Home Match Day Thread 03/02/2024 L1: OUFC v Reading

MOTM

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
There's still a third of the season to go. I know that we've been poor during this second third, but it's madness to write off any hope with 16 games to play.

We could set up like this next weekend,

View attachment 17719

And we could have the likes of Goodrham, Dale, McGuane and Murphy on the bench.

I'm not saying that things are perfect, but I also can't understand the defeatist attitude.

I admire your optimism but sometimes reality has to bite. You’d still be banging the drum if we mathematically needed 15 wins from 15 games. Are you not see what’s happening - or more the point not happening - out there ? I sometimes don’t know what you see to remain so upbeat. Watch Des’s team, listen to Des’s interviews - he’s been a disastrous appointment so far. I can’t muster any optimism because I just know my eyes and ears aren’t deceiving me. Quite simply, Des is not good enough, we are not good enough.

It's not necessarily the position in the league that concerns me or the fact we won't go up.

It's the diabolical drivel we are serving up. No one knows what Des is trying to do.

I obviously am not a "Des hater" but I've realised the standard in the Indian league is obviously an absolute mile off of league one. Getting a manager in with no experience of managing a team in England was an enormous risk.

We were second best to a team in the relegation zone. It was absolute drivel. How many shots did we have?

This season is over but I'm seeing nothing to enthuse me about next season. Thank god Smyth scored a wonder goal at charlton and we got a late equaliser v pompey otherwise it would be worse on here.

I've got nothing else to say now. Thoroughly depressed with it all. Wasted opportunity and a club in total stagnation.

It's not necessarily the position in the league that concerns me or the fact we won't go up.

It's the diabolical drivel we are serving up. No one knows what Des is trying to do.

I obviously am not a "Des hater" but I've realised the standard in the Indian league is obviously an absolute mile off of league one. Getting a manager in with no experience of managing a team in England was an enormous risk.

We were second best to a team in the relegation zone. It was absolute drivel. How many shots did we have?

This season is over but I'm seeing nothing to enthuse me about next season. Thank god Smyth scored a wonder goal at charlton and we got a late equaliser v pompey otherwise it would be worse on here.

I've got nothing else to say now. Thoroughly depressed with it all. Wasted opportunity and a club in total stagnation.

Been meaning to check the stats
1706997984345.png

Attachments

• 1706997565313.png
    1706997565313.png
    16 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
People talking up the players that are allegedly coming back from injury, please, have a day off!

You can have any player you like in the Xl but if you cannot be disciplined without the ball and continue to concede goals at the rate that we do, it will not matter who plays.

While we are talking players though, Goodwin won’t start. He’s not had a full days training since he’s been here. Matete played his first minutes in months today and will be on the bench, Murphy probably won’t even travel and Bodin remains touch and go (at best). Oh, don’t worry though, Sam Long will be back to steady the ship.

Harris will be up front, Goodrham and Burey will start, MM and Brannagan will be in midfield. Rinse and repeat.

Just because he only came on with 7 minutes to go, doesn't mean that he couldn't have played longer. And, we can start players and replace them with fresher legs later in the game.

Well if he could play longer than why did he not come on for Mcguane atleast 20 minutes earlier when it was clear as day Reading were bossing the midfield and finding space in the middle?

Des's substitutions are very questionable if you ask me. Burey going off for Odonkor Tuesday night for instance where Pompey took less than one minute after that change to equalise. It was like the players didn't know where the were supposed to be and that substitution made the whole side disjointed.

Just because he only came on with 7 minutes to go, doesn't mean that he couldn't have played longer. And, we can start players and replace them with fresher legs later in the game.

But either way, you miss the point. SIXTEEN games to go, and we could be putting out a hugely different side in just 7 days. There are no guarantees, and we still have to find a way to get the best from them. But the idea of giving up at this stage of the season is as bizarre to me as it was when people were saying that we'd definitely go down last season.

We've heard people bemoaning the atmosphere in a derby today, but when you see that some posters on here have given up already then it's no wonder that games feel as flat as they do.

So we were struggling and Buckingham waited till then to bring Matete on even though he could of bought him on earlier?

So we were struggling and Buckingham waited till then to bring Matete on even though he could have bought him on earlier?
He should’ve brought Smyth on for Rodrigues and Matete on for McGuane as soon as Reading made that triple change. His failure to anticipate how those changes would impact pretty much kept us out of the game cold for the remaining 15-20mins and we just deteriorated and almost capitulated. You cannot be putting on a defensive midfielder with minutes to go drawing 1-1 against a relegation team.

He should’ve brought Smyth on for Rodrigues and Matete on for McGuane as soon as Reading made that triple change. His failure to anticipate how those changes would impact pretty much kept us out of the game cold for the remaining 15-20mins and we just deteriorated and almost capitulated. You cannot be putting on a defensive midfielder with minutes to go drawing 1-1 against a relegation team.
I think Henry should have come on for Rodrigues. Smyth wasn't on the bench. Pretty unlucky to miss out if you ask me, or was it an injury?

I think Henry should have come on for Rodrigues. Smyth wasn't on the bench. Pretty unlucky to miss out if you ask me, or was it an injury?

If Smyth had been on the bench I think he would of gone to right back at half time given how badly Negru was fairing there.

Yeah just realised he wasn’t on the bench - my mind is a bit of a blank after Tuesday so it’s either an injury or he may have been rested in place of Negru starting. If he’s fit then surely he would’ve made the bench especially as Stevens is injured. Henry definitely should’ve had the final 10 minutes,

Negru is a centre back and a very good one. He is not a right back. He had to cover as both our right backs were injured. He did his best, fair enough. Throw on a defensive midfielder who hasn't played for months may have invited further pressure

Why do we bother looking at stats, mean nothing, we could have 99.9* not score, they have one shot and score 3pts. How many times has this happened

Back
Top Bottom