Home Match Day Thread 29/12/2021 L1: OUFC v AFC Wimbledon

Status
Not open for further replies.
I fear for the attendance tonight. There appears to be fewer than 135 people in the ground.
This didn’t age well. Where did everyone come from? It went from a ghost town to a decent’ish attendance in about 2 minutes.

Also, given the lack of traffic last night (before and after the match), I assume that many OUFC fans received teleportation devices for Christmas.

Considering their letter to the EFL about getting games on its a shame they didn’t turn up, probably the worst away team to play up here this season.
Their fans were more interested in singing about Robbo, which he loved and even gave them a thank you wave after our third went in.
We were playing it around them for fun, some great play from the yellows but let’s be honest, they were shite.

No one knew how reliant we were on the Ultras until they were harrassed out of the club. No ultras no atmosphere.

Even in no atmosphere it's still enjoyable to see the boys rampant like we were tonight though.-

I’m sorry but I’m just not having this ‘ultras’ excuse.

There is absolutely nothing stopping the 300/400 that stand at the back of the east stand starting the songs and creating an unofficial singing section. What’s more, there is nothing stopping the rest of the stadium clapping and banging their feet and generally making a racket.

You don’t/shouldn’t need a dedicated supporters group to make a noise.

Newsflash: flags and banners do not make the stadium and noisier.

As for the team: we were utterly sublime! Get January right and we are going to be right in the mix. If you don’t feel the urge to back the boys vocally now, I’m not sure you ever will.

It’s strange as on radio Oxford the atmosphere was mentioned a number of times in a positive way - Jerome etc saying how loud the fans were and how they made a lot of noise and kept going. Also sounded fairly loud on my TV.

As for Williams MOTM, he had a good game for sure but I think for me Kane just pipped him. Sykes also was right up there and perhaps played slightly better than Williams - but they were all brilliant!

There is absolutely nothing stopping the 300/400 that stand at the back of the east stand starting the songs and creating an unofficial singing section. What’s more, there is nothing stopping the rest of the stadium clapping and banging their feet and generally making a racket.

As for the team: we were utterly sublime! Get January right and we are going to be right in the mix. If you don’t feel the urge to back the boys vocally now, I’m not sure you ever will.
Completely agree on fan and player comments.

Somebody sat at home watching on iFollow and complaining about the atmosphere is always very odd.

Got anything for us yet @ECYellow ;)

Well that was an enjoyable evening I don't think I'm exaggerating when I say we could have scored 7 every time we attacked we looked like scoring
The atmosphere was decent aswel last night as someone else mentioned I dunno where all these people came from and after where they disappeared to but the street and roads were quite
Good evening all round in the end get January sorted don't lose any of our best players and we will be going up

So this is the old defense-minded pragmatist in me.......

.....but what I really like about Williams, compared with Holland, is that he's extremely experienced and defensively responsible. Hell, we know he can play left back if he needs to.

This.

Course it doesn't hurt that Williams is also very good going forwards - not quite as quick and/or tricky as Holland, but arguably a better end product.

This.

Think the XI we saw tonight should be our starting XI going forwards for as long as we can keep rolling it out.......

And this. Williams' movement off the ball, crossing and work-rate put him a level above the other wingers we've has the last few seasons (Browne excepted in attack).

Left side of defence needs him, and could do with strengthening although Seddon's OK going forward.

This.

This.

And this. Williams' movement off the ball, crossing and work-rate put him a level above the other wingers we've has the last few seasons (Browne excepted in attack).

Left side of defence needs him, and could do with strengthening although Seddon's OK going forward.
He does give us far more bite in attack than Holland, and certainly helps with our pressing game as he has non stop energy.

Is also a very decent player and at the moment is our first choice wide left player for me.

He does give us far more bite in attack than Holland, and certainly helps with our pressing game as he has non stop energy.

Is also a very decent player and at the moment is our first choice wide left player for me.
It’s a great conversation isn’t it, who’s better Holland or Williams?
What we’d have given to have been talking like this a few years ago!

Very enjoyable and entertaining match last night, we dominated from start to finish. Our passing and movement just seems to get better and better every game. Really hope the Cheltenham game goes ahead to keep the momentum going.
Well done OUFC !!!

FHzy6xqXsAUYfdd
Was this photo taken a split second before he was punched in the face?

It’s a great conversation isn’t it, who’s better Holland or Williams?
What we’d have given to have been talking like this a few years ago!
It's a toughie isn't it. Williams with his engine, work tracking back and crossing. Holland with his skill and moments of magic that can decide a game. Against a better team you may need Holland to unlock a packed defence, but then you sacrifice on defensive stability.

It's certainly better than "Sam Deering plus 10" not so long ago...

Another super display last night. Could have been 5 or 6. IMO we are every bit as good as the teams around us and better than some. We really have a chance of automatic promotion this season. Have a decent January transfer market and we will make it. Exciting times to be a Mighty Yellows supporters!!

It's a toughie isn't it. Williams with his engine, work tracking back and crossing. Holland with his skill and moments of magic that can decide a game. Against a better team you may need Holland to unlock a packed defence, but then you sacrifice on defensive stability.

It's certainly better than "Sam Deering plus 10" not so long ago...
It wasn't even that long ago we were watching Hunt and Newey at full back. Compare that to Long and Seddon!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom