Home Match Build Up 23/01/2024 L1: OUFC vs Barnsley

Who Will Win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

uptheus

I think the wind/weather could spoil the game, but hope we can find a win

Yes, Mansfield away, abandoned at half time because of the strong wind. I can't remember which season, but I seem to recall that Howard Webb was the referee.
David Oldfield was our (caretaker) manager at the time, I think.

Mansfield biased? That's the understatement of the decade, really bitter article 🤣
Considering the article describes Howard Webb as 'a disgrace to his profession' he had quite a successful career, including refereeing a World Cup Final! It's a appallingly biased piece.

He seems to have missed out the bit where Mansfield fans were spitting at Oxford fans while we were trying to get back onto the coaches.
I remember that. We had to walk out right past where a whole load of Mansfield fans were yelling abuse, and worse, just separated by a fence.

Very tough game and a good test for us. We had a cracking win up there earlier this season but much has changed since then even thought
both sides are in the playoff hunt.

I fear the weather will impact the match and I’m not expecting a huge turnout either. Could this be the first league game in a long while to fall below 7,000 I wonder…

I do remember a match (not one of ours) being abandoned because the ball wouldn't stay still for goal kicks etc

Windiest match I remember from the Kassam was this farcical game back in 2004 - nearly 20 years ago 😨.

Their equaliser is crazy. And the late Paul McCarthy with the winner.

A bit of the South Stand blew off that day too.

This will be the first time I've ever seen United play at home on any 23rd January, because we always seem to be scheduled to play an away game whenever this date falls on a Saturday (there was a home game scheduled on Sat 23/01/1988 but it fell victim to the weather)

This will be the first time I've ever seen United play at home on any 23rd January, because we always seem to be scheduled to play an away game whenever this date falls on a Saturday (there was a home game scheduled on Sat 23/01/1988 but it fell victim to the weather)
Now this is the kind of stat I like to see 👏

Back
Top Bottom