Away Match Build Up 16/03/24 - L1: Port Vale v OUFC

What will the result be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The family have a big involvement in the Vale ,please turn up Oxford. But it's set up perfectly no win in 13 ,Moore no wins .What could possibly go wrong. After Tuesday you would expect a performance, this is a real test for Des and the team if you can't get a result there we are heading for a bid decision.

Des said everyone except Matete is fit so it will be interesting to see if WG is still benched.

In a mess of a game on Tuesday he was significantly more solid that Stevens.
Totally agree. At least Sam came on and started trying to pass in a forward direction. His contribution wasn’t great but marginally better than most others.

I fear Port Vale doing the double over us tomorrow but I think the most obvious result is 0-0.

Totally agree. At least Sam came on and started trying to pass in a forward direction. His contribution wasn’t great but marginally better than most others.

I fear Port Vale doing the double over us tomorrow but I think the most obvious result is 0-0.

What about when he dithered on the ball and nearly let the striker in? Stevens is way better than Long.

If Cam Bran and any of the others are as wound up and frustrated as Cam sounds, will they be able to keep themselves under control if things start going badly on Saturday? Hope we manage to avoid any red cards, particularly given what happened in the reverse game at the Kassam.

What about when he dithered on the ball and nearly let the striker in? Stevens is way better than Long.
Yes I know. Clearly Sam is a bit limited in terms of defending but he’s the only player we have at the back who is capable of moving the ball forward and finding a reliable pass. He might even make a better midfielder than defender. πŸ€·β€β™‚οΈ

He came on when we were getting battered by Bolton, clearly not 100% hence the bandaged head but he didn’t go missing like 7 or 8 of the others. Yes he did dither or get caught out of position more than once in the second half, and Bolton scored one further goal from Long’s side in the second half. But I feel he tried getting the ball forward more than any of our midfielders did.

A game like Port Vale is ideal for Sam to play in and rebuild his confidence and fitness. Several others need dropping.

Quite like a trip to Vale. Bulls Head pub as mentioned is decent.

Away fans are in the opposite end to our previous visits.

If McGuane and Rodrigues start I will be amazed. There's no way both of them can keep their place.
Would like to see Goodwin start

If Cam Bran and any of the others are as wound up and frustrated as Cam sounds, will they be able to keep themselves under control if things start going badly on Saturday? Hope we manage to avoid any red cards, particularly given what happened in the reverse game at the Kassam.
The home game was by all accounts one that we should have won and would have done so were it not for a combination of bad luck, strange refereeing and our own indiscipline.

The same thing could certainly happen on Saturday. Coming out the blocks fired up doesn't necessarily translate to three easy points. If we have a man sent off or Vale score first I fear we will buckle as we are so short of confidence.

Yes I know. Clearly Sam is a bit limited in terms of defending but he’s the only player we have at the back who is capable of moving the ball forward and finding a reliable pass. He might even make a better midfielder than defender. πŸ€·β€β™‚οΈ

He came on when we were getting battered by Bolton, clearly not 100% hence the bandaged head but he didn’t go missing like 7 or 8 of the others. Yes he did dither or get caught out of position more than once in the second half, and Bolton scored one further goal from Long’s side in the second half. But I feel he tried getting the ball forward more than any of our midfielders did.

A game like Port Vale is ideal for Sam to play in and rebuild his confidence and fitness. Several others need dropping.
Before Long's illness people on here were lambasting his qualities and performances. As many have said he's not a top league 1 defender.
His performances have been abysmal this season, hence why the opposition target our right hand side, how many goals have we conceded from that side?
Mind you the alternative of Stevens doesn't fill me with much confidence.
The goalkeeper and back 4 need a major rethink for next season.
That's not a promotion winning back 5.
Then there's the midfield to sort on top of that.
A lot of very careful recruitment required in the summer regardless of who the manager may be.

Just as a reminder for everyone.....

Port Vale were 2nd after the games on September 16th with five wins from their first seven. In their 29 games since, they have won 3, drawn 8 and lost 18.

Only Carlisle can rival them for futility over the last six months......noone else (not even Fleetwood or Cheltenham) is even close. Even under Des, we've been comfortably better than they have.

There's no easier game in the division than this one. Even after Tuesday's horror show, there's still no excuses for not picking up three points tomorrow.

Only a win will do. We had some fortune with Stevenage losing midweek but we should be equally worried about Lincoln and Blackpool so all we can do is win our match(es) and hope for the best elsewhere. Manning lost to this lot and whilst much has changed for both clubs since, it probably wont be an easy game as the table would suggest. As it stands right now, I firmly believe we are relegation material form.

Only a win will do. We had some fortune with Stevenage losing midweek but we should be equally worried about Lincoln and Blackpool so all we can do is win our match(es) and hope for the best elsewhere. Manning lost to this lot and whilst much has changed for both clubs since, it probably wont be an easy game as the table would suggest. As it stands right now, I firmly believe we are relegation material form.

Whatever form table you choose (6, 8, 10 games), we are in a relegation scrap but sitting just outside the relegation zone.

Meanwhile Port Vale are in the bottom two and adrift.

It may be the case that there are no easy games in League One. But at the same time, there's none that are easier than this one.

Just as a reminder for everyone.....

Port Vale were 2nd after the games on September 16th with five wins from their first seven. In their 29 games since, they have won 3, drawn 8 and lost 18.

Only Carlisle can rival them for futility over the last six months......noone else (not even Fleetwood or Cheltenham) is even close. Even under Des, we've been comfortably better than they have.

There's no easier game in the division than this one. Even after Tuesday's horror show, there's still no excuses for not picking up three points tomorrow.
If only football was so easy.

Back
Top Bottom