National News The YF Conservative Leader Poll....

Who should I vote for in the Conservative leadership ballot?

• Rishi Sunak

Votes: 21 42.9%
  • Liz Truss

Votes: 20 40.8%
  • Scrawl "Boris" on the ballot

Votes: 8 16.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Might just resurrect this one as we`ve only got a short window if two candidates get 100 MP`s on board by Monday.

Boris
Penny
Rishi

Can anyone see beyond them?

If we get two candidates I`m not doing a poll again...... too much malevolence around here. ;) :)

Might just resurrect this one as we`ve only got a short window if two candidates get 100 MP`s on board by Monday.

Boris
Penny
Rishi

Can anyone see beyond them?

If we get two candidates I`m not doing a poll again...... too much malevolence around here. ;) :)
Boris? Really?

Apart from the unsuitability for the job, he’s facing an investigation for lying to parliament. Once found guilty, the country will have to go through the farce of finding another leader.

What do you think that will do to the Markets?

Boris? Really?

Apart from the unsuitability for the job, he’s facing an investigation for lying to parliament. Once found guilty, the country will have to go through the farce of finding another leader.

Do the Tories and narcissists like Boris really care about anything like that?

Do the Tories and narcissists like Boris really care about anything like that?
TBF that’s a good point. They all claim to love economic growth to justify cutting public services. But happy to trash that economic growth with something like Brexit to save a small number of party seats.

Some pro growth Tories (I’ve even seen them on here) also hate consumerism and immigration or any form of population increase. You couldn’t make it up. It’s almost as if they’re talking out of their economically growing backsides.

What will be interesting is if nobody gets a 100 votes, I presume the lettuce will end up as PM.
What a complete farce this is. All this shows is our political system is no longer fit for purpose.
Absolutely this. Our system only 'works' if politicians play by the unwritten rules of honour. Something that has been sadly lacking for the past few years.

Absolutely this. Our system only 'works' if politicians play by the unwritten rules of honour. Something that has been sadly lacking for the past few years.
The past few years!!!!???

Remember the expenses scandal? The Iraq war? Cash for honours? Bernie Ecclestone payments, Peter Mandelson mixing with shady Russian characters.

Some revisionism (or short memory) in your post, methinks.

Remember the expenses scandal? The Iraq war? Cash for honours? Bernie Ecclestone payments, Peter Mandelson mixing with shady Russian characters.

Some revisionism (or short memory) in your post, methinks.
The difference is that in the past people resigned. It's a recent phenomenon that politicians think a sorry, or sometimes not even that, will do for them to just carry on.

The main reason I wouldn't want Boris back as PM is listening to various vox pops on the media this morning. I've no objection to elected MPs - even Rees-Mogg - expressing an opinion, but when 'Maud from Grimsby' is asked who the next PM should be she initially looks confused and uncaring, but if Boris is then suggested she becomes animated and shrills 'oh yes, let's have Boris.'

No rhyme, no reason, no mention of 'getting Brexit done' or 'beating Putin in Ukraine' or 'he's funny, I've seen him on the tele', he's just someone Maud's heard of.

Please let is be Rishi or Penny.

Off the top of my head

Jeffrey Archer
Cecil Parkinson
Peter Jay
Jeremy Thorpe
John Stonehouse
John Profumo
Joseph Kagan
Lord Lambton

Apologies to any cheats, fraudsters, degenerates, double dealers, philanderers, scoundrels and shameless reprobates that I've missed....

Off the top of my head

Jeffrey Archer
Cecil Parkinson
Peter Jay
Jeremy Thorpe
John Stonehouse
John Profumo
Joseph Kagan
Lord Lambton

Apologies to any cheats, fraudsters, degenerates, double dealers, philanderers, scoundrels and shameless reprobates that I've missed....
I think our different examples show our age difference!

I do agree to some extent with what QR is saying, in that previously I believe a minority of honourable and intelligent people (the "old heads") would occasionally remind us that there was some good left in Parliament by resigning when they got caught being naughty. Unfortunately I think that minority has been lost at some point after the turn of the millennium.

Perhaps that reflects a greater change in our society, where honour, duty and decency have been sacrificed for relentless individualism.

• React
Reactions: QR
I just carried on from where you left off - that gets us back to the 60's and research would probably show dozens more (although it was easier to bury evidence before the advent of t'Internet!).

I think our different examples show our age difference!

I do agree to some extent with what QR is saying, in that previously I believe a minority of honourable and intelligent people (the "old heads") would occasionally remind us that there was some good left in Parliament by resigning when they got caught being naughty. Unfortunately I think that minority has been lost at some point after the turn of the millennium.

Perhaps that reflects a greater change in our society, where honour, duty and decency have been sacrificed for relentless individualism.
I think that the behaviour of powerful people influences the behaviour of the rest of the population far more than the other way around.

I think that the behaviour of powerful people influences the behaviour of the rest of the population far more than the other way around.
Agree
Not only politics but sport as well
Johnson’s behaviour means that should we be in another lockdown situation I won’t be obeying anything that comes from Diwning Street if that fucker Johnson returns
In fact we’re lucky enough to have a place in Spain and will spend as much time there as we can.
Unfortunately that means not seeing the Yellows so much

Boris? Really?

But the Tories are desperate and they only think of themselves!

Off the top of my head

Jeffrey Archer
Cecil Parkinson
Peter Jay
Jeremy Thorpe
John Stonehouse
John Profumo
Joseph Kagan
Lord Lambton

I feel it would also be appropriate to mention Keith Vaz and my personal favourite, David Weltzman, who was imprisoned in 1947 for 'unlawful supply of toilet preparations (lipstick)' - that would probably get him a Cabinet job now.

Back
Top Bottom