a complete new back three with two new centre backs in reserve. They have a settled system so even two injuries have been accommodated Indeed the arrival of Bolton for Scarr has improved our stats. And Scarr was widely considered our best new signing.

Houggton also screens well so we don’t have lots of clear attempts against us and Cooper is an excellent keeper and improving. Much better on crosses than when he began for example.

I fully expect to concede v Ipswich. But it would not be a shock if we don’t. We are very comfortable in possession and happy to build pressure l think we went long too much yesterday but that was to exploit our pace against their back three and it opened them up twice in the second half forcing good saves

I expect Cheltenham to give the wendies a few problems.

I wouldn’t disagree with this analysis. Cheltenham were decent and although we missed an absolute sitter it was tight until the second goal went in.

The clean sheet thing is interesting as in every gAme there have been near misses. But it isn’t a coincidence. We brought in a complete new back three with two new centre backs in reserve. They have a settled system so even two injuries have been accommodated Indeed the arrival of Bolton for Scarr has improved our stats. And Scarr was widely considered our best new signing.

Houggton also screens well so we don’t have lots of clear attempts against us and Cooper is an excellent keeper and improving. Much better on crosses than when he began for example.

I fully expect to concede v Ipswich. But it would not be a shock if we don’t. We are very comfortable in possession and happy to build pressure l think we went long too much yesterday but that was to exploit our pace against their back three and it opened them up twice in the second half forcing good saves

I expect Cheltenham to give the wendies a few problems.

Fair play to you lot down there. Miles away from anywhere, and must be difficult to attract the best players, yet still manage to churn out wins, and get yourselves up the table. I think hiring Schumacher, was a great decision keeps the continuity going, and the players knew him.

I actually hope we both meet in the playoff final. Just to pee on Sunderland, Sheffield Weds bonfire.

Good luck to you lot. I have a lot of time for Argyle fans.

Back
Top Bottom