Home Match Day Thread 18/12/2021 L1: OUFC v Wigan Athletic

Status
Not open for further replies.
You tell us, the original owner who sold it him was looking to offload us because his company had been vastly devalued on the Hong Kong stock exchange, so it was some kind of fiddle as no money changed hands between him and the fellow who supposedly bought it, yet the EFL saw fit to deem this fellow was a fit and proper person, the whole episode stank.
We agree on that point!

Genuine question - how stable is the new ownership in terms of long term plans for the club and funds to keep you afloat?

Sunderland offered Wyke a reduced contract, yet claim he earned 10k a week so we must be or even more, not sure but I know we pay Will Keane a pittance so it balances out, although I expect Keane has probably had a pay rise based on what he has done this season, I will repeat our CEO says that the playing budget is well within the limits they set.
While we talk about how much Wyke is paid do you not think it cuts both ways, Bodmin for example came as a free agent to yourselves he was on a good package at Preston and would have had a decent signing on fee.
You've made an assumption there whereas I happen to know (due to my previously indicated sources) that Bodin was indeed a free agent and is on a very average L1 wage - he is in the mid-range of our salaries.

The fact that he's only played in a few games shows this was the right call.

But your "previously indicated sources" didn't stand up to scrutiny last time, you told a fellow fan that you knew McLean earned a little less than what he quoted c.10k, then when I posted about the money he still received from Stoke you said you just didn't explain the makeup of how his wages were being paid, but never said it was different to the slightly less than '10k', even Stoke have said he was earning one million + pounds a year and they have had to meet over half his wages to get him to sign for Wigan, by your "sources" calculations does that mean we pay him nothing.
No it doesn't and you've misunderstood what I meant. Equally I'm not going into a minutiae level of detail to unravel it all as I really can't be bothered. I think we can both agree that Wigan have some well paid players and a number who are on higher wages than those at Oxford. One of those players showed on Saturday that this can win games when he scored a cracking winner.

What are your views on your current owners - there for the long term or looking to make a quick profit? I don't know too much about them so would be interested to know.

But your "previously indicated sources" didn't stand up to scrutiny last time, you told a fellow fan that you knew McLean earned a little less than what he quoted c.10k, then when I posted about the money he still received from Stoke you said you just didn't explain the makeup of how his wages were being paid, but never said it was different to the slightly less than '10k', even Stoke have said he was earning one million + pounds a year and they have had to meet over half his wages to get him to sign for Wigan, by your "sources" calculations does that mean we pay him nothing.
Actually I've just re-read this and it looks like we are in agreement of sorts. If McLean is on c.£1m per year, that is £19,120 per week. If Stoke are meeting over half his wages then that they'll be paying around £11k per week which leaves c.£8k a week for Wigan to find which ties up nicely with what I've been told 'Wigan are paying McLean' and why I said he was earning nearly twice what our top earners are. I will admit I wasn't aware of the extra Stoke element.

So looks like my source is pretty good then.

The problem any owners of Wigan FC face is it is a rugby league town like St Helens, Castleford, and Warrington, so the fan base is limited, meaning to achieve success the club needs money input from someone with deep pockets.
Who has the time or money to attend both these days? Anyway football supporters are probably considered oiks by their rugby counterparts.

I was at the Man Citeh/Wigan final and I reckon there were 12k tops from Wigan. Lots of excuses about no trains back to the north after the match but is shows the limitations

Actually I've just re-read this and it looks like we are in agreement of sorts. If McLean is on c.£1m per year, that is £19,120 per week. If Stoke are meeting over half his wages then that they'll be paying around £11k per week which leaves c.£8k a week for Wigan to find which ties up nicely with what I've been told 'Wigan are paying McLean' and why I said he was earning nearly twice what our top earners are. I will admit I wasn't aware of the extra Stoke element.

So looks like my source is pretty good then.
Is McLean on loan?

Nobody was posting on social media about a team being ripped apart and the firesale that took place where received a fraction of the true worth of players, to name a few, Moore (Cardiff), Robinson(Fulham), Kipre(WBA), Lowe(Bournemouth), Morsy and Evans (Ipswich) , and the really galling ones our academy stars Geldhart (Leeds), Weir(Brighton), Devine (Spurs), Joseph (Swansea) the list goes on and on of other proven Championship players all sold for a fraction of their cost, did you read any of that or even about oue administration where the only person or business that was owed anything g was the owner in Hong Kong who had purchased Wigan days before he placed them into administration.

I'm calling horseshit on that as I saw these issues discussed in non Wigan Athletic forums at the time and took part in some of those discussions.

Is McLean on loan?
No he signed a one year contract with Wigan but presumably part of that deal was for Stoke to pay over 50% of his wages rather than the 100% they'd have had to pay if he had remained at Stoke as his 4 year contract there would have run until Summer 2022.

Looking at T'Internet, it looks like McCLean had fallen out with O'Neill the Stoke Manager due to disciplinary issues.

No he signed a one year contract with Wigan but presumably part of that deal was for Stoke to pay over 50% of his wages rather than the 100% they'd have had to pay if he had remained at Stoke as his 4 year contract there would have run until Summer 2022.

Looking at T'Internet, it looks like McCLean had fallen out with O'Neill the Stoke Manager due to disciplinary issues.
So maybe he’s on a benign wedge but obviously from what you have said which I didn’t know was that part of his high wage was paid by Stoke. Wonder what they will do next season?

I couldn’t give a crap what their players are on. If they’re paying over the odds they’ll be back in trouble again soon. I do know we matched them all over the park with, what 5 first team players out of action. Yeah we lost, I don’t even care! It’s the performance that counts and given the circumstances I thought we were fantastic. In fact Wigan won and we’re second best. You don’t always get what you deserve in football but if we keep playing like we have been this season we won’t be far away.

Are you saying that if you would have had those five regular first team players on the pitch they would have performed better the the ones on show, how do you know this and if its the case can you tell me why Oxford have failed to win 11 of their 22 league games this season ?

Er, yeah, very probably.

Or are you going to tell us you know more about the team we watch every week than we do?

Are you saying that if you would have had those five regular first team players on the pitch they would have performed better the the ones on show, how do you know this and if its the case can you tell me why Oxford have failed to win 11 of their 22 league games this season ?

We had our last seasons player of the year playing out of position in the back four and a midfielder with a handful of appearances this season filling in at right back.

We lost Cameron Brannagan, Herbie Kane and James Henry from the midfield. These three have been recognised by opposition fans and managers for their performances this, and previous seasons, as well as being at the top end of independent performance ratings.

So, whilst those who played gave everything, it's likely that we would have played to our strengths had we been able to put our full team out. Would that have affected the result? No one knows.

Do you think you'd have still won if you were missing Tilt, Naylor, Power and McLean?

We had our last seasons player of the year playing out of position in the back four and a midfielder with a handful of appearances this season filling in at right back.

We lost Cameron Brannagan, Herbie Kane and James Henry from the midfield. These three have been recognised by opposition fans and managers for their performances this, and previous seasons, as well as being at the top end of independent performance ratings.

So, whilst those who played gave everything, it's likely that we would have played to our strengths had we been able to put our full team out. Would that have affected the result? No one knows.

Do you think you'd have still won if you were missing Tilt, Naylor, Power and McLean?

Not COVID so strictly speaking not relevant, but it would have been a Gorrin type game IMO.

They ob

Answered your own question there I feel. 🤷‍♀️

There is a reason they are regular first teamers, they perform better............ :)

Tilt is playing because of injury to Watts and Kerr, we are missing Cousins in midfield, and Wyke up front, we are having to play a full back (Bennet)that is 3 games in after a long layoff and playing for Wigan for the first time, again because of injuries to Robinson and Pearce.
These injuries are stopping us playing "our strengths" a preferred three at the back, meaning Power has to play midfield, and he is not a stopper to break your intricate play up like Cousins would have been, look at the number of goals we have conceded in the last few games since these injuries and how many we did before, having players unavailable is not the preserve of just Oxford.
Ps. I forgot to add, all these players we have been together only 3 to 4 months not the 2 to three years many of your squad has as you refer to.
You simply have no idea!!

By the way, I see that you're game is off on Boxing Day! I guess that's because you're running scared like you accused us of?!

Absolutely remarkable…

Is this the first time we’ve ever had every single member of another club’s fanbase all whinging on our forum on the one thread..?

Must be some kind of record.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom