Home Match Day Thread 29/12/2021 L1: OUFC v AFC Wimbledon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good performance tonight, in my opinion no stand out performances just solid 7s and 8s all over the park and that was all that was needed to beat them. We have a few more gears we can go through.

Think Taylor's goal may have been ruled offside if we had VAR in league one! View attachment 7689
Is there a still of when Whyte actually played it though? It's 5 foot away from his boot in that image.

I actually thought it was offside at the time and was pleasantly surprised when nothing was given.

Lovely result and performance. We absolutely hammered them with some utterly superb football.

Kane was superb and MOM for me. Cam Bran excellent as well.
Both wingers were very good. Very nice to see Gavin Whyte with 2 assists from excellent crosses. Pity he didn't take that early chance to get scoring. Ryan Williams was a threat and a pity Sedds crossed when he could have put Wiiliams through towards the end of the game.

Nobody had less than a good game.
Whyte on his natural right and has a brilliant game. Whodathunk?!

Slightly strange performance for me. I genuinely don't even think we were that good. Some sloppy passing, not a lot of movement off the ball, no defence-splitting passes (until Thorniley, Kane and Brannagan started bombing it over that left back's head second half). We have played better than that a number of times this year and had more difficult games, it felt like we never really got out of second gear. But that in itself is incredibly promising - to win that comfortably and still have two or three levels better to go if needed is pretty exciting.

Thought Whyte had a really good game. Two excellent assists. The guy is absolutely allergic to scoring though.

Kane news brilliant. Reckon we have to steel ourselves for Bran leaving, though. If that release clause is six figures he'll be an absolute steal for any side in the Championship.

Fair play to the Wombles fans. Don't particularly like them as a fan base and their constant stick to KR is genuinely so embarrassing, but they made a really good noise throughout (especially given they had quite literally nothing to cheer). The 'We've had a shot' chant got a chuckle from me.
To me that is totally different to how I ( and everybody I spoke to) saw the game
We were excellent and should easily have scored 5 or 6.

Enjoyed Robbo applauding the Wimbledon supporters after the third goal. They’re arses.

It’s good to see us tossing inadequate opponents aside. We really looked championship quality tonight.

However reckon we still have three other serious promotion rivals to definitely worry about. It would be one of the greatest stories in our history if we make it this season.

Can see this team getting results anywhere so fingers crossed.

Williams again deserved Mom. Why’s he been sidelined to date?

So this is the old defense-minded pragmatist in me.......

.....but what I really like about Williams, compared with Holland, is that he's extremely experienced and defensively responsible. Hell, we know he can play left back if he needs to.

Steve Seddon is at his best when he joins the attack, and plays way forward as often as possible. When Williams is playing, he is much freer to do that without us having to sacrifice defensive solidity because we know that Williams will be able to fill in as needed.

Course it doesn't hurt that Williams is also very good going forwards - not quite as quick and/or tricky as Holland, but arguably a better end product.

Think the XI we saw tonight should be our starting XI going forwards for as long as we can keep rolling it out.......

And let’s not forget that Sam Long scored from the left wing, playing at RB. Sublime!

"Didn’t expect anything from tonight and wasn’t disappointed. The only thing confirmed tonight is that Karl Robinson is a man with no class and is still an arrogant goading scouse ***t."

A comment from the Wimbledon forum. KR goaded them apparently, never mind they were chanting abusive stuff at him first!! The author really needs to get a tougher skin if waving at them is "goading".

Oxford County council parking wardens wish all football supporters a very happy new year....by slapping a WEDNESDAY night parking ticket on every car (it seemed) parked on Knights road ....did they do similar elsewhere in the area too?
Chanced it by parking on Minchery Road and didn’t experience any ticketing issues, though I was under the (clearly mistaken) impression that they wouldn’t be dishing them out at that hour!

I think #37 Osew looked pretty impressive as a right wingback was their best player.
Agreed. I was actually about to post about this but think he would be a great signing if we could bag him. Very very tidy despite facing lots of pressure, clearly a ball player too

FHzy6xqXsAUYfdd

First half we absolutely toyed with them, second half we came out a bit slow then got back to it, any time the momentum seemed to swing we’d pen them in trying to play it out and get possession in their half. Can’t believe how determined they were to play that way

Kane and Brannagan are a ridiculous pair to have at this level they really are

Have to say though the atmosphere was depressing once again though
Shame because it was electric against Wigan. Maybe the nature of the game against a visibly weaker team meant there was less stress in the crowd, less stress, less reason to shout, quieter ground. Wimbledon fans will always have that underdog mentality to spur them on more.

Or maybe everyone was just enjoying what was on display so much that they were speechless?

"Didn’t expect anything from tonight and wasn’t disappointed. The only thing confirmed tonight is that Karl Robinson is a man with no class and is still an arrogant goading scouse ***t."

A comment from the Wimbledon forum. KR goaded them apparently, never mind they were chanting abusive stuff at him first!! The author really needs to get a tougher skin if waving at them is "goading".

I think KR sees it as pantomime and plays up to the villain character. For entertainment and nothing arrogant about it. Wimbledon fans really need to start getting over the MK thing

I really hope they go down.
Judging by that truly pathetic performance from Wimbledon last light, I think you could get your wish.

They set out to put 11 men behind the ball on their own 18 yard line and as a result just couldn't get out - they didn't manage a shot in the first half. Even when they were two down they kept doing it.

I thought we played them off the pitch - there was never a point in the game where anyone in the home stands was in the least nervous! - despite not being at our absolute best. Let's hope the Cheltenham game is on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom