Matches The League 1 Promotion Run In

I'm repeating a point that I've made on here a few times before......

.......but although I do want to get promoted, because it will be fun (as well as financially lucrative) to test ourselves at Championship level......

......does anyone think that the Championship will actually be as fun as this?
Best case scenario is we go up and do a Blackpool, and have a boring midtable finish.
Worst case scenario is we go up and do a Peterborough, lose two thirds of our games and come straight back down.

But in League One, we're getting to enjoy a nine-way brawl for promotion with an array of teams ranging from the big & arrogant to the small & annoying. Goals galore. Big crowds at home, some massive grounds and crowds on our travels. And then the fact that there are also some really, really bad teams also adds to the enjoyment - who doesn't love sprinkling the odd 6-0 or 7-2 into the mix?

Obviously we all want the arrow to keep pointing up for OUFC.
But we should also take some time out to stop and smell the roses from time to time. League One is an awesome league, and this is arguably its greatest ever season, and we're slap bang in the middle of the drama!
For me absolutely yes you grab the Championship with two hands and give it a go.

Firstly, the money from playing even one season there would set us up for an immediate return the year after should we drop out.

Secondly; you can’t turn down opportunities to gain promotion because it may be ages before you get another opportunity through no fault of your own.

We’ve built a squad capable of finishing in the play offs and I think much stronger than we have been before with more guile about us that is required for success.

That said I will not be overly upset with another season in League 1. We’re playing exciting football with exciting times off the pitch also.

For me absolutely yes you grab the Championship with two hands and give it a go.

Firstly, the money from playing even one season there would set us up for an immediate return the year after should we drop out.

Secondly; you can’t turn down opportunities to gain promotion because it may be ages before you get another opportunity through no fault of your own.

We’ve built a squad capable of finishing in the play offs and I think much stronger than we have been before with more guile about us that is required for success.

That said I will not be overly upset with another season in League 1. We’re playing exciting football with exciting times off the pitch also.
To be fair, I don’t think tonyw is suggesting it wouldn’t be a good thing to go up; he just made a very valid point about what an exciting season we are having. I think he’s absolutely correct in wondering if the Championship would actually be more FUN.

Your first point is really important! If we hadn't won that playoff final against you lot in 2020 then there is no way we'd be in a position to be fighting at the top end of League One right now. Instead, we'd probably be down with the likes of Lincoln, Shrewsbury and Cambridge, where we were before that crazy season. Promotion really sets up a team for years to come, even if you get sent straight back down

Your first point is really important! If we hadn't won that playoff final against you lot in 2020 then there is no way we'd be in a position to be fighting at the top end of League One right now. Instead, we'd probably be down with the likes of Lincoln, Shrewsbury and Cambridge, where we were before that crazy season. Promotion really sets up a team for years to come, even if you get sent straight back down
Which leads to the question, how damaging for Wycombe will it be should they miss out this time? Will the advantage be gone after one year in League 1, or will you still be in a good position to go again next season?

Which leads to the question, how damaging for Wycombe will it be should they miss out this time? Will the advantage be gone after one year in League 1, or will you still be in a good position to go again next season?
They will still be poor little wrcombe got no money the manager will still be a dickhead who thinks hes in his 20s so I suppose it won't really affect them to much

I think we'll still have a good shot at promotion next year. This is the strongest squad we've ever had (much stronger than the one which went up in 2020) and we'll keep the core of it. It's incredible that we're on course for about 80 points but probably still won't make the playoffs.

On the flip side, Ainsworth does tend to rely on older players, and this is the oldest squad in the league (probably the whole EFL). Key players such as Jacobson, Vokes, McCleary, Stewart, et al will all be another year older into their 30s. But who knows. I always back him to bring in the right players, as he has done so many times over the past decade

Your first point is really important! If we hadn't cheated in the playoff final against you lot in 2020 then there is no way we'd be in a position to be fighting at the top end of League One right now. Instead, we'd probably be down with the likes of Lincoln, Shrewsbury and Cambridge, where we were before that crazy season. Promotion really sets up a team for years to come, even if you get sent straight back down
Corrected it for you.

I'm repeating a point that I've made on here a few times before......

.......but although I do want to get promoted, because it will be fun (as well as financially lucrative) to test ourselves at Championship level......

......does anyone think that the Championship will actually be as fun as this?
Best case scenario is we go up and do a Blackpool, and have a boring midtable finish.
Worst case scenario is we go up and do a Peterborough, lose two thirds of our games and come straight back down.

But in League One, we're getting to enjoy a nine-way brawl for promotion with an array of teams ranging from the big & arrogant to the small & annoying. Goals galore. Big crowds at home, some massive grounds and crowds on our travels. And then the fact that there are also some really, really bad teams also adds to the enjoyment - who doesn't love sprinkling the odd 6-0 or 7-2 into the mix?

Obviously we all want the arrow to keep pointing up for OUFC.
But we should also take some time out to stop and smell the roses from time to time. League One is an awesome league, and this is arguably its greatest ever season, and we're slap bang in the middle of the drama!
I said exactly this to someone the other day. It's almost like you wish that this was the top flight from the point of view your ultimate ambition is to win the league, there is no promotion. I am equally caught between wanting to "test the water" in the Championship vs living this season ad finitum due to its immense enjoyment and excitement it has brought us this year.
I guess worst case if we do go up and struggle, at least we should be there to witness it, not like when we lost out to Wycombe and it was in the middle of Covid so they weren't able to go to games.
My only worry is if we were to miss out this season, whilst it wouldn't be the end of the world for me, we may well lose players again (and even the manager?) and have to rebuild somewhat.
Anyway I'm still optimistic we will make it this season - see you at Plymouth!

I said exactly this to someone the other day. It's almost like you wish that this was the top flight from the point of view your ultimate ambition is to win the league, there is no promotion. I am equally caught between wanting to "test the water" in the Championship vs living this season ad finitum due to its immense enjoyment and excitement it has brought us this year.
I guess worst case if we do go up and struggle, at least we should be there to witness it, not like when we lost out to Wycombe and it was in the middle of Covid so they weren't able to go to games.
My only worry is if we were to miss out this season, whilst it wouldn't be the end of the world for me, we may well lose players again (and even the manager?) and have to rebuild somewhat.
Anyway I'm still optimistic we will make it this season - see you at Plymouth!
It’s just nice to be chatting in these terms rather than bemoaning a disappointing or dull season

Corrected it for you.
I won't deny that Wycombe regularly toe the fine line between gaining a competitive advantage and cheating, but I'm not sure where/how we cheated in that playoff final? I can't even recall too much time-wasting

I won't deny that Wycombe regularly toe the fine line between gaining a competitive advantage and cheating, but I'm not sure where/how we cheated in that playoff final? I can't even recall too much time-wasting
I think one of the Wycombe substitutes shouting 'Leave It' as the ball was lofted up towards Moore, who let it go leading to the penalty probably can be classified as 'cheating'.

Last edited:
If my memory serves me well (it almost certainly doesn't), we just played pathetically in the final. Even our goal was almost certainly (despite what Sykes might have said) a mis-hit cross.

But I also suspect that Colin's comment was a little tongue-in-cheek. [edit: OK, maybe not!]

Regardless, that was one of the most disappointing games I've seen us play, and I've been a supporter since before we were promoted to the football league (the first time).

From an Oxford supporter point of view, that game was the most frustrated and angry I’ve been and I’m 54 years old so been watching them a long time. Even though we weren’t at our best we could still have won that game if we’d seized the important moments and not shot ourselves in the foot defensively. I also sensed that there was something lacking right from the off. We didn’t seem as ‘up for it’ as you lot somehow. It was such a momentous occasion and we just let it slip away.

If my memory serves me well (it almost certainly doesn't), we just played pathetically in the final. Even our goal was almost certainly (despite what Sykes might have said) a mis-hit cross.

But I also suspect that Colin's comment was a little tongue-in-cheek.

Regardless, that was one of the most disappointing games I've seen us play, and I've been a supporter since before we were promoted to the football league (the first time).
I’ve pretty much posted the same as you!

Replace "defenders" with "substitutes" and you've got it spot on.
Has this been proven or is it just conjecture? I've not heard of this before. I thought one of your defenders/goalkeeper told Moore to leave it

Even then, it's not our fault that Eastwood subsequently flattened Fred. He could have handled that situation so much better regardless. As could have Moore

From an Oxford supporter point of view, that game was the most frustrated and angry I’ve been and I’m 54 years old so been watching them a long time. Even though we weren’t at our best we could still have won that game if we’d seized the important moments and not shot ourselves in the foot defensively. I also sensed that there was something lacking right from the off. We didn’t seem as ‘up for it’ as you lot somehow. It was such a momentous occasion and we just let it slip away.
This was the impression I had too. In fact, it mirrored your performance at Adams Park in January. Loads of possession in both games, but no real cutting edge (until that fluke from Sykes), and no pace or intensity. Just passing the ball around in front of our defence for the sake of it, which played right into our hands

I think our style of play really suits playing against your current style under Robinson. Come to think of it, even the games at the Kassam this season and that playoff season had similar patterns, despite us not winning either. Once again, you had all of the ball in both but very few/no chances other than pot-shots from distance, and couldn't score against us with 10 men for 70 minutes after Bayo was sent off in the first one. Based purely on those games, it does surprise me that you've been scoring goals for fun against everyone else. But you can't judge a team from one-off snapshots

If there was VAR ( not t that many of us like VAR ) the penalty would not have been awarded.

Back
Top Bottom