Matches The League 1 Promotion Run In

I fully expect to concede v Ipswich. But it would not be a shock if we don’t. We are very comfortable in possession and happy to build pressure l think we went long too much yesterday but that was to exploit our pace against their back three and it opened them up twice in the second half forcing good saves

I don't know - Ipswich were very solid in midfield and at the back on Saturday, but barely created anything up front until we gifted them a 3-on-1.

If you've someone to keep Wes Burns quiet, then another clean sheet could definitely be on the cards. Scoring against that lot seems to be the trickier part......

Damned with faint praise then :)

I think that means our home record is now the equal best in the division alongside Rotherham......

We despatched Wendies and Bolton 3-0 each....

in terms of beating/losing to sides around us we lost narrowly to Wigan and Rotherham at home, heavily to Wycombe and bix=zarrely to Lincoln. Wigan and Lincoln to last minute/injury time goals.

Drew at MK, lost narrowly at Sunderland beat Oxford (ahem) and Bolton.

Drew at Pompey ( 95th minute equaliser by them)

Our bad defeats we home to WW and away to SW, and maybe Cambridge (0-2, played badly) everywhere else even in defeat we were competitive.

So the reality is we play each side home and away...it just so happens we appear to have saved the besttill last....thanks EFL....

But would you rather be playing us or Portsmouth/Bolton/Rotherham next week?

I think what this run has done, and it is historic in we have never won six in a row with clean sheets before I believe it has bought us the space that a defeat or even two won't be fatal to our playoffs hopes and if we can continue it then we might well stage an unlikely tilt at the autos.

Personally I think that's still a very long shot and once Rotherham have their Wembley distraction out of the way they will pick up again....

Based on last nights performance which was settled by two great finishes as the only real difference between the teams I have a sneaking hope that Cheltenham might do you a favour at the weekend.

Fingers crossed.
Not having a go at all! Been very complimentary to Plymouth in this thread, really hope you make playoffs over your Sunderland’s and your Wycombes. Just do think that record against top teams over the last few months isn’t great, and the run in for you is all against those teams. Mirrors us in many ways - bar a few exceptions, we generally seem to see off the lower sides and struggle/get poorer results against the best. That’s what sets the Wigans, Millers and MKs apart at the moment for me.

I wouldn’t disagree with this analysis. Cheltenham were decent and although we missed an absolute sitter it was tight until the second goal went in.

The clean sheet thing is interesting as in every gAme there have been near misses. But it isn’t a coincidence. We brought in a complete new back three with two new centre backs in reserve. They have a settled system so even two injuries have been accommodated Indeed the arrival of Bolton for Scarr has improved our stats. And Scarr was widely considered our best new signing.

Houggton also screens well so we don’t have lots of clear attempts against us and Cooper is an excellent keeper and improving. Much better on crosses than when he began for example.

I fully expect to concede v Ipswich. But it would not be a shock if we don’t. We are very comfortable in possession and happy to build pressure l think we went long too much yesterday but that was to exploit our pace against their back three and it opened them up twice in the second half forcing good saves

I expect Cheltenham to give the wendies a few problems.

3 Centre backs with a further 2 in reserve?!

Surely that's against the rules!

• React
Reactions: MJB
3 Centre backs with a further 2 in reserve?!

Surely that's against the rules!
Explains why we couldn't get one though, Plymouth have gone all panic buy and hoarded Centre Backs with the toilet rolls. Bet they've even got more than zero left backs as well.

Not having a go at all! Been very complimentary to Plymouth in this thread, really hope you make playoffs over your Sunderland’s and your Wycombes. Just do think that record against top teams over the last few months isn’t great, and the run in for you is all against those teams. Mirrors us in many ways - bar a few exceptions, we generally seem to see off the lower sides and struggle/get poorer results against the best. That’s what sets the Wigans, Millers and MKs apart at the moment for me.
It could have been better that’s true but only one game were we comprehensively outplayed. Sadly it was WW. Most of the other defeats were the odd goal and often late on.

Still we do have. A chance to improve the record on Saturday week 😇

Explains why we couldn't get one though, Plymouth have gone all panic buy and hoarded Centre Backs with the toilet rolls. Bet they've even got more than zero left backs as well.
They way we defended last season panic buying was the only way to go.

And we currently have three left wing backs Although Sessengnon can also play right side

Definitely looking at 80+ now with Plymouth going so well lately. Which on the face of it seems insane, but I don’t remember a League One with half a dozen sides getting 15k at every game so maybe not such a surprise that the division is becoming so split.

11 or 12 points would hopefully be enough. 3 wins and 2/3 draws out of 7 games. Would suggest a minimum of 7 from Morecambe, Fleetwood and Doncaster needed.

So tomorrow the games of interest are Ipswich v Plymouth and Sheff Weds v Cheltenham. I guess we are almost wanting Ipswich to win that one and obvs Sheff to drop points, however unlikely that would seem.

I would say it would be better for Ipswich to lose so there is one less team to chasing for playoffs.

I would say it would be better for Ipswich to lose so there is one less team to chasing for playoffs.
I guess you could look at it that way. If Ipswich won they would still be 5 points behind us, having played a game more. If Plymouth win they will be 8 ahead of us having played a game more. I'm still optimistic we can finish 4th at least. Maybe a draw would be best all round :):)

@Jolteon, maybe time to update the sheet to reflect a new target of 80 instead of 75? Looking at the required PPG for teams to reach 75, think it will be reached by most of the contenders...

Great work on this BTW, thanks for keeping it up to date.

@Jolteon, maybe time to update the sheet to reflect a new target of 80 instead of 75? Looking at the required PPG for teams to reach 75, think it will be reached by most of the contenders...

Great work on this BTW, thanks for keeping it up to date.
That was my thinking too - I'll do it when I update after this weekend's fixtures.

After being so adamant that 75 was the target, I honestly wouldn't be shocked now if 80 still wasn't enough. It only hasn't been once in the last 18+ years (09/10 - 82 points required), and that year was STILL less competitive than this year with 9th place only hitting 62 points - the current top 8 have all well surpassed that, and 9th-11th aren't far off and still have 7 games to play. This season is a real anomaly in League 1 history and to be up there well in the battle is seriously impressive from us.

Plymouth loosing 1-0 at Ipswich
Sheffield drawing 1-1 with Cheltenham.

Shame its only half time. Can't see it being like that at full time.

Back
Top Bottom